I'm the dumbest supra owner ever

Frank Rizzo

Banned
Jul 25, 2007
Fixing your girl's car
Well I just can't leave well enough alone.

I decided to clean my MAF sensor yesterday. Yeah bad idea. I used CRC MAF cleaner.

Needless to say its fucked now, throwing code 31 ever since I started it after the cleaning. I took the sensor completely out of the housing and its sure is clean alright. Engine just dies upon any throttle, smoking heavily at idle and smells so rich I could pass out if I stand at the rear of the car.

I saw the thread here titled CRC MAF cleaner after I did that. I'm such a retard.

Priced a brand new MAF at the dealer- $807. My balls were up in my throat when I heard that. They don't sell the sensor separate, just the entire aluminum housing with the MAF installed already.

I haven't gone to NAPA or any discount auto parts store yet, do they even sell MAFs for turbo supras?

I want to steer clear of used ones.

Nomad707

Im From The Bay
Mar 14, 2007
Santa Rosa, California
oh jesus dude im sorry... that sucks..

Just a few weeks ago i broke my idle control valve (like 400$ new) but opted for a used one on ebay for 20$,

i hope you can get this cleared up without raping your wallet!

Frank Rizzo

Banned
Jul 25, 2007
Fixing your girl's car
Thing is, I already put a deposit on the MAF at the dealer.

And I checked the MAF with an ohmmeter. Every thing had infinite resistance except the temperature sensing part. That ohm'd out perfect to spec within the temp I tested it at. That makes sense because I don't get code 23? (temp sensor code) unless the MAF is unhooked and I check the codes.

suprahooked

Built 7M
Jun 20, 2006
pa
Frank Rizzo said:
Thing is, I already put a deposit on the MAF at the dealer.

And I checked the MAF with an ohmmeter. Every thing had infinite resistance except the temperature sensing part. That ohm'd out perfect to spec within the temp I tested it at. That makes sense because I don't get code 23? (temp sensor code) unless the MAF is unhooked and I check the codes.
Buy a used one and dont clean it.:nono:

SevenMKIII

No more Supra no more fun
Jan 13, 2007
Central IL
You could buy several off of here or ebay before raking up $807. You would have a good chance of finding a working used one if you just look a little before placing an order through Toyota.

If you have the money and don't mind, go for it, but there are much better deals out there.

edit: Read NewWestSupras post and if you wanted to go cheaper (not much) you could upgrade to the Lex AFM and 550cc injectors. Rule of thumb: Ask SM questions before dropping $800+ on a stock part.

Frank Rizzo

Banned
Jul 25, 2007
Fixing your girl's car
I can definately get my money back. I only put a deposit on it so it would ship to my dealer and it would be instock because I kind of need this car running its my daily driver, I'm sure you know how it is.

Frank Rizzo

Banned
Jul 25, 2007
Fixing your girl's car
I have a noob question, can I just slap in a lexus maf without 550's or an AFC? I mean, I could put new injectors in too but then I would have to get new injector insulators and an upper intake manifold gasket from the dealer which takes time. I need to get to work! So can I just buy a lexus maf (new from the dealer, probably cheaper!!) and slap it in and upgrade to 550's later?

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Ian: Much much ;)

Frank: Sure. You may have to tweak the lower chamber volume to get Vf right but it'll work fine. I ran that way for some time. Myself, I'd buy used electronics from someone if I were you. Lots cheaper.

Considering I warned against using that stuff not two days ago I might be inclined to agree with your dumbness but hey, shit happens. That said for a guy who uses the term IGBT I would've thought you'd known better ;)

Frank Rizzo

Banned
Jul 25, 2007
Fixing your girl's car
You know what that means? LOL

So what exactly do I need for the lexus MAF? What year, model, engine?

Hey, I could have not said anything, but I wanted to share my experience so hopefully some dummy like me won't do it.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
I know what it means in the electronic context although that may not be how you're using it.

I forget the year Lexus but someone will chime in. The electronics are the same so you could always just stick them on your stock housing.

For those who insist on cleaning something that never needs cleaning do this: Buy a small piece of acrylic and test whatever you're going to use on it first. Put drop of acetone on it too. That way you can see what happens when you use the wrong solvent on an AFM.

SevenMKIII

No more Supra no more fun
Jan 13, 2007
Central IL