Light Weight Vs. Stock flywheels

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
figgie;1079143 said:
The problem is not the flywheel though.

The problem is that the lightweight flywheel (just like coil overs) are a freaking race part!

What that means is that they need to be INSPECTED FREQUENTLY!

Yet here we are with people burning the living shit out of the racepart thinking it is a street part. All race parts are a double edge sword which no one ever accounts for. You get lighter part but in reality, requires a HECK of alot more attention than the install and forget stock part!

agreed.. but thats the problem indeed.

selfinfliction

Dec 11, 2007
ky
figgie;1079143 said:
You get lighter part but in reality, requires a HECK of alot more attention than the install and forget stock part!

next thing you know, you're gonna tell me that the oil needs to be changed more frequently than every 24,000 miles :3d_frown:

:icon_razz

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
Dylan JZ;1079132 said:
Dude, the only flywheel I'd buy if I had to would be one of two, the JUN and theres one other company from JP. Even then as CK and Brent said its best to stay stock and spend your money on other things.. I've had countless friends fry the fidanzas and some of the others, they're all stock now.

Like I said earlier, my DD has had one for over a year. Aluminum is better at dissipating heat, and except for taking off, I wouldnt be slipping it much because I know how to drive with it. I just think going from 18 lbs to 8.3 was a tad big of a jump as a DD and if I had a choice, I'd prefer 10 lbs on it. Nonetheless, I absolutely love my 8 lb one on the Miata. I think 11 lbs is also a big jump for the Supra, so with a slightly less drastic gap, it would do well.

holdbrooks

Aug 24, 2006
Alaslama
i cant say i noticed much drivability difference on mine. the rotating assemble is heavy as hell anyways. I think it drives better than before because it feels as free revving engages a lot like my focus that I have been driving for years. and i have yet to stall the supra and i barely have to slip it at all.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
for dd the lighter the best tell the point of it being to week

wheels wheel that i have owned

fudenza with was hella off blanced when i got it some stock clutch will not fit in the center dude to piss poor manfactoring i thinks it is fixed now and if not can be fix pretty easy never chattered

stock fly wheel that has bean lighten back side front side and were the ring gear fits on pretty much every where you can take weight off stock is 22 or 24 pounds don't remmber mine was 17 to 18
i whould not take any more weight off it never chattered as well

ok this is where it gets fun when you run really flimesy fly wheel and 3 to 4 puck clutchs you now have to rev match where evr you go or you have chatter master

there all so the case of people welding there clutches to there fly wheel mostly fuldenza

unorthadock claimes to have specil coating or steel what ever don't remmber now to stop welding have yet to ever here a person to weld these befor but nore was i looking

i know dave mr grim jack runs an rps and has no issue wiht welding far as i know of or peoepl wiht that clutch

so after alot of thinking on what i wanted to do wiht my car i whent with xtd since it's flexy and seam to be rather thick were it needs to be and cormolly what type have not clue and it alot cheeper then the rest but it is soild and in other car froums no one has any big issue at all besides i love it and some of them are out blance but not by much you shoudl ckeack blance on every thin you put in you car but that is just me

oh if you are full or dragger the stock fly wheel will be your friend out fo the hole and not you friend down the track

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
OEM flywheels have worked for me but if you plan on racing, it would be wise to inspect them also. With heat, you will get cracks. (I did)

Duane

Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE

SF what a waste of supras
Jun 22, 2006
SoCal
www.myspace.com
If your going to spend money to upgrade a clutch do it right.
Dont get a high spring force pressure plate (crank walk).
3-4 pucks clutch disc suck for daily chatter your teeth out.
6 puck sprung is maybe managable.

Best option is stock flywheel or Tilton or OS giken the come with light weight flywheels and disc that disipate alot of force and heat and could be driven daily.

Multi disk kit with light weight flywheel designed for the clutch is the way to go!

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
upgradedsupra;1080633 said:
I'm just pointing out that although people think OEM can handle power, it can also crack, that's all. ;)

And when you think of the energy stored in the big spinning chunk of cast iron that's in line with your legs and only seperated by a single sheet of .9mm steel cracks are the LAST thing you want!

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
When the fourstroke Otto engine was devolped, the flywheel was added to help the engine through nonproductive strokes. But since an engine with more than 4 cylinders is never in a non productive stroke....

bountykilla0118

In Pursuit of 500rwhp
Jul 16, 2005
Atlanta GA
......our 6 cylinders are always productive and the weight of the flywheels is not as important as it would be for a 4cylinder car…..

1-2clutch-u

Feb 18, 2006
chi town and ohio
humm im kinda afraid now. I just thought about this guy i saw at the track with one leg. he said he shatared his flywheel back in the day and thats why he lost one of his legs. shyt i dont wanna add weight but i think im gonna do a scater shild. any one know who makes one?