**I have a question about down shifting**

TuRbOdReAmZ87

Supramania Regular
Feb 2, 2007
Southern mass
www.cardomain.com
Well when i was taught how to drive stick. The way i was taught how to down shift was to push in clutch, shift into lower gear, tap gas pedal, and let go of clutch. But i noticed when my friend was driving it, he was down shifting a whole different way. He pushed in clutch, goes into lower gear, and instead of tapping the gas he just lets go of the clutch real slow. And i asked him why he down shifts like that. And he was like its the right way to do it. And i dont know if he's right, i mean he is currently taking classes on manual transmissions. lol But i was just wondering if that wasnt a good way to do it, or if there really is a proper way of doing it. Any answers would be great. Thanks. :)

Last edited:

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
Your friend is wrong. Matching revs by tapping the gas puts less wear and tear on the clutch. Also, when done right it disrupts the car less. This is particularly important if you are downshifting in a corner.

AF1JZ

Almost civilian status...
Jun 26, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
Either one is fine. I usually give it slight gas to make it smoother when I let out on the clutch. But, you can also do the other way.

51Cards

Back again...
Sep 5, 2007
Whitby
www.autosoftsys.com
Your friend is still technically wrong IMO if you want to have those nice syncro's last a long time :) Yes, both will work... rev matching puts significantly less strain on the trans though not to mention the disruption in the car's motion.

As IJ said though, pre-syncro's your friend would have been reefing on the stick trying to get it into gear and hearing lots of pretty grinding noises.

Ckanderson

Supramania Contributor
Apr 1, 1983
The beach
IJ. said:
Your friend might have been "wrong" 40 years ago BEFORE Syncromesh gearboxes but now either way works fine......

except your disrupting the car.

if he downshifted mid corner he could find himself backwards realy quick.

rev matching is the way to do it.

Ask him why ferrari is now building rev matching into its SMG gearbox downshifts.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
<old man hat on> You kids don't know how good you have it with modern cars in my day......... ;) <hat off>

A lot depends on how you're driving the car just plodding slowly around town method #2 is fine and won't really hurt/affect anything, it's not like a 7M is a high comp motor that will lock the rears on compression/engine braking.

Spirited driving is another matter I always rev match if pushing ard and will use some slip if I'm jumping on the brakes as well.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Ckanderson said:
except your disrupting the car.

if he downshifted mid corner he could find himself backwards realy quick.

rev matching is the way to do it.

Ask him why ferrari is now building rev matching into its SMG gearbox downshifts.
How does it "disrupt" the car if he slips the clutch on the downshift? :nono:

Sure if he drops it down a gear and just drops his foot off the clutch.

TuRbOdReAmZ87

Supramania Regular
Feb 2, 2007
Southern mass
www.cardomain.com
IJ. said:
<old man hat on> You kids don't know how good you have it with modern cars in my day......... ;) <hat off>

A lot depends on how you're driving the car just plodding slowly around town method #2 is fine and won't really hurt/affect anything, it's not like a 7M is a high comp motor that will lock the rears on compression/engine braking.

Spirited driving is another matter I always rev match if pushing ard and will use some slip if I'm jumping on the brakes as well.

yeah i mean i remember when he was driving it wouldnt matter how fast he was going he would still downshift like that. So say he was driving down the street doing about 40-45ish and then he comes up to a red light. He'll just down shift into like 3rd or 2nd and let off the clutch real slow! I mean after being in 5th! wtf? lol

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Dreams: Still wouldn't make a whole lot of difference ;)

The rev match makes life a bit easier on the syncros once they're engaged it's all good (try 100 mph 5th to 2nd and you'll find their limitations though)

Sin: Say I'm playing on winding roads I'll be using 3rd/4th a lot hammer up to a hairpin bend rev match and go 4>2 stand hard on the brakes to kill the speed feathering the clutch so the engine braking doesn't affect the braking balance from being on the limit, this will bring the engine rpm up getting the motor into it's happy range to accelerate off the slow corner.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
IJ. said:
Sin: Say I'm playing on winding roads I'll be using 3rd/4th a lot hammer up to a hairpin bend rev match and go 4>2 stand hard on the brakes to kill the speed feathering the clutch so the engine braking doesn't affect the braking balance from being on the limit, this will bring the engine rpm up getting the motor into it's happy range to accelerate off the slow corner.
Slow in fast out right?

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
AJ'S 88NA said:
You should be downshifting BEFORE you get to a corner not when you are in the turn, "slow in fast out".
You should be doing heel-and-toe. At least for racing. When you aren't on a race track you're probably not always wanting to be downshifting for every corner, but you may decide mid-corner that you need to downshift.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
AJ: Correct it works well for Turbo cars where having the engine spinning fast mid corner helps it get back into boost sooner, if you try and get back on it too soon it really upsets the balance mid corner....

Totally different driving styles depending on the motor, for example I used to have a 12.5:1 comp 302 SBC that would rev to 8k and on downshifts it would easily lock the rears wheels through compression if not careful and you'd get CK's "backwards into the scenery" ;)

TuRbOdReAmZ87

Supramania Regular
Feb 2, 2007
Southern mass
www.cardomain.com
IJ. said:
Dreams: Still wouldn't make a whole lot of difference ;)

The rev match makes life a bit easier on the syncros once they're engaged it's all good (try 100 mph 5th to 2nd and you'll find their limitations though)

oh alright. Well thanks for the info! I appreciate it. :)

MK3Brent

Very expensive....
Aug 1, 2005
Greensboro and Greenville NC
IJ. said:
That must be ROUGH on your auto. :)