installed new clutch, vibration problems

viper92086

Jan 12, 2006
NJ
ok lemme ask this then, the flywheel that i had resurfaced was out of my friend's 89, i have a 88. my orig flywheel is fine, it looks perfect, should i try to throw my original back in and run it with the pressure plate? is it a possibility that they messed up on the resurface? because if they messed up on the resurface wouldn't i feel it when the clutch engages? everything feels the same right now no matter what i do, and i wanted to see what i can try before sending it out since i'm tight on time with school. i was hoping to get this to the meet this weekend which leaves me only tomorrow to work on it. there are no race machine shops in my area, i've asked around already. could it be something with me installing it? pilot bearing? (its new)

viper92086

Jan 12, 2006
NJ
my other question is, can i start the car without the tranmission? i want to try different things then test, but i don't remember if i can mount up the starter or not.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
he trans helps stop the motor from rocking but if you support it some how and don't rev the shit out of it it maybe fine... Should never rev a motor without resistance in the crank...

I personally wouldn't do it.

viper92086

Jan 12, 2006
NJ
i was just gonna start it and idle, no revs.... but i'm not sure if i can even mount the starter there... i can't remember

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
If the flywheel has been resurfaced before then it may be scrap now.. You there is only so much material you can take off and so if its been done once before then you may need another one.... You can only regrind it so much... Your best bet is to find the toyota specs on resurfaceing and have the flywheel remeasured to see if more material can still come off...

Generally when you regrind youshould also have it balenced cause heat from the clutch will warp the metal... Not much but it will warp...and sense its warped more metal comes off the high spots causeing it to loose its trueness.

viper92086

Jan 12, 2006
NJ
hmmm it was redone twice the one i had resurfaced.. maybe more than that.. so i guess i will try out my orig

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
My advice to you is take the flywheel and pressure plate and have it surfaced (if possible) and balanced and then put it in and forget about it...I have had 4 flywheels done by NAPA and never ever had an issue...I've also machines my own flywheel but I don't recomend that! Most auto machine shops do that stuff but I myself go to napa cause its always convient for me..if you can find another place more power to ya!

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
good deal but is your flywheel's surface nice and clean, no burn marks, high spots, tinny cracks.... Cause those will eat a clutch and spit it out! Should have it resurfaced if it has imperfections like that.... I'd atleast run a honeing stone over it by hand.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
if you get a flywheel turned on a lathe vs the correct way of having it machined, it's a lot easier for the runout to be wrong...