Light Weight Vs. Stock flywheels

charddy

May 9, 2008
Roseau, Dominica
Is light weight flywheels really better than the heavier stock flywheels?

While it would be great for the take of, what about higher speeds. Wouldn't the heavier flywheels have a greater rotational mass, hence improve top speeds?

Doesn't the heavier flywheels balance of the crank shaft?

Or are there solely benefits to having a light weight flywheel? (Aluminum 11.5 lbs ish)

Looking for a very interesting debate :naughty:

Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE

SF what a waste of supras
Jun 22, 2006
SoCal
www.myspace.com
Heavier flywheels are only better for rock crawlers for inerita change resistance harder to stall and obsticals dont affect engine RPMS.

Getting to light or weak of a flywheel may explode.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
if the rotating assembly is too light, it's a lot easier to stall. It's called a flywheel for a reason, look it up...

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
OK, something to think about..

The stock crank is not light.
The stock harmonic balancer is not light.
The stock flywheel is not light.

Sure it makes it harder to "Stall" but then again, the lighter flywheel allows the engine to acclerate faster.

The best option for a "road course" engine would be lighter parts for all three. :) (As long as the harmonic part is not lost.)

I have a Fidanza flywheel, no complaints.. And it does not stall any more than before... But you can feel the difference in how responsive the engine is to rev. (As well as slow down..)

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
Depends on how well you drive. I have a Fidanza on my DD Miata as well, and I think its the best mod I've ever done. I've driven with it daily for just over a year now. It only weighs 8.3 lbs, 10 lbs lighter than stock; that is a very drastic change that is meant for road racing, not street really; which is why I went with the 8 lb one over the 6 lb.

It takes a bit more slipping of the clutch to get it going and drops revs as fast as it revs up, which means you have to get used to rev-matching at a different speed.

Car accelerates plenty better now in the entire range, and another benefit thats just as good is that it engine brakes much more efficiently, which I do everywhere.

If I needed a clutch on the Supra, theres no doubt I'd get a Fidanza for it as well because I love it, but alas, lack of need and of fundage prevents this.

gofastgeorge

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
Texas
Adjuster;1076515 said:

I have a Fidanza flywheel, no complaints.. And it does not stall any more than before... But you can feel the difference in how responsive the engine is to rev. (As well as slow down..)

Only people who don't know how to drive
a High Performance machine stall them..........

You evidentally know how to drive !

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
gofastgeorge;1076625 said:
Only people who don't know how to drive
a High Performance machine stall them..........

You evidentally know how to drive !

After my slave cylinder went out on my DD, I drove a month without using the clutch :sarcasm:

I've impressed quite a few people by telling them that. "How the hell did you get around?!" When I came to a complete stop, I'd shut the engine off. When I switched gears, I rev-matched and let the syncros do their job.

bountykilla0118

In Pursuit of 500rwhp
Jul 16, 2005
Atlanta GA
Lol i remember when my slave cylinder died it only sucked when I came to stop .... You should have seen the faces on people when I turned the car off and put it in 1st and start it :) I m sure there thinking this idiot needs to learn to drive a stick but ohh well I made it home.

selfinfliction

Dec 11, 2007
ky
MK3Brent;1076472 said:
Once you've welded one, you'll know why. :)

do you think getting it cryo'd would help? i don't know if it would actually make a difference on a situation of that heat level

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
bountykilla0118;1076641 said:
Lol i remember when my slave cylinder died it only sucked when I came to stop .... You should have seen the faces on people when I turned the car off and put it in 1st and start it :) I m sure there thinking this idiot needs to learn to drive a stick but ohh well I made it home.

How did that work out exactly? Just start it with the gas already down so it doesn't die? I used to drive the Celica all the time without touching the clutch but I never tried to take off without it.

bountykilla0118

In Pursuit of 500rwhp
Jul 16, 2005
Atlanta GA
Pretty much .... u stop, turn it off, put it in 1st, when the light turn green let the cars in front go ahead just little, start to crank her over, the car shakes a little and then give it some gas.

Once the car starts and rolls just rev match to up shift and down shift. Rev matching for me was pretty easy when shift either up or down just put her in neutral, give it gas, begin to put it in gear and as the RPM's fall it will slip in gear.