I have a warrant out for me? I don't suppose we have any lawyers here....

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Well this is great. Through a source I'll only mention as the 'grapevine', I found out that 2/21/08 a warrant for my arrest was put out from Sumter fucking County.

This has to be in relation to 1 of 2 things:

1) In 2002, I was arrested for driving on a suspended license. I had to do an 8 week long weekend work detail. I completed this, but have no record of doing so (as I've moved too many damn times since).

2) My father has the same name as I. He's been in and out of jail all his life, and is currently living in Sumter County still. It may be something related to him, but Sumter County refuses to give me any information.

I'm getting a lawyer for this. Period. I've dealt with Sumter before, and they are the most backwards assed 'good ol' boy' fucking dump of all time. I'm going to take the initiative and see if I can get this taken care of, BEFORE getting arrested.

Problem is, this is really bad timing for me. Odds are very good I'll be parting out the Supra to pay for the lawyer.

DegreE

Banned
Jan 11, 2008
Memphis & Miami
Damn. GL with everything.

PS: I've been caught driving with a suspended licence, just just paid the fees to get it back ($300), went to court with my DL and documents that it was paid for, and the judge threw the case out. No points, no record, no nothing.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
Damn.......That's screwed up. The sad part is, once you pay one of the good ole boy network to represent you, the record of your time served will probably be found and it will go away. They will then probably all party at your expense.

I wish I could help. Maybe I could buy some parts or donate parts to you for resale.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Not that easy, they've notified all surrounding counties (including Alachua, my resident county) about the warrant. Nothing's come up thus far on it.

Just got off the phone with a lawyer. He's saying that since I've been available (haven't skipped out of state), am in school working toward an Engineering degree (basically, productive member of society) that he'll try to talk to them in Sumter. If they shut him out, then he'll try to see if something can be done outside the 59 day sentence. Problem is, I know Skidmore, and he's a serious hardass. I'm thinking I may be better off with an attorney that has dealt with Sumter County before.

Either way, look for a serious part out in the next couple hours.

AF1JZ

Almost civilian status...
Jun 26, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
Definitely deal with the attorney. Like you said, it might be something to do with your father. So, no point in getting booked when you should be in the clear.

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
I have a BA and an MA in Law, but i'm not familiar with your legal system...however, in my system, if theres a warrant out for you, and its a mistake, you have to present yourself at a police station, with legal counsel saying that you're complying with their request, but that you believe a clerical error has occurred and could they please sort it out. Rather, your legal counsel would be saying that, you remain silent, except to answer questions that your counsel says to.

Basically, you do whatever your lawyer tells you to - in such circumstances, your word is worth nothing to them (in the vein of 'i didnt do it and it wasnt me!') but your lawyer is more infallible. He also has the clout to back it up.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Yeah, I'm calling a couple lawyers right now. I have a friend that actually just finished her bar - and her father is a councilman in a different county - that I'm going to get a recommendation for a lawyer from.

Gotta do something while the camera is charging, lol.

jkbmkiii

Supramania Contributor
Nov 24, 2005
Castle Rock colorado
Doward,

The county jail where you did you weekend work assignment will have proof in the courts public record..... Ive been through this and I had my girlfriend get the records before I went to the county courthouse to take care of it.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
I did a search online, with nothing turning up. I don't think they have any record of me completing the work program, or this shouldn't have turned up in the first place.

Sumter county is so damn back woods.

Laura just brought up a good point - I did get pulled over my last weekend (it was on a saturday, IIRC) and was late getting there. I got a bunch of shit for it, but I insisted I stay and finish my work. They let me stay (jesus, this was 5 years ago, it's hard to remember) - That Sunday, I seem to recall coming back for my final day, and the Sarge told me I was through.

jkbmkiii

Supramania Contributor
Nov 24, 2005
Castle Rock colorado
Doward;961111 said:
I did a search online, with nothing turning up. I don't think they have any record of me completing the work program, or this shouldn't have turned up in the first place.

Sumter county is so damn back woods.

Laura just brought up a good point - I did get pulled over my last weekend (it was on a saturday, IIRC) and was late getting there. I got a bunch of shit for it, but I insisted I stay and finish my work. They let me stay (jesus, this was 5 years ago, it's hard to remember) - That Sunday, I seem to recall coming back for my final day, and the Sarge told me I was through.

I could not find anything online , only in the Court house.

Frank Rizzo

Banned
Jul 25, 2007
Fixing your girl's car
Damn 59 days....while that's no picnic, that is really not THAT bad, IF that is the end of the story, no probation, case closed. Just my 2 cents and I know people are gonna be like WTF, maybe even you. But that's just how I look at these things.

Turn yourself in and have a family member bail you out. Fight it on the outside, trust me on this. Not that you don't know this......

DsBetterHalf

The Pretty Doward
Jan 25, 2008
Alachua, FL
Would I have to drive all the way to Sumter County? It's like 2 hours or so from here, and I have no idea where the courthouse is.... Do you know if they would give the info over the phone, if just to tell me that they have it on record or not?

DsBetterHalf

The Pretty Doward
Jan 25, 2008
Alachua, FL
Frank Rizzo;961119 said:
Damn 59 days....while that's no picnic, that is really not THAT bad, IF that is the end of the story, no probation, case closed. Just my 2 cents and I know people are gonna be like WTF, maybe even you. But that's just how I look at these things.

Turn yourself in and have a family member bail you out. Fight it on the outside, trust me on this. Not that you don't know this......

Can't do 59 days, that fucks him where school and work are concerned.

And I can't afford to bail him out, we don't have that kind of money. And the rest of the family is in the same boat we are.