I'm the dumbest supra owner ever

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
It does. I've never actually tested the CRC stuff but I know someone who had trouble with it. If hasn't crazed the optics your AFM may actually fix itself it you let it air out for a few days or bake it at 125 - 150 F for 45 minutes. Wouldn't be the first time I've seen it happen. Worth a try. You have nothing to lose.

Frank Rizzo

Banned
Jul 25, 2007
Fixing your girl's car
LOL I actually had a thought of microwaving it for a split second, but I'd never do that.

I left it inside an air conditioned house all day to let it dry out, I slapped it back in and its still gone. I used like half the can lol.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Microwaving is not a good idea ;). If you used a lot of solvent that's all the more reason to stick it in the oven for an hour. Make sure the pressure sensing hole at the top of the Karman Pillar is clear.

Slim chance but there might not even be anything wrong with it. Could be a connection problem. The only way to know for sure is to test it. I don't mean resistance checks either. I mean measure it on the car.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
jetjock said:
It does. I've never actually tested the CRC stuff but I know someone who had trouble with it. If hasn't crazed the optics your AFM may actually fix itself it you let it air out for a few days or bake it at 125 - 150 F for 45 minutes. Wouldn't be the first time I've seen it happen. Worth a try. You have nothing to lose.
swedish_chef.gif

robbo185

Apr 6, 2005
Chicago
yyea do NOT buy a new one from toyota. For that price you can run maft pro in speed density and not have to get 550cc injectors. However, when you do decide to upgrade you wont have to buy and fuel tuning devices because you already have the maft pro. Id look into that

Frank Rizzo

Banned
Jul 25, 2007
Fixing your girl's car
I really don't have time to take my downpipe off and install a wide band. I need this car on the road tomarrow! I don't even have a walbro fuel pump or any fuel mods so I don't think I need a maft pro speed density.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
As I said, slim chance. You did have to mess with the connector to clean it. It's possible you broke a wire or something. I just don't believe in throwing parts at things is all. A monkey can do that. You're not a monkey are you? ;)

That said in this case it sounds like you're right. Anyway, since you're pressed for time I'm just telling you what might work because I haven't tested the CRC stuff and don't know what's in it and again, it wouldn't be the first time I've seen an AFM brought back to life that way.

Edit: Damn, I missed that part about everything measuring infinity. Not good. I don't see how a particular solvent could cause that though. It's not the typical way cleaning kills them. Very odd.

Ian: lamo.....

buldozr

Jan 9, 2007
North Texas
Frank Rizzo said:
OK that was way over my head.

I like that pic, is that a boost gauge out of a WW2 airplane?

note to self: 3000gt/dodge stealth and supra guys are arch enemies.... not many supra owners know this, but its more of the mkiv guys that they hate, mostly of their ego, and yes, that is a wwII gauge, GOOD CALL! :icon_bigg

Frank Rizzo

Banned
Jul 25, 2007
Fixing your girl's car
jetjock- Thanks for taking the time to respond I really appreciate it. Yeah, thats what I thought about the infinite resistance....

buldozr- Ohhhhh, yeah most mitsu owners don't like my supra, maybe because it can kinda sorta keep up with them. I have alot of wwII stuff, like nazi belt buckles and eating utenzils. I also have an operators manual from a B-52 or something, can't remember have to dig is out of storage. Every page at the top says restricted, so it must be!!

kawkoretsx

flatuator
Jun 26, 2007
hagerstown, MD
I wonder just how many supra owners have walked into the parts store for something, and upon seeing the CRC MAF sensor cleaner, have bought it. Not because there's something wrong with their car, but because that CRC advertises that it is safe for all cars, and can improve gas mileage and horsepower. That's what happened to me. I knew before hand that the MAF sensor on the supra was delicate. At the time I was installing an intake and hardpipe kit. Went to Advance for something else, saw this stuff, and thought, wow they have stuff you can use to clean a MAF sensor, great. Preventative maintenance. Wrong.
So I wrote the company told them what happened, and they sent a check for the price of the cleaner and told me that the sensor was already bad due to the age of my car. I'm just wondering if we get some people together that have used this stuff and fried their MAF sensor if we could get reimbursed. I think I spent like 400 for a new MAF. This stuff should not be advertised as safe for all cars. Sorry for jackin the thread but this is wrong IMO and CRC should pay.

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
The thing is technically I don't think its a Mass Air Flow sensor... so they might have a pretty good head start on you guys.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
It's not a MAF and therein lies one of the problems. People who don't understand how our AFM works equate it with a hotwire, the device this product was designed to be used on and a device far more susceptible to contamination because of how it works. So susceptible that on most cars the ECU is programmed to clean it after every engine shutdown. It's not CRC's fault. In the end these things all boil down to ignorance on the part of the end user. Something that is, unfortunately, common to every endeavor.

I dunno about this cleaner because I've never tested it but the thing is we have people here who claim to have successfully used this stuff. Successfully in the sense it didn't killed the AFM. I doubt cleaning was ever needed. As I said, I think most AFMs die at the owner's hand because they're unable to diagnose the real problem. Muddying the waters even further is Frank's claim of infinity when measuring his. Having been deeply inside several of these gadgets and knowing how the circuitry works I see no way a solvent could cause that.

kawkoretsx

flatuator
Jun 26, 2007
hagerstown, MD
It's my understanding that there is a small mirror that vibrates inside the sensor. There is a vortex generator in front of this sensor that causes the air to swirl and the mirror vibrates at the same frequency. Call it MAF AFM whatever, it is still my opinion that there should be a warning on the can that states it is not safe for all sensors, because it isn't. The average joe that goes into a parts store doesn't know that our cars have a Karmen vortex type "air measuring sensor". From what I understand, and I could very well be wrong Toyota is the only company that used it. Why not put a warning on the can? Like I said there was nothing wrong with my car, ran great, thought cleaning the sensor might help get a more accurate signal, preventative maintenance.

JetJock: Have you ever gotten anything on the back side of a mirror and it takes the shinny stuff off the mirror, maybe some sort of solvent or oil? Wouldn't a situation like that cause the "measuring device" to not work. There are also members of this forum who have put on MHG's with no machine work and they hold, flukes, nothing more. You could go have unprotected sex with Pam Anderson, might not get Hepatitis. You still gonna wear a condom though, right? There should be a warning on the can.

kawkoretsx

flatuator
Jun 26, 2007
hagerstown, MD
Just got off the phone with CRC technical service, and they said "I don't recommend you use this because it can crack and/or tarnish the mirror" verbatim.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
The damage done to it by solvents is usually to the optics, not the circuit. The optics involved the emitter, photo transistor, and mirror. I understand your car may have been working fine but your belief you could make it run better or that the sensor needed maintenance was based on ignorance about how it works. That was your fault, not CRC's. Would you use Windex to clean plastic? If the average Joe (or anyone else) is going to mess with something he should know how it works. If not he should expect problems.

Aside from that fact I wouldn't touch Pam with your dick (let alone mine) if I'm understanding your analogy correctly she should have a warning on her? Or should I be the one smart enough to know better?