Light Weight Vs. Stock flywheels

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
that's what my dad does in his 18 wheeler, he said he hardly ever uses the clutch...

I'm afraid of doing it in the supra though, dont wanna get the big CRRRRUNCHHHHHH...

MRSUPRA

Apr 11, 2005
Maryland
I had a fidanza flywheel for a while, until it welded to the clutch disc during a burnout. car did feel slightly lighter it's feet with the lightweight flywheel, but there was also more chatter when engauging the clutch.

It's a no-brainer for me. Reliability is most important, and the stock flywheel never gave me problems.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
RazoE;1077299 said:
that's what my dad does in his 18 wheeler, he said he hardly ever uses the clutch...

I'm afraid of doing it in the supra though, don't wanna get the big CRRRRUNCHHHHHH...

18 wheelers don't have syncros....this is how they are all driven...clutch is only used when getting the truck to move from a dead stop.....after that its all rpm matching...which is why you hear soooo many rigs grinding gears when driveing threw town.

benchwarmer

Straight Cougar
Aug 2, 2007
Lancaster, CA
If you're making over 600hp you probably wouldn't even notice the difference. Besides, at that power level durability becomes a major concern and durability takes precedence over weight.

cruzian7m

virgin islands native
Jul 31, 2005
phila,pa
I'm curious, do a lighter flywheel affect boost response, as to say does it come in at the same rpm as would the stock flywheel, i know boost pressure comes in under a load, so if you have a lighter rotating assembly; is the load less? I was told that the lighter flywheel would benefit an NA motor more than a turbo motor. Just tryin to get an education since i'm in the slow process of rebuilding my 7m. Thanks for any positive input.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
cruzian7m;1078621 said:
I'm curious, do a lighter flywheel affect boost response, as to say does it come in at the same rpm as would the stock flywheel, i know boost pressure comes in under a load, so if you have a lighter rotating assembly; is the load less? I was told that the lighter flywheel would benefit an NA motor more than a turbo motor. Just tryin to get an education since i'm in the slow process of rebuilding my 7m. Thanks for any positive input.

I would think a lighter flywheel would tend to seemingly hurt your boost response if anything. My thinking is that your acceleration, if anything, would be slightly better, giving the turbo less time in any given gear to hit full boost.

I really dont know, but my logic is pointing me in that direction.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
Ckanderson;1078651 said:

Brent knows what he's talking about.

launches easier, car is much smoother in on throttle off throttle transitions, and it's free.

but if anyone is lookin for a light F/W you'll be happy to sell them one LOL

Ckanderson

Supramania Contributor
Apr 1, 1983
The beach
gaboonviper85;1078656 said:
but if anyone is lookin for a light F/W you'll be happy to sell them one LOL

:rofl:

true, i'm just saying you money could be better spent elsewhere :icon_bigg

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
Dude, the only flywheel I'd buy if I had to would be one of two, the JUN and theres one other company from JP. Even then as CK and Brent said its best to stay stock and spend your money on other things.. I've had countless friends fry the fidanzas and some of the others, they're all stock now.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
The problem is not the flywheel though.

The problem is that the lightweight flywheel (just like coil overs) are a freaking race part!

What that means is that they need to be INSPECTED FREQUENTLY!

Yet here we are with people burning the living shit out of the racepart thinking it is a street part. All race parts are a double edge sword which no one ever accounts for. You get lighter part but in reality, requires a HECK of alot more attention than the install and forget stock part!