I need more traction, BTW I'm a newb

the1andonly0032

Jan 18, 2006
Iowa
I have an 87 turbo but have a huge problem getting the power to the ground...I can't launch when I race because of my tires spinning and even just hitting the gas too hard can make the tires go into a spin. Besides some good tires what is something I can do to improve my grip while maintaining a budget?

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
the1andonly0032 said:
I have an 87 turbo but have a huge problem getting the power to the ground...I can't launch when I race because of my tires spinning and even just hitting the gas too hard can make the tires go into a spin. Besides some good tires what is something I can do to improve my grip while maintaining a budget?
What sort of tires are you running on the car now? Model and size?

Wider tires are your friend. Stock supra comes with 225s, but you can fit up to a 245 onto the sawblades or MKIII 5-spokes no problem.

After that, MKIV N/A rims are still 16", but are 8" in front, and 9" in back compared to the sawblades which are 7" 245/265 setup with these is good

MKIV TT wheels are 17x8, and 17x9.5", even bigger still. Most people run 245/275 setups on these but you can fit 255/285 on it, barely (I do).

All of the MKIV wheels will bolt right on, and the offsets still clear anything.

slidebabyslide

Starting FRESH !!!!
Dec 17, 2006
salinas,california
so you pop the clutch in order to launch your car from a dead stop?
there are ways in order to launch your car and not spin your tires that much.
Are you sure your not a cop>? lol
Ok,try launching your car with your e-brake and find your sweet spot, but you will have to slip the clutch. In my old supra i was running falken azinas, but I'm not sure what they call them any more, the tire was made for auto-x,but the price and the grip they offer for the price was good .
I'm thinking of purchasing this soon, http://www.importintelligence.com/F...35&-RecID=12837235&CustID=PerfectLaunch&-Edit

make sure your suspension can take it.

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
I believe traction is the word you're looking for. I came in this thread thinking it might actually have some substance about cornering... guess not.

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
Lets give the guy intelligent answers, not bricks in the trunk... :aigo:

:icon_razz :icon_razz :icon_razz

This is something we've all had issues with, especially once you start making power...

As stated, you need GOOD tires, thats easy... There are several good tires on the market that are sticky and easy to get... Its hard to really direct you, because I dont know what wheels you are using... If you are on sawblades, mkiv wheels, after market, etc...

The next thing you need is a suspension set up that can keep the tires planted... Like B2D posted, traction arms are a great way to help plant the power... The stock traction arms are TINY compared the A1 or LIPP traction arms... The other thing you want to do is make sure your rear suspension components are in tip top shape, firm and not real bouncy... Toe in your camber a few degrees so when your car squats, it flatens the tires out... Make sure you havent over inflated your tires...

Read OutOfStep's thread on drag racing, there is alot of good info there...

But yeah, post up what your car has so we know where we can help you improve...

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
get good tires and you'll have no problems.. I just barely spun in 1st with liek 450+whp on my singled 1j with 275s (were bfgoodrich kd tires though..) thought at like 350whp on my 2j right now I'm hazing these shitty continental pos 275s.. I'm sure the 18s vs 17s dont help either in my case..

the1andonly0032

Jan 18, 2006
Iowa
I have a 16x7 american racing rim, I have potenza bridgestones on it? not that great also looked at the traction arm and the passenger side is bent but driver side is good...tires come first?

the1andonly0032

Jan 18, 2006
Iowa
No someone asked me what tires im using like that would change the fact I need wider tires? Don't ask me stupid insulting questions please

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
You don't NEED wider tires for traction, You need better tires, width will be more noticed in corners. Quality, grip, and condition of a tire will be noticed everywhere. mkIIIman asked a simple question, the way you worded it, it seemed you didn't know what type of tires you had. Please don't ask a question if you're not willing to take advice.

Fix the traction arms first. Broken parts require attention before upgrading.

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Right now I'm riding on Yokohama AVS Sport tires.
http://www.yokohamatire.com/TireIntro.asp?TireID=10

285/40/17 in the back, 255/45/17 in the front. They grip decently well, and are VERY controllable when they are slipping. Plus, I LOVE the tread pattern on them. They're not too bad in the rain, and useless in the show.

I can't comment on tread wear, I've only put a few thousand miles on them.

Just my $0.02

the1andonly0032

Jan 18, 2006
Iowa
how wide can you get with a 16x7 and when does it start to throw my spedometer calibration off, sorry about flippin out on that last post I was at work and needed to take off some steam on someone