I told a Honda forum that MkIII Supras are better..LOL

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
cuel said:
Umm....

Honda has one major flaw on the stock motor. Floating cylinders(can't believe no one's mentioned this??) Yes, you can slap a turbo on the stock motor and run low 12's, but without a block guard, it won't run long. When you start putting a lot of pressure into the cylinders, and cranking high rpm's, you run a very real risk of the top of the cylinders moving around. This in turn causes head gasket failure. Water in the oil, water in the cylinders, high rpm's under boost.... bye bye motor.

Running 12 sec. or better with no internal engine work on a Civic? Not for long....

Ehhh...u should read up a little better on Hondas first.
I have seen a handful of Hondas with a BHG. Supras?-100s upon 100s
Hondas have excellent oil systems, no need to shim the pump or any of that crap..and theres pleanty of guys running stock oil pumps on HUGE hp builds.
I dont think ive ever heard of an instance of floating sleeves..the sleeves will crack before they float. Which is very common on a bad tune or improper clearances.
Really the only problem some face is just the head lifting, which is fixed by installing headstuds and a STOCK headgasket(yes almost all stock Honda HGs are MLS and they only cost $45 from a parts store)
Ok you can float the sleeves if you have some serious ass HP on stock sleeves. The fix for this is to get a set of $900 sleeves installed..Then your block with be almost bullet proof, and you can bore it out to 84mm(from stock 81)and then you have a 2.0 liter engine when you started with a 1.8.

-Oh and actually, block guards are pretty much useless in Honda motors...Research has shown they do not support the sleeves any better than with no blockguard. Only blockguards that really work well are ones that are custom made and press-fit into the open deck.(to basically make a closed deck)
-12 second 1/4 mile is easy in a Civic hatchback...Its called K20..out of an RSX-S. That can also be had with full interior, normal street suspension and probably drag radials NOT SLICKS. So these cars can also be driven everyday.
Of course....that is about a $6000 swap but its worth every penny. Heres an example
646.90whp / 522.40tq @ 7600rpm GT35R K24 block/stock K20A2 head (11.2 @ 125)

-You think stock honda motors cant handle 12second runs?? GTFO
Go to honda-tech and look around in the forced induction forum. There is a thread in there for the higest HP STOCK BLOCK Hondas. Actually, here you go http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1478127
630whp on a stock B16 bottom end.
Some of them have the times next to them.
7Ms or 1jzs cant do that i dont believe.

Really its dumb to argue that Supras are better than Hondas. They are 2 completely different cars on different ends of the spectrum. Ok yea the supra is comfy and very nice to drive on the highway or on longer trips. But you dont have to completely strip out the interior to make a Honda fast..Stock seats,carpet spare tire/tools and the sound deadening is really no more than 250 lbs. in most cases..Basically not even worth it. And no you dont have to put skinny tires in the back to make them go down the track either..
Oh and whoever said Hondas dont handle better than the supra needs to pull their head out of their ass. Ever heard of the ITR? CTR? S2000? NSX? All would rape an mk3 on a twisty track.
I took my civic and my supra out on 2 occasions under the same conditions on the same road and while the supra may accelerate faster..my fat ass civic coupe ex (weighs 2650 with me in it and a full tank of gas) can carry more speed thru the turns with less body roll and i dont ever have the feeling every other second that the back end is about to slide out on me like the supra feels. Might have something to do with a my supra being a targa model.
You really cant argue about which is better..Each serves their own purpose in life..Which is why i have both. So stop ur hating and dont be a troll.
Oh ya...Check out these sleepers http://www.importatlanta.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147827

Last edited:

Jenya

SupraBoii
Feb 8, 2007
Edmonton, AB
At the end of the day those guys still drive hondas, and we still drive supras.

(unless its an nsx, but that's a different story)

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
RedEj8 said:
I took my civic and my supra out on 2 occasions under the same conditions on the same road and while the supra may accelerate faster..my fat ass civic coupe ex (weighs 2650 with me in it and a full tank of gas) can carry more speed thru the turns with less body roll and i dont ever have the feeling every other second that the back end is about to slide out on me like the supra feels. Might have something to do with a my supra being a targa model.
You really cant argue about which is better..Each serves their own purpose in life..Which is why i have both.
....If your driving technique is the same for a rwd car and a fwd car you will never be able to take a turn. They both have different entry and exit angles, speeds, and braking points.

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
Yea I had to almost completely change my driving style when i started driving the Supra.I can accelerate waay faster out of the turn in the Supra than i can with the Civic due to it having a little understeer when trying to accelerate..I dont have an lsd in the Civic either so it likes to spin the inside tire a lot..sux. I did noticed tho that i got hella brake fade with the Supra and when i got done there was smoke comming out of both front wheels.lol guess i need to upgrade to a BBK.

Last edited:

Justin727

T-virus infected
I don't care what kind of honda it is, when you think honda immediatly you think rice because of the F&F wannabe's and then its associated to cheaper econo boxes.

but either way i'm not driving a honda either and if I had to have one it would be to save gas. Not bashing it as a piece of junk but ford takes the cake!!! but of course they build gt's and such...

but the originally stated post was about a 1.8L accord.

o well thread should be closed

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
JustAnotherVictim said:
Uhhh you can do plenty over 600 on a stock 1j bottom end.
500 is about where you call it quits with the 7m unless you change the rods.

So perhaps you should do some more reading.

OK so i was quick to judge the 1jz....sorry.But i have read plenty of stories of 1js shreading thrust washers even with stock twins..maybe it was the clutch or how the owner treated it. Actually i want to swap a 1j in place of my 7m whenever it goes south. :D
But my 7m statement still holds water...I believe u can really only reliably make that much on a 7m after doing oil system mods and changing the headgasket and bolts and various other mods.
Dont get me wrong..i absolutely love Supras as much as the next guy (which is why i decided to get into debt to get one)...but what is the first car most ricers think about when they hear "Supra?" Thats right..the ricey orange one from F&F.

Last edited:

MRSUPRA

Apr 11, 2005
Maryland
This is getting gay. See what happens when you start bashing hondas... Now you got the honda boyz coming on here bashing the MK3 supras and 7M's. And now thanks to RedEj8, I'm going to go sell my supra and it's POS 7M and go get a honda. After all, I'm getting tired of torque and easy horepower with the stock engine. I would rather start swapping engines and sleeving blocks. And god I love that FWD on the street.

Angry7M

Formerly redmaro
Sep 6, 2007
AZ
MRSUPRA said:
This is getting gay. See what happens when you start bashing hondas... Now you got the honda boyz coming on here bashing the MK3 supras and 7M's. And now thanks to RedEj8, I'm going to go sell my supra and it's POS 7M and go get a honda. After all, I'm getting tired of torque and easy horepower with the stock engine. I would rather start swapping engines and sleeving blocks. And god I love that FWD on the street.

Yeah pretty worthless thread.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
MRSUPRA said:

:word8kn: 12 second car, lets see......
6k motor swap plus other parts....or....bolt ons and drag radials?
manual locks, windows, and cramped space....or....big comfy power everything?

Not to mention the honda guys use of parts and technology from y2k and up as were using 1990's technology and still kicking ass. An 89 civic with a turbo k20 is like a mk3 supra with a turbo 2uz....

Not bashing or hating at all, ill respect any true street performer, track cars are track cars and are expected to be fast, a car that drives to the track as it was just driving you to work, makes quick passes and drives home gets my respect.

And those ones you listed, the NSX, S2k, Those are all 35-80k+ SPORTS cars that are newer by 10 years or more.

Last edited: