Just bought a 1990 Supra turbo targa, auto

Status
Not open for further replies.

SupraDread

Aug 21, 2006
New York
I just bought a 90 turbotarga in May of this year. Just like you was looking 4 reliability not 500 horse. U know a little summer project. Repairs so far new tires (3), new rad cap (rad=radiator) new thermostat, new rad, new water pump, new plugs and wires, new rear rotor. new rear brake pads, new battery, new wipers f/r, new head gasket, new gaskets, new oil filter, new coolant, droping sub frame next week installing new crankshaft bearings and that should do it for this summer.......yeaaah. Have fun and remember it is a 16 year old sports car I hope u don't have a BHG and u get to enjoy the MKIII experience to the utmost.

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
BTW, welcome to SupraMania, and may you find all of the information you will ever need on here, and congrats on the supra.

jimwww

Life's fast, pick a lane
Jan 28, 2006
Vancouver, BC
www.jimwww.com
I really appreciate everyone's insight - I am making a list right now for the mechanic on thursday.. keep in mind the bird cage only came on for 3-4 seconds and has not been seen since.

I am hoping that it is not a head gasket as their is a clean oil filler cap, clean as can be oil and no weird exhaust and lot's of power - but I think I will find out soon. Rudy has rebuilt and built a powerful engine for these cars and I have known him since 96 so he should be fair with me.. When I drive it - I cannot get over the power.. wow. (only drove it 250km and parked it)

One thing at a time..

I did add Satellite Sirius radio (Pioneer cd deck - direct plug in) and it is excellent.. (need newer speakers)

To be fixed - looked at:

1. Air in cooling system. - Check all hoses top one is new (last week)
2. Head Gasket Check.
3. Noise near engine - knocking passenger side rear lower. (exhaust?)
4. Door handle loose interior (top)- drivers side
5. Red door ajar light on - flickers even though doors are all shut - disconnect
6. Key ring glow light - green - comes on and off all the time at night when car lights are on - disconnect. :aigo:
7. Engine check light is on - diagnose
8. Change thermostat 180 degree preferred.
9. Hood struts - install new ones - Lordco will have them.
10. Check valve covers - spark plugs (look for oil)
11. Change rear diff oil
12. Change tranny oil
13. Change engine oil
14. Passenger door will not open with key
15. Passenger window button will put window down - not up (drivers side will do both up/dwn on both sides.
16. Interior lights - switch where the lights for the interior are if switched to the left the two lights will come on at anytime while driving - when you are parked and the door opens - if door left to the right - interior lights stay off all the time - wierd but not that important.
17. Targa is sealed completely with silicon - has to be taken off and new seals installed. (all) (need to know what the key looks like to unscrew - take off - not sure if it is in the car.)
18. Brakes checked.
19. Reclining seat on drivers side fixed.

Last edited:

IIIfortheHills

Mar 30, 2006
Colorado foothills
Don't assume a blown head gasket, but do test for it. You want to do a test for exhaust gases in the coolant. Should be info in the tech-tip section on testing for a BHG. First watch your coolant carefully, check for any leaks, and try to burp the air out of the system. If you can't keep the air out - something's wrong. Again a look in the tech-tip section can give you ideas on where to look for cooling system problems. My car didn't have water in the oil, or oil in the coolant, it occasionally over-heated when under boost and I couldn't keep the air purged out of the coolant. I finally figured out it did have a slightly blown head gasket. If you do have a BHG look for a post (I think by MDC) on what to change when doing a BHG repair...in the tech section. The rubber hoses in particular tend to get hard and brittle.
#3 Your knock could be a number of things. On that side of the engine there are a couple of braces that could be loose, exhaust manifold bolts could be loose or stripped. Your description makes it sound like it might be something loose on the outside of the engine.
#4 Might be a bad door/dome light switch. Rubber covered button thing in the door frame. But other interior lights would flicker at the same time I think.

Like others said, check your codes. You don't need to take it anywhere for that.
Good luck, enjoy.

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
Welcome to the boards man,

But,

something you will have to learn is how to fix these problems on your own. You will have to start working on your own car not only to figure out your future plans for the car but to also know when your getting the better deal by taking your car into a mechanic. #1,2,5,6,7,8,9,10,12,13, can all be done in your garage with some very basic tools for absoloutly no $ or for the cost of oil, hell all you need to check your engine codes is a paper clip. Give it a shot instead of paying someone to do them for you. #15 can be fixed with a stroll through your local junkyard.

you are dealing with an old car with lots of hidden gremlins and not to discourage but taking it to the mechanic for each one will kill your motivation and cost you way to much $$.

get as knee deep into this car on your own as you can, if it hadnt been for this car i would still be utterly clueless about cars in general other than their make and model.

Just tryin to save you some $$ and make your MKIII experience a little better. This is the best place to learn.

supraman7mgte

Shut up,bitch!!
Apr 1, 2005
Sunny California
4. check door pin switch,possibly not making good contact.
7. o/d lock out just keeps you from shifting into overdrive,at least that's just what the manual stated.

jimwww

Life's fast, pick a lane
Jan 28, 2006
Vancouver, BC
www.jimwww.com
I could do it if I had a coach.. but I do lack that intuition that I think other guys have.. Some of my friends will not let me near tools - I have problems building things from Ikea boxes - I have had people not beilieve I could not open or use a compact un-foldable screwdriver.. I can't even open my handi tool - welcome to a divorced kids upbringing with no dad - and I was the one who needed one when growing up.. and he was not there.. yet I can photograph amatuer models (prof photographer) and work in animation with the people who create Star Trek Voyager - lived in LA back then (film producer now)- no problem. I can stand in a board room and confront people or inform - no problem.. but if the screw is not visable to the naked eye.. I am screwed. That's why I hire people to do it for me.. I have learned where my limitations are..

Suprafan

Jun 7, 2005
Harrisonville Mo
Good luck on being a newbie we've all been there.I enjoy trying to help if I can.I've had 6 MKIIIs and can tell you they are a joy to drive and a heartbreaker to work on.Keep us informed on how everything turns out.

Shytheed Dumas

For Sale
Mar 6, 2006
Louisville, KY
jimwww said:
I could do it if I had a coach.. but I do lack that intuition that I think other guys have.. Some of my friends will not let me near tools - I have problems building things from Ikea boxes - I have had people not beilieve I could not open or use a compact un-foldable screwdriver.. I can't even open my handi tool - welcome to a divorced kids upbringing with no dad - and I was the one who needed one when growing up.. and he was not there.. yet I can photograph amatuer models (prof photographer) and work in animation with the people who create Star Trek Voyager - lived in LA back then (film producer now)- no problem. I can stand in a board room and confront people or inform - no problem.. but if the screw is not visable to the naked eye.. I am screwed. That's why I hire people to do it for me.. I have learned where my limitations are..

Time to overcome those limitations, m' man - it's just fear of the uknown! The tech section, online TSRM, a Hayne's Manual (just for additional clarification if needed) and instant help you can get with a quick post on SM if you run into trouble makes just about everything doable. A year ago I took my cars in for everything except oil changes and brake pad replacement. Since March of '06 I have:

1. Replaced a BHG, and all belts, seals, etc.
2. Replaced rear struts
3. Pulled my driveshaft and replaced center carrier bearing
4. Replaced brake calipers
5. Pulled the ^%*@ing starter two times
6. Rewired my knock sensors and replaced my O2 sensor, and more...
5. Moved on to other things with my other car - New tie rod ends, for example.

I don't take my cars in for much of anything anymore. I was pretty clueless when I bought my Supra, but a $2000 repair bill for my headgasket turned me wrench, and it has surprised me by becoming my favorite hobby. :love:

If you've got the ability to handle the technical nuances of photography, then doing these projects is little more than dirty hands, a couple of busted knuckles, following a recipe and a ton of satisfaction - enjoy it!

Last edited:

jimwww

Life's fast, pick a lane
Jan 28, 2006
Vancouver, BC
www.jimwww.com
Wow.. I can't imagine.. I wonder how you learnt to do all of that.. I could if I learned with someone who has done it before.. but going into the unknown -on my own - that is a different thing..

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
Downey, California, United States
lol...before I had my Supra, I didn't even know what an oil change was... now I have done...BHG, brakes, water pump, all hoses, gaskets...fan clutch, huge wiring fixes, TONS of little fixes here and there (like the ones you described), and probably somewhere around 100 hours of labor restoring the paint...:aigo:.................lol, and all I had to guide me was Supramania, and a TSRM (Toyota Service Repair Manual).

Shytheed Dumas

For Sale
Mar 6, 2006
Louisville, KY
jimwww said:
Wow.. I can't imagine.. I wonder how you learnt to do all of that.. I could if I learned with someone who has done it before.. but going into the unknown -on my own - that is a different thing..

Jim, I hate to whip out Henry Ford on you, but...

"Whether you believe you can, or you believe you can't, you're right." ;)

Self taught's the best way to do it. I've NEVER touched body work, but I talked to a shop today and the guy told me I would save $1,000 if I did 100% of the prep work myself - sand, pound out a dent, fill in the dings, remove mirrors, wing, molding, sand, sand again, etc. I can get myself a shinyu new base/clear coat for about $1,300 that way. So, unless I stumble into another grand I think I just might be reading everything I can on how to do body work this winter and diving in head first. No fear, and no better incentive than a thousand bucks!

josh930

Jan 14, 2006
NY
About the rod knock.... Dont count on that sound as being that. I put my car up on jack stands and found out that the sound was comming from the clutch/flywheel area. I've acctualy been meaning to find out what the sound is but I thought it was just my car. Anyone have a clue?

I'm not imposing on your thread. It will probably help you out too. It happens to me only at idle and a little past 1800rpm

Suprafan

Jun 7, 2005
Harrisonville Mo
jimwww said:

Hey man thats what we are here for.We try to help when we can GL

jimwww

Life's fast, pick a lane
Jan 28, 2006
Vancouver, BC
www.jimwww.com
Hi guys.. started the car this morning and when it was cold and opened the radiator cap.. wow did that coolant ever go far - must of had a lot of air.. - filled up the overflow tank and drove off. Light on the dash - bird cage was on steady this morning however it went off as soon as I burped the system.

Off to the mechanics this afternoon..

I will share with everyone as soon as I know what the banging/knocking sound is at the side of my engine..

Last edited:

PimpiNJ253

Supraless
Sep 15, 2006
Kent, Washington
www.myspace.com
yea.. my "birdcage" sensor is on too.. ill try that resivoir thing... the thing is tho that when i bought my car like 2 weeks ago i drained the radiator and all it had in it was WATER!!!. after i put coolant in it the light would blink. also when my car is cold inthe morning the engine just sounds... wierd... kinda like a lil knocking? it runs great it just sounds a lil wierd iono. also i see u guys were talking about waterfall or something and i kinda hear that when i rev my engine a lil and listen, it sounds like running water in pipes or something? Oh and one more thing, my e break lite sometimes stays on even tho i have it all the way down? bad sensor? by the way... please dont judge the way i type.. im 16 and i type like this on aim (aol instant messanger)

jimwww

Life's fast, pick a lane
Jan 28, 2006
Vancouver, BC
www.jimwww.com
Ok.. got an update:

BHG for sure, and a broken crankshaft..

New engine is being shipped to my mechanics right now.. and I should be up and running late next week.

I got the new eng for 1000.00 cdn so I ain't complaining.. esp since I got the car for 3300.00 cdn

ViR2

Supraniac
May 20, 2006
Lithuania
www.hpaddict.eu
foreverpsycotic said:
i have the waterfall behind the dash, but it sounds more like its coming from the heatercore, i think i have some air trapped in there.

same thing here, and it seams to be no way to make him come out of there compleatly... So at winter you'l always have this waterfall sound when u turn up the heating, or just rev engine a bit (its because of the water pump)

SupraDread

Aug 21, 2006
New York
Good luck Jimwww. and welcome to the wonderful world of MKIII. Johnathan1 and Americanjebus r dead on. The best way to build your confidence is to do little things first like oil changes, fixing flats and changing sparkplugs. A car is a material object that cannot out smart u. Do what u can and let the tech do the rest and you will save yourself money and teach yourself at the same time. The only limitations are the one u set 4 yourself. We live in the info age continue to take advantage of it, God knows how helpful this site continues to be to all involved. BTW u might want to get the HG replaced on the new motor while it is out of the car and install new bearings while your at it even if they are OK. These things r alot easier to do with the motor out.

jimwww

Life's fast, pick a lane
Jan 28, 2006
Vancouver, BC
www.jimwww.com
I appreciate it guys.. I have done spark plugs, oil changes and flat tires because those things unscrew and I can get the tools to do it. Now.. if it was a mirror that needed replacing.. there is no screw facing me. If there is a speaker that needs replacing.. I cannot do it.. first thing I did with my corrado was destroy the mounting of the speaker when trying to replace it because there was no obvious screw.. now taking apart a valve cover and replacing the seal - we did that on my YJ and now I understand it - that I could do because I have seen it.. but doing more complicated things like changing an alternator or a head gasket - well I cannot imagine me doing it.. however if someone was there with me and showed me - or taught me.. then I would have more confidence. Like taking a door panel off.. I would probably destroy the things that hold it to the door. My reclinening seat in the Supra does not work.. I have no idea why but I am 6"3" and need it to work.. argh.. I don't think I have the knowledge to do it.. however your comments have encouraged me to take a mechanics part time 1st level understanding course at a local college here. Jan 07 I will enrol into one.. :)

Maybe I underestimate what I can do..

I am looking forward to getting my rocketship back this friday... :icon_bigg and really anxious to take apart the targa (with the help of that guys teardown link on here) to replace the seals.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.