Large Garret Turbos?

AaronsSupraMKIII

Supramania Contributor
Jul 27, 2007
Athens, AL
Can large Turbo's from diesel engines be used on a upgraded supra? I dont know what the difference is on the Turbo's. Like say off a Powerstroke Engine from a Ford Truck for instance. Could that be retrofitted to work on a car application? I will get some numbers off of them and post them tomorrow. Maybe there is a Garrett expert on here.

AaronsSupraMKIII

Supramania Contributor
Jul 27, 2007
Athens, AL
Nick M said:
Why? There are not enough turbos made specifically to fit with our CID and RPM range?

No because i happen to own two large garret turbos, and hoped I might could use one later on when I upgrade and save about a grand. :naughty:

I'm new to turbo's and just wanted to know if they were the same or not.

supra_ed

May 30, 2006
ohio
a turbo is a turbo. talk to mdc, he has put holsets on supras before with very good results. im trying to get a smaller turbine housing for my holset hx50 so i can put it on my 7m. good luck and dont let people talk u out of it. keep me posted

s383mmber1

Oct 31, 2005
Somers New York
Its not that Nick is trying to "talk him out of it". Nick is telling you a very good point.

Turbo's for our cars can be find without much expsence, check out SP's turbos, and there bolt on.

supra_ed

May 30, 2006
ohio
you can get a good holset on ebay for nothin. diesel turbos are very durable, big shafts. they are desined to spool 30+psi all day long. very cheap to rebuild. best bang for the buck- especially if the dude already has one lyin around. i wasn't disregarding wat "nick" was sayin, just disagreeing

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
Nick M is right

there is a diff between diesel app and gas app.

Basically the very thing that kills turbos.
HEAT
gasoline engines run a hell of alot hotter than diesel engine will. This makes the EGT go up and the resulting temps make the turbo not live as long. Yes including diesel turbos on a gasoline/petrol application.

AaronsSupraMKIII

Supramania Contributor
Jul 27, 2007
Athens, AL
Nick M said:
The talk to MDC part is right. But your first part is wrong. Not only that, it isn't even close. Did you read that on SF or something?

K will talk to him, I just wanted to know if these can be used later on. They are to big for my car at the moment. Maybe I can trade one for a smaller turbo that would be an upgrade to mine. I figure they were pretty expensive if you just bought turbo's this size and brand. They say .58 is that the trim?
Thanks for all the input. I know new guys like me are a pain. LOL You guys are very patient, and I really appreciate it.

AaronsSupraMKIII

Supramania Contributor
Jul 27, 2007
Athens, AL
figgie said:
Nick M is right

HEAT
gasoline engines run a hell of alot hotter than diesel engine will. This makes the EGT go up and the resulting temps make the turbo not live as long. Yes including diesel turbos on a gasoline/petrol application.

Oh so they are actually made different. Hmm that sucks... Thanks for the info.

supra_ed

May 30, 2006
ohio
im just sayin there are plenty of people runnin diesel turbos on cars very successfully. hell theres a guy who took a garrett off a john deere tractor and put it on his daily driven 4.6l mustang. over 600hp to the wheels- no issues.

89turbosupra

Jun 10, 2006
oxnard
The egt thing shouldn't hold you back but did the turbo come off of a 6.0 or a 7.3 powerstroke. I work at a ford dealer and drive diesels all the time. Most of them have agt gauges and a lot of banks parts on them and a couple have pegged out a 1600* egt gauge. I havnt seen a cracked exhaust housing yet or had to replace a turbo on a 7.3. The 6.0 on the other hand is a variable vein turbo and the soot form the exhaust makes the veins stick a lot.

Kylar27

Supra Lover
Oct 2, 2005
Connecticut
figgie said:
Nick M is right

HEAT

Not trying to start an argument but do you have anything to back this up. Doesnt sound right to me. I am sure the exhaust gets pretty close to the same temp.

SevenMKIII

No more Supra no more fun
Jan 13, 2007
Central IL
IIRC, most Ford Powerstroke turbos have a 1.00-1.15 a/r which is way too big to run *efficiently* on even the most well put together 7MGTE motors.

Just my $.02

AaronsSupraMKIII

Supramania Contributor
Jul 27, 2007
Athens, AL
SevenMKIII said:
IIRC, most Ford Powerstroke turbos have a 1.00-1.15 a/r which is way too big to run *efficiently* on even the most well put together 7MGTE motors.

Just my $.02

It came off the bigger powerstroke I think. We build them were I work, but also build larger diesel engines. Some of them have a smaller twin turbo set up, and some have the larger single turbo. I dont understand the two turbo set up because they have two different size turbos that pipe into each other. It is very strange. I will get some pics in a few days on the ones at work. Maybe you guys can make sense of it. Maybe these turbos would be better for a muscle car application then. They are alot bigger than my ct26.

The smaller turbo's are borg and warner. I will try to get numbers on them all. Thanks.

AaronsSupraMKIII

Supramania Contributor
Jul 27, 2007
Athens, AL
OK the big garrett turbo came off a 2006 F-series 6.0 diesel engine. The exhaust side of the turbo says A/R .9 M3 The intake side says A/R .58 Is that the trim?
these I think are the same kind.http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/dura...010QQitemZ200138687619QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Garr...009QQitemZ190138757594QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

The smaller Twin turbo set ups are borg and warner. The turbo's are different sizes. one says APM1 176538A, and the other says APM1 176316A and they both have a R2S insignia on them. The compressed intake side of one turbo goes into the large opening of the intake side of the other turbo. The exhaust sides share a large wastegate. I dont have these, just curious how they work. Hmm here is one like it I found on E-bay. This guy has both types, and he is from Huntsville. Wonder if he stole them from the plant, cause they are NEW.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-...ryZ33742QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Anyone ever seen a setup like this before? ^ As for EGT (exhaust gas temp?) I dont have a clue.

Last edited:

supra_ed

May 30, 2006
ohio
a/r .9 is a bit on big side, but is worth it if the compressor side is big (wheel mm) if turbo can support big hp than cool or u could always put a tighter exhaust housing on it

AaronsSupraMKIII

Supramania Contributor
Jul 27, 2007
Athens, AL
supra_ed said:
a/r .9 is a bit on big side, but is worth it if the compressor side is big (wheel mm) if turbo can support big hp than cool or u could always put a tighter exhaust housing on it

the compressor wheel is 1 7/8 in. Thats roughly 48 to 50mm.

ATL88Supra

The Asshole
Jun 22, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
ah the dreaded diesel turbo argument

who cares.. turbos are turbos, and who the hell came up with that diesel turbos cant handle the same heat.... i have seen powerstrokes turbos turn red even yellow, and that was 2 years ago and his turbo is still fine

frankly diesel turbos are very effective just got to make sure your shit is tuned

supra_ed

May 30, 2006
ohio
ATL88Supra said:
ah the dreaded diesel turbo argument

who cares.. turbos are turbos, and who the hell came up with that diesel turbos cant handle the same heat.... i have seen powerstrokes turbos turn red even yellow, and that was 2 years ago and his turbo is still fine

frankly diesel turbos are very effective just got to make sure your shit is tuned
yes sirrrr, thank you.
48mm-50mm inducer is usually good for 400-500hp range. think garrett gt32/35 series. i would def. put a tighter exhaust housing on it. u dont need a housing that big on a turbo that size (for a car anyway)