lets talk about air filters

lifted

Jun 13, 2006
memphis
my opinon has always been that air filters are pretty genaric. of course this is a somewhat uneducated opinon. i know there is a big differance between the media e.g. paper, oiled cotton, and sponge. but is there any difference between a hks filter and a knock from ebay? if so why?

supraman7mgte

Shut up,bitch!!
Apr 1, 2005
Sunny California
im not sure on that point,but a K&N is a bad choice because the oil you put on the filter will find its way onto the afm mirror/led giving the computer bad readings/bad gas mileage.

MA70Supra88

Boostless
Mar 31, 2005
Boerne, TX
I have a K&N drop-in and haven't experienced any issues. It was on the car when I bought it in 2001 and I've re-oiled it several times since then. You need to make sure you put the correct amount of oil on it and you let it dry completely before running the car.

I've also heard stories of it being less of a danger on N/A cars opposed to turbo cars

GotToyota?

Dedicated Member
Apr 6, 2005
Texas Motor Speedway
MA70Supra88 said:
I have a K&N drop-in and haven't experienced any issues. It was on the car when I bought it in 2001 and I've re-oiled it several times since then. You need to make sure you put the correct amount of oil on it and you let it dry completely before running the car.

I've also heard stories of it being less of a danger on N/A cars opposed to turbo cars
Same here, I've had the K&N drop in filter for a few months now, and I've had no problems. How often does it need to be re-oiled? I bought mine almost new and it was re-oiled right before the previous owner sent it to me.

-Matt

MA70Supra88

Boostless
Mar 31, 2005
Boerne, TX
GotToyota? said:
Same here, I've had the K&N drop in filter for a few months now, and I've had no problems. How often does it need to be re-oiled? I bought mine almost new and it was re-oiled right before the previous owner sent it to me.

-Matt
From K&N's website:
The general rule of thumb is that the filter needs to be cleaned when the dirt build up gets as thick as the wire mesh. The usual interval is 30,000 - 50,000 miles depending on driving conditions. We recommend that you check your filter about once a year in normal usage.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Cliffs: K&N filters flow nice, but they basically don't provide any protection from dust, and they clog up fast. Not to worry, they don't stop allowing air in when they are clogged, they just stop filtering.

s383mmber1

Oct 31, 2005
Somers New York
GrimJack said:
Cliffs: K&N filters flow nice, but they basically don't provide any protection from dust, and they clog up fast. Not to worry, they don't stop allowing air in when they are clogged, they just stop filtering.

Yup, i have one on my NA, and never had ANY problems with it whatsoever.

If i did it again, id go with Apexi though!

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
The problems with K&N filters aren't something you would notice... they let in too much grime with the air, and that will seriously decrease the life of your engine.

Even so, we're not talking about anything that will kill your engine in a year, or two - or likely even 5.

robeats91t

237lbs. of Ballast
Jun 4, 2005
Tampa, FL
I'm sure it's better than the HKS SMF. I ran the SMF for a few years, replacing the filter every 10k miles, and when I removed it to replace it with an AEM DryFlow there were sand particles on the inside of the AFM!

The SMF was undoubtedly designed to offer high performance at all costs...I noticed a difference between the old SMF and the DryFlow throughout the powerband.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
i have an SMF on my Supe', provides pretty good power.

i'd like to move up to an Apex-i unit, but real ones are super pricey, and i think they require a new adapter....

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
RazoE said:
i have an SMF on my Supe', provides pretty good power.

i'd like to move up to an Apex-i unit, but real ones are super pricey, and i think they require a new adapter....

The Apex'i units come with an adapter specific to the car.... I need to replace mine soon though, I'm going to need a 70mm round adapter in place of the rectangular version that fits our AFM.

TakeakiTheDeity

The Deity
Oct 28, 2006
San Jose
www.myspace.com
let me ask... does it mess up your car "motorwise" if you put in a cheap aftermarket air filter without the aluminum tubing? so basically a cheap air filter thats replaces the stock air filter box.. and still using the same rubber air tubing...?