Large Garret Turbos?

AaronsSupraMKIII

Supramania Contributor
Jul 27, 2007
Athens, AL
thats the range I am shooting for. What exhaust housing will fit? Have to be garrett I guess?

Anyone know why that double turbo set up is like it is? I still don't understand that setup. Thanks for all the input...

supra_ed

May 30, 2006
ohio
AaronsSupraMKIII said:
thats the range I am shooting for. What exhaust housing will fit? Have to be garrett I guess?

Anyone know why that double turbo set up is like it is? I still don't understand that setup. Thanks for all the input...
wat u mean? how is it set up?
i would shoot for around .69- .78 a/r range- much quicker spool. and u should take the turbo to a turbo/ diesel shop. they will be able to tell u exactly wat u have and wat housing can be put on it. once u know exactly wat u have (gt32/gt35 my guess, or watever) u will know exaclty wat it is capable of. so basically u should double check wat i or anybody else is sayin- just to make sure:icon_bigg

AaronsSupraMKIII

Supramania Contributor
Jul 27, 2007
Athens, AL
supra_ed said:
wat u mean? how is it set up?
i would shoot for around .69- .78 a/r range- much quicker spool. and u should take the turbo to a turbo/ diesel shop. they will be able to tell u exactly wat u have and wat housing can be put on it. once u know exactly wat u have (gt32/gt35 my guess, or watever) u will know exaclty wat it is capable of. so basically u should double check wat i or anybody else is sayin- just to make sure:icon_bigg

I was wondering if you or anyone knew why the twin turbo set ups were like they are. Here is an example.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-...ryZ33742QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

supra_ed

May 30, 2006
ohio
thats common diesel- a smaller turbo feeds into a larger turbo. reduces lag, its more efficient. ive also seen a diesel with a supercharger feeding air into a large turbo. it was a pretty badass setup

AaronsSupraMKIII

Supramania Contributor
Jul 27, 2007
Athens, AL
supra_ed said:
thats common diesel- a smaller turbo feeds into a larger turbo. reduces lag, its more efficient. ive also seen a diesel with a supercharger feeding air into a large turbo. it was a pretty badass setup

Could that work on a car? Looks cool as crap..lol

supra_ed

May 30, 2006
ohio
my dad, the diesel mechanic, tried talkin me into it. spoolin my holset hx50 (76mm) with my turbonetics 60-1. turbonetics would sit on manifold but theres no room to mount another turbo to feed it into. in theory it would work but its not very practical when u could just go straight twin. but i have seen a roots blower feedind a t-70 series turbo on a small block chevy at a car show. impressive

AaronsSupraMKIII

Supramania Contributor
Jul 27, 2007
Athens, AL
supra_ed said:
my dad, the diesel mechanic, tried talkin me into it. spoolin my holset hx50 (76mm) with my turbonetics 60-1. turbonetics would sit on manifold but theres no room to mount another turbo to feed it into. in theory it would work but its not very practical when u could just go straight twin. but i have seen a roots blower feedind a t-70 series turbo on a small block chevy at a car show. impressive

Hmmm could my CT26 feed the garrett? Hmmmmm...... LOL

supra_ed

May 30, 2006
ohio
well....if u only get one pass down the quarter- make sure its the most intense pass of ur life. so wat if u have 6 rods stickin out the block...it will be soooo worth it. thats my philosophy...

AaronsSupraMKIII

Supramania Contributor
Jul 27, 2007
Athens, AL
supra_ed said:
well....if u only get one pass down the quarter- make sure its the most intense pass of ur life. so wat if u have 6 rods stickin out the block...it will be soooo worth it. thats my philosophy...

It would be sooo not worth it after one day of walking to work...lol
I will get it to the dragstrip later after I get my NA drivable to take to work.

89turbosupra

Jun 10, 2006
oxnard
That twin setup looks like its off of a 4.5 powerstroke. Also, it will take some work to get that turbo to work with the variable vein. the vgt sensor gets a signal from the ecm depending on load and throttle position. Its a voltage signal but I didn't find out if its 0- batt. voltage or battery voltage to zero. I thought about using a tps sensor with a 12v input instead of a 5v. Or if tis the opposite way you can find a tps that you can mount backwards so it has full voltage at idle and sweeps it down to 0.

supra_ed

May 30, 2006
ohio
89turbosupra said:
That twin setup looks like its off of a 4.5 powerstroke. Also, it will take some work to get that turbo to work with the variable vein. the vgt sensor gets a signal from the ecm depending on load and throttle position. Its a voltage signal but I didn't find out if its 0- batt. voltage or battery voltage to zero. I thought about using a tps sensor with a 12v input instead of a 5v. Or if tis the opposite way you can find a tps that you can mount backwards so it has full voltage at idle and sweeps it down to 0.
if he switches to a different turbine housing, wont it fix that??

89turbosupra

Jun 10, 2006
oxnard
supra_ed said:
if he switches to a different turbine housing, wont it fix that??
Im afraid not. The vgt sensor is in the center section not the exhaust housing. I think it would be great if he got it to work. He would have zero lag and no top end restriction.

AaronsSupraMKIII

Supramania Contributor
Jul 27, 2007
Athens, AL
Yeah I noticed that it had an electronic solenoid where the wastegate should hook up. I had wondered about that also. Will be intresting to figure out. I have plenty of time to ponder on it though. If anyone has any idea's, chime in. The TPS sounds like it is possible though.

AaronsSupraMKIII

Supramania Contributor
Jul 27, 2007
Athens, AL
89turbosupra said:
Im afraid not. The vgt sensor is in the center section not the exhaust housing. I think it would be great if he got it to work. He would have zero lag and no top end restriction.

I did alittle reading on these turbo's. They are supposed to have no lag, and great boost at all RPM's. Also they use no wastegate. Would be nice to get it working. There has to be someone that has done this conversion. These things have been around awhile.

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
*PUTS ON THE BRAKES TO A SNOW BALL THREAD*

In general, a turbo is a turbo is a turbo. There aren't only two major differences between why a diesel turbo can't be used on a gas setup.

Carbon seal VS dynamic seal.

All of the large garrett, holset, kkk, borg warner etc use diesel technology.

The GT42, GT45, GT40 turbos? Started out life as a diesel application.

57 trim Garrett wheel? You guessed it. Diesel application.

A carbon seal turbo has to be used on a blow through or draw (suck) through gas application.

A dynamic seal turbo can be used on any thing fuel injected.

Most turbos on the road today, performance or OEM are dynamic seal turbos.

Now that we have that out of the way -

-The power stroke turbos are a no no. They either have the wrong (backwards) housings on them or have too large of exhaust housings. The new ones are also variable vein. These are also a no no.

-Duramax turbos. Again, a no no due to variable vein.

-Isuzu NPR, or NP series turbos are hit & miss. Some of them are small, some are large. Most are non ball bearing GT series

-Volvo. Again, hit or miss. Some are holset, some are GT35's.

-Diesel turbos in general are hit and miss. Most have GIANT rear housings on them. If you can find the old TA45/51, GT40 series, or the TV81 series and have a custom rear housing installed on the exhaust side, you're golden.

-The IHI Gm8 turbos are a decent upgrade for our stock 7m's. The problem lies in the fact that cost of fabricating one to a manifold VS 57 trim upgrade or bolt on is about the same

-The Holset hx35, hx40 and hy35 are awesome turbos for our cars when used with the 9cm or 12cm rear housings. The problem with these turbos is wastegate controll. The internal gates are WAY WAY too small for how fast these turbos spool and react. The only way to go is to port the wastegate hole out or run external. The little hy35 is good to 450/475 hp. They can be found on alot of the dodge ram pickup trucks.

Any more questions, you can direct them my way.

EvoLuTioN

no-JZ Your Mom!
Mar 10, 2006
Bed
LOL I love how all the older members just gave up on this argument and let these kids do as they wish ;)

AaronsSupraMKIII

Supramania Contributor
Jul 27, 2007
Athens, AL
EvoLuTioN said:
LOL I love how all the older members just gave up on this argument and let these kids do as they wish ;)

Kids? I'm probubly older than you. Even the old guys had to learn at some point, and so did YOU. I have made no secret to the fact that this is my first turbo car, and the fact that I am pretty well clueless to them. I came to this forum to learn, and get advise. What the fuck is wrong with trying to figure out if a turbo I already own is usable on the car I have? :nono: