installed new clutch, vibration problems

viper92086

Jan 12, 2006
NJ
hey guys i just finished installing my brand new spec clutch and now my car has some serious vibrations that it did not have before. i made sure that everything was tightened and i wasn't missing any bolts. the vibration happens at idle as well as dirving so i am thinking something wasn't balanced. i did a quick search online and i found out spec clutches seem to have this problem due to poor balancing from factory..... do u guy's think it is safe to drive for now while i complain to spec?

viper92086

Jan 12, 2006
NJ
btw clutch is a spec stage 2+, and i just checked to see if it was the throwoutbearing, but its not, i get vibrations no matter if the clutch is engaged or disengaged

gofastgeorge

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
Texas
An out of balance flywheel/clutch combo can and will:
Shake the flywheel loose. and
hammer out the rear main bearing.

p5150

ASE and FAA A&P Certified
Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
It sucks but you need to pull it off and have the flywheel balanced as well. You can get them balanced separately and as a unit

viper92086

Jan 12, 2006
NJ
u have to get them balanced? should i just throw back on my stock flywheel then? i noticed that its in very good condition with only 60k on it.. on the other forum, a member suggested i didn't line up the pressure plate with the flywheel? how do i know?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
viper92086;975167 said:
on the other forum, a member suggested i didn't line up the pressure plate with the flywheel? how do i know?

This may be so on a motor that's not 0 balanced ie:454 chev but ours are so he's feeding you incorrect information.

If the Flywheel and Pressure plate have been balanced as an assembly soon as you change either part it needs to be done again.

viper92086

Jan 12, 2006
NJ
where the hell do u get it balanced? lol i musta called almost all the shops local and everyone is like what balancing... dammit..

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
take it to a engine machine shop. they should know. wouldnt think it would have to be a "race" shop, normally just means more $$$$ because they build "race" engines...

83restomod

Bryan
Feb 11, 2008
clinton NJ
south side speed shop in manville NJ. its on south side ave 2 doors down from the stip club. they can do it for ya. really good prices there. they did my motor for me. came out great. cool guys too.

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
gaboonviper85;975413 said:
yeah some sub the work out... My napa has a machine shop in house for brakes and flywheels.. But yeah majority of napa sends the parts out.

balancing and machining are WAYYYY different...
to just level/flaten/cut your rotors and flywheels is pretty easy... balancing isnt so much.