I need more traction, BTW I'm a newb

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
Width will not effect the speedometer, sidewall height will.
225 is a good size for a 7" rim, you could probably pull off 245's, I think people have even stretched 255's on, but that's pushing it, and you will probably only see a loss in performance when putting a tire on a rim that it is not suited for.

CFSapper

AKA Slient_sniper
Apr 24, 2006
Chilliwack
the1andonly0032 said:
how wide can you get with a 16x7 and when does it start to throw my spedometer calibration off, sorry about flippin out on that last post I was at work and needed to take off some steam on someone

I thought it was hight that threw off the speed calipration??

tookwik4u89

Red T-shirt
Apr 6, 2005
Rockford, IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by the1andonly0032
how wide can you get with a 16x7 and when does it start to throw my spedometer calibration off, sorry about flippin out on that last post I was at work and needed to take off some steam on someone

I thought it was hight that threw off the speed calipration??

It is the height!

And the widest you can get in a 16x7 is 7"

16x10 is another story;)

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
OneJoeZee said:
Negative.

Get better and taller tires.

A nice grippy 225 will still be better than a low quality economy 255 or something.

Of course a good 275 will be even better.

quoted for truth. wider tires won't help you that much in a straight line. wider tires help with cornering. stickier, taller tires will help. sidewall flex.

that being said, "grip" is generally thought to be used in cornering, which this conversation doesn't talk about, so i changed the thread title for you.

-shaeff

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
you can fit about a 245 on 7" wide wheel.

Speedo only starts going out when you start putting wheel tire combinations on with a larger then stock overall diameter.

Eg: 285/35/17 will still read stock, my 285/40/17 tires read about 5% too slow.

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
Suspension and tires are important, but so is technique.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I've heard and read, the best launch is the rev into your turbo's boost range (about 3200ish on my car) and release the clutch gradually, as though you were starting out at a stop light, ect. As the clutch engages, apply more and more gas to keep your revs constant as your clutch gets closer to fully engaged... then stomp it down to the ashphault.

Dumping the clutch will just roast the tires, heat them up, and make them slippery (as that I understand street tires get "less sticky" when you roast them; they're not racing tires).

I believe you want to launch with just a little bit of wheel spin to peep your tires. Suspension setup/upgrades and wider/better tires will of course move the traction threshold around. I'm unsure if this applies, just throwing it out there.

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
Keros said:
Suspension and tires are important, but so is technique.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I've heard and read, the best launch is the rev into your turbo's boost range (about 3200ish on my car) and release the clutch gradually, as though you were starting out at a stop light, ect. As the clutch engages, apply more and more gas to keep your revs constant as your clutch gets closer to fully engaged... then stomp it down to the ashphault.

Dumping the clutch will just roast the tires, heat them up, and make them slippery (as that I understand street tires get "less sticky" when you roast them; they're not racing tires).

I believe you want to launch with just a little bit of wheel spin to peep your tires. Suspension setup/upgrades and wider/better tires will of course move the traction threshold around. I'm unsure if this applies, just throwing it out there.

That's correct. All tires perform at their best when heated up, but street tires reach their best effiency at a much lower temp. than DR's. A quick spin to get the dirt off your street tires will yield the best results, anything more is just burning off rubber and making them too hot and slippery.

In braking the maximum possible efficiency is 18% slip. That would mean 82% traction, or just a little bit of shirping without sliding. If this is the case in acceleration(and I don't see why it would be much different) than just "alittle bit of spin" as you stated will be the optimum take-off. Try balancing between clutch, and tires, while trying not to smoke either, and you will be good.

7Mboost

7M Powered
Aug 15, 2006
Gainesville, FL
MassSupra89 said:
For launching, but you'll lose response in the corners and at higher speeds.

Honestly, it doesn't sound like he'll be doing any high speed cornering...but what mods do you have on your Supra the1andonly0032?

the1andonly0032

Jan 18, 2006
Iowa
About the Tire Pressure I'm doing 31 up front and 26 in the back....less on the front thinking that you want the least rubber touching the ground? Does that make sence?

And with the launch of 3-4k rpm and easing off the clutch worse for your clutch then just dropping it? (a lot more wear but less of a chance of straight up breaking it)

I've got intake and 2.5" testpipe and no leak turbo that is capable of 9 psi but an in enginebay boost control and keep it around 7

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
at that power level it's either tire or you're launching wrong

A GOOD drag launch is murder on your clutch. You need to slip it or your tires will slip, and once they slip, they don't like to grab again. Dropping the clutch works on a GOOD racing clutch that is designed to slip, then grab when hotter (stock will just slip the hotter it gets).

7Mboost

7M Powered
Aug 15, 2006
Gainesville, FL
the1andonly0032 said:
About the Tire Pressure I'm doing 31 up front and 26 in the back....less on the front thinking that you want the least rubber touching the ground? Does that make sence?

And with the launch of 3-4k rpm and easing off the clutch worse for your clutch then just dropping it? (a lot more wear but less of a chance of straight up breaking it)

I've got intake and 2.5" testpipe and no leak turbo that is capable of 9 psi but an in enginebay boost control and keep it around 7

Try to slip the clutch with those little mods you should be able to obtain traction very easily!