I wanna do a push button start

Supra-D.S.

Jan 23, 2010
Washougal
in my 89 supra but i want to diconnect the ignition starter wirer from my key ignition so the key wont turn it over just the button but i cant figure out which wire it is iv looked for wirong diagrams but i cant find anything anyone got any ideas?

survyor2

Jun 19, 2005
West Palm Beach, Florida, United States
you want to run a new wire from a constant 12v source to a momentary push button to a relay to the starter. disconnecting the original starter wire will disable the key ignition starting system. To start, turn key to ignition, push buttton.

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
Just install one of these
Viper-LED-2-waybg.jpg
. That is what id did.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Makes a lot of sense to me...... <sarc>

reach for the key turn it, stop before you turn it all the way then press a button.... :nono:

Only way I'd consider it is with keyless entry/start like a modern car.

Mr.PFloyd

I am the Super Devil
Jun 22, 2005
Mississauga, Ontario
IJ.;1521642 said:
Makes a lot of sense to me...... <sarc>

reach for the key turn it, stop before you turn it all the way then press a button.... :nono:

Only way I'd consider it is with keyless entry/start like a modern car.

or maybe the mechanism is broke, and they don't wanna spend 200 bucks on a new cylinder from yota?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Mr.PFloyd;1522201 said:
or maybe the mechanism is broke, and they don't wanna spend 200 bucks on a new cylinder from yota?

Buy one from a junkyard if you're too tight to buy new.....

STUPID stupid Mod :nono:

Seriously you already have turned the key to ON what's so hard about turning it 1 more click.....
iwannadie;1522203 said:
Or, just wanna feel like you're in nascar ;) .
Nascar's don't have a key that you have to turn first though ;)

Athena

Rawr
Jun 22, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I've thrown around the idea a couple of times, but haven't come up with anything I liked, especially for the price I would pay.
If I did do something, There wouldn't be anything involving turning of a key. that's redundant.
Someone had this idea from another forum that I thought about, but in the end, turning the key is the most efficient, definitely cheapest way. which puts this mod, very close to the bottom of my to do list.

"You walk up to the car, the proximity sensor unlocks the doors. Then you push in your 4 digit code into the num pad which turns the car to "Start/Run" Mode. You then push the "Start" button which engages the starter."

" *Once the keyholder is in the car's "bubble" (the required distance from the vehicle for the key to be recognized) the car will automatically unlock the driver's door."

http://www.asianwolf.com/car-alarm-keypad.html
http://www.keepitcleanwiring.com/catalog/Push-Button-Start-Systems/Standard-Systems

^No key needed, but far to complicated for the simple task of starting my car. Neat concept though.

Christopher

reincaster

Dec 25, 2009
Guam
Athena;1522300 said:
I've thrown around the idea a couple of times, but haven't come up with anything I liked, especially for the price I would pay.
If I did do something, There wouldn't be anything involving turning of a key. that's redundant.
Someone had this idea from another forum that I thought about, but in the end, turning the key is the most efficient, definitely cheapest way. which puts this mod, very close to the bottom of my to do list.

"You walk up to the car, the proximity sensor unlocks the doors. Then you push in your 4 digit code into the num pad which turns the car to "Start/Run" Mode. You then push the "Start" button which engages the starter."

" *Once the keyholder is in the car's "bubble" (the required distance from the vehicle for the key to be recognized) the car will automatically unlock the driver's door."

http://www.asianwolf.com/car-alarm-keypad.html
http://www.keepitcleanwiring.com/catalog/Push-Button-Start-Systems/Standard-Systems

^No key needed, but far to complicated for the simple task of starting my car. Neat concept though.

Christopher

Motorcycle alarms have the proximity sensor. When I walk up to my bike with the alarm remote and key it disengages, and I can start it. I have it also have it set to if I fall off the bike while riding it, and the bike is separated from me by more than 5 feet, the alarm will sound. Might be a good system to look into, at least for the proximity sensor.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
walking up to the car and it unlocking because you have the transponder in your pocket is cool. if it unlocks from a certian amount of feet with out pressing buttons and allows you to press a button to start a car all with the remote in the car then its nice.

with out any of that you might as well just push the unlock button and turn the key. its not a hard design, it does not take any energy, it is very simple, and the only reason you want to change it is because you want to be cool/ make your old car look new/ or are trying to be trick in a very ugly way.

having to do this and this to start your car while the passenger watching does not make it theft prof, nor does it make it look tech.

unless you had a new system like the new avalons where all you have to do is have the remote in the car and push a button its ghetto trying to make it look like that.

---------- Post added at 09:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:46 PM ----------

reincaster;1522305 said:
Motorcycle alarms have the proximity sensor. When I walk up to my bike with the alarm remote and key it disengages, and I can start it. I have it also have it set to if I fall off the bike while riding it, and the bike is separated from me by more than 5 feet, the alarm will sound. Might be a good system to look into, at least for the proximity sensor.

all new bike will shut off it you fall off it. if you fall you really have nothing to be concerned about other than your self or if some one was riding with you, as if your in a public place most people will call 911. if the bike is idling and you drop it the bike will shut off.

proximity sensors are nothing new to cars. in fact bikes are 100x times easier to steal than cars.

reincaster

Dec 25, 2009
Guam
Sorry, my bike is from 1981. The point us that the alarm will sous if you fall off, in case you lose control at NIGHT, and hope fully someone will be able to fin you before it's too late.

Athena

Rawr
Jun 22, 2009
Raleigh, NC
hvyman;1522308 said:
walking up to the car and it unlocking because you have the transponder in your pocket is cool. if it unlocks from a certian amount of feet with out pressing buttons and allows you to press a button to start a car all with the remote in the car then its nice.

The door handle has a sensor on it, and when you touch/lift it, and your transponder is within range, it unlocks the door, allowing you to open it. (At least those are what I've seen.)

So that solves the first no key issue. Then you could use either the 4 # keypad then press the nifty button or use the same technology as the door panel I believe. When you press the start button, if you have the transponder with you and it is within range, (It should be if your in the car) it will start.

Otherwise, theft wise, the button does nothing.
Could someone find the right frequency and take it? yes
Could someone find a million other ways to steal it otherwise? yes
I'm more worried about one of my douche neighbors running into it than stealing it.

Christopher.

Athena

Rawr
Jun 22, 2009
Raleigh, NC
jetjock;1522332 said:

Damn, 500 for the basic of basic of their lineup. still somewhat steep for the simplicity of the mod.
If it won't get me one step closer to 12's its not on my list.(or will it >.>) XD

Just had to come in and kill our whole button theory didn't ya. maby they can make the sensor round instead of circular, and make it red just like your pushing the button, but really it's checking your print. I mean damn, for 500+ I expect it to do much more than start the car XD

Christopher