HP needed to beat a Camry - READ PLEASE and GIVE FORTH YOUR KNOWLEDGE

Aug 1, 2007
Arizona
I know there are many externalities and other variables involved with this question so I'll give as much info as I can holding all other things contant and we'll see if we can get somewhere in the ballpark with this one.

I have a perfect running completely stock low mileage (75k mi) 87 Turbo Supra. It has an automatic and with the help of a friend and his "timer" I was able to time several 0-60 runs from a stand still. The average was 6.8 sec and some runs were right at 7.0 seconds. Altitude 1600 ft, 67 degrees out - bright and sunny - again, completely stock with an automatic and tires with about 1000 miles on them.

I wanted, past tense, to keep this car stock... as I am the second owner w/all records from day one and all maint. completed at Toyota. You can see, maybe, why I would like to keep her all stock.

The breaking point... to get on with the story... last week a friend of mine purhased an '08 Toyota Camry SE V6.

Because I thought the car felt pretty quick, we went to a private paved area and made a dozen or so runs from 0 to 60. Both cars are automatics, both started at a standstill. He beat me every single time, with ease.

I did some research to find that the new Camry could hit 60 at 6.0 seconds given the right conditions. Just about anyone that can mash the accelerator pedal can smoke me in a Camry V6.

A FREAKIN' CAMRY!

Okay, so taking into account 21 years of technology and the fact that the Camry has .5 liters of displacent more than the Supra out of it N/A EFI engine... I am still... well... humbled that what I consider one of the best looking body styles to grace the planet can now be easily beat, in stock form, by a "plain Jane people mover."

My goal: safely bring my Supra to 60 in under 6.0 sec - in fact, if possible, bring it to 60 in 5.5 seconds without going nuts with a larger turbo, larger fuel injectors or other major work.

THE BIG QUESTION:
With an after market intake, a manual boost controller taking the engine to 10 psi max (in stock form is makes about 6.3psi), a nice HKS turbo back exhaust... WILL I ATTAIN MY GOAL of 5.5sec - or even 6.0sec? I know most of you run 1/4 mile times - I've read this forum for years - but does anyone know what I should get out of these changes with respect to HP and then convert that with the knowledge that I have an automatic and the specific weight of the stock Supra.

Most of you will be able to calculate this in your heads... I need to know if this is possible. I am also willing to beef up the tranny if that is needed for reliability purposes.

The Headgasket is a moot issue as that has already been addressed.

Again, this car is in PERFECT MINT RUNNING AND LOOKING CONDITION - I want to move forward with performance upgrades that will bring the car into modern times - it doesn't have to beat my 350Z, or my buddy's TT or my other buddy's S2000, however, give me a break... IT DOES HAVE TO BEAT A FREAKIN' CAMRY! I feel a little ill about this.

If you have knowledge in this area or know where I can go to calculate weight and hp correlating to 0 - 60 times, that would be super.

Please let me know.

Last edited:

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
if you want just some quick HP, run it open downpipe(disconnect the cat)
and shim the waste gate with two washers.

you shim it by placing the two washers between the turbo and the wastegate flange... if it doesnt make sense i'll go take some pictures for you...

anything over stock will help you...

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
go ahead and do some bolt ons. I know you want to keep your car stock but all the bolt on mods you'll need to beat a camry can be easily returned to stock whenever you want.

Exhaust, downpipe, intake, boost controller, injectors, whatever. Go from less than 200rwhp to near or above 300rwhp without having to compromise your clean car. A Camry will be the least of your worries. Your 350Z shouldn't be any problem either.

230hp at the crank in a heavy ass Supra ain't shit. Do the mods and give the car some much needed pep. You'll be glad you did.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
he's got 30+ hp on you, shouldn't be too hard..

raise up the boost a bit, if traction is an issue, replace anything needed, and of course, tires make a HUGE difference...

Aug 1, 2007
Arizona
Wow, you guys are already online. I had to make some changes to my post and before I could repost it some of you are already giving some good input.

I am going to use Dr.Jonez mbc as a starter point just to see what it feels like.

If I get "hooked" I will move forward with a complete HKS set-up, EBC, down-pipe and exhaust. I am not certain which intake I'll put in there.

Someone made a very good point - I can return it completely back to stock if I wish to do so in the future.

Aug 1, 2007
Arizona
SIDE NOTE... I was very very impressed with the 08 IS350's power, even more so that my cousin's 335i. I took the IS350 for a test drive this weekend. If that engine could be "shoe-horned" into my supra, along with the 6 speed tranny and padle shifters... hmmmmmmmmmmmm... I still like the looks of my Supra.

I saw a BMW that really looks like the SUPRA at a car show a few months back. I think it was a 6 series and it was a little older, maybe even late 80's or early 90s... very odd... I saw on there a thread with MISC pictures once that also showed one, it was quite some time ago.

Anyone know what car I am talking about or even think the same way? The front end looks like it could have been taken from the MA70 or MKIII body architecture.

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
Why make a fuss about this? In the future, "plain jane" cars will get faster to the point that you'll need an upgraded turbo :p

Oh well. Have fun beating one car out of the many that'll come out.

May 18, 2007
Aarhus
dezthumper;951605 said:
SIDE NOTE... I was very very impressed with the 08 IS350's power, even more so that my cousin's 335i. I took the IS350 for a test drive this weekend. If that engine could be "shoe-horned" into my supra, along with the 6 speed tranny and padle shifters... hmmmmmmmmmmmm... I still like the looks of my Supra.

I saw a BMW that really looks like the SUPRA at a car show a few months back. I think it was a 6 series and it was a little older, maybe even late 80's or early 90s... very odd... I saw on there a thread with MISC pictures once that also showed one, it was quite some time ago.

Anyone know what car I am talking about or even think the same way? The front end looks like it could have been taken from the MA70 or MKIII body architecture.

BMW 850i

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
neetriht;951650 said:
While the IS350 is pretty potent, you don't want that engine. It has its fair share of problems that are starting to pop up.

Such as? (I'm curious, cause my cousin has one)

87mgte

87 Turbo Targa
Sep 9, 2007
Sequim
Intake (I recommend the Apex'i Power Intake), 3" turbo-back, MBC or EBC @ 10 psi... I don't see why that wouldn't do it. If it doesn't, try 12 psi?

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
I'd recommend getting an HKS Turbo exhaust for your car, as well an aftermarket 3" downpipe. With those two simple mods, buyers won't even notice it's not stock, and you'll have considerably more power than your buddy's Camry.

87mgte

87 Turbo Targa
Sep 9, 2007
Sequim
emiliorescigno;951707 said:
I'd recommend getting an HKS Turbo exhaust for your car, as well an aftermarket 3" downpipe. With those two simple mods, buyers won't even notice it's not stock, and you'll have considerably more power than your buddy's Camry.

lol Even the quieter (full) 3" exhausts are pretty loud compared to OEM. Maybe 3" downpipe with HKS and a Tanabe series muffler?

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
87mgte;951721 said:
lol Even the quieter (full) 3" exhausts are pretty loud compared to OEM. Maybe 3" downpipe with HKS and a Tanabe series muffler?

Of course they're louder. The stock system is small and crush bent, and has the most restrictive mufflers ever. It may not look stock, but for sound, Tanabe is easily one of the quietest. I'd go with a BIC DP/Tanabe Catback :)

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
I've seen guys hit 10psi with just a good exhaust and intake, no boost controller, the stock system is considerably restrictive, and again brake boosting is your friend.

NewWestSupras

SoupLvr
Mar 1, 2006
White Rock
After the exhaust, do the intake upgrade, (injectors, afm, fuel pump) up the boost a bit, maybe a 1-pce. driveshaft. All these things are easy to put back to stock if desired. That Camry will be in your rear view afterwards. gl! I'd address the tranny too, if it was me...