How do i stop this crazy wheel hop business??

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
I have HORRIBLE wheel hop and am currently attempting to fix this problem. I am replacing the suspension bushings with Poly, adding LIPP traction arms, I replaced the wheels/tires and I will most likely replace my shocks (all 4). If I still have wheel hop...I'm driving it off a cliff.

EDIT: My car doesn't make much power (280hp, 340tq) but I managed to put a nice bend in the stock bars. They don't seem too strong to me.

This is the best pic I could find. I added that yellow line in MSPaint. The two ends of the line are touching the bar. Notice all the light between them? Ya...my bar is fucked. lol
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Last edited:

mk3ukr

Apr 12, 2005
Odessa, Ukraine
mk3ukr-supra.net
BorHor said:
If you still have wheel hop change the diff. I think that is one of my problems.

How bad diff can cause wheel hop?
I wheel hop on 1st, 2nd and in the beginning of 3rd gear when runniing 1/4 mile on street tires. Brand new bushings, Lipp traction bars. Blame it on stiff wall Yokohama AVS Sport 265/40/17. Not the best tires to drag race :biglaugh:

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
Sawbladz said:
I have HORRIBLE wheel hop and am currently attempting to fix this problem. I am replacing the suspension bushings with Poly, adding LIPP traction arms, I replaced the wheels/tires and I will most likely replace my shocks (all 4). If I still have wheel hop...I'm driving it off a cliff.

EDIT: My car doesn't make much power (280hp, 340tq) but I managed to put a nice bend in the stock bars. They don't seem too strong to me.

This is the best pic I could find. I added that yellow line in MSPaint. The two ends of the line are touching the bar. Notice all the light between them? Ya...my bar is fucked. lol
sm_photo_missing.jpg

I'm starting with these bad boys since they are directly related to traction problems and most reviewers mentioned it ceased all wheel hop. That way i don't need to replace 1 million other things too since i don't have the money. Start where the problem is.

LIPPtractionarms1.jpg

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
Upgrade the suspension. You could make a 1000+ hp, but if you can't transfer it to the ground, your wasting your time. The more power you have, the better your suspension needs to be. The steel Lipp traction bars look like a great improvement, as well as the Whiteline(?) or ST sway bars and adjustable links. A good set of coilovers would help as well. Definitely get the new poly. bushings for everything. That 15+ yr. old rubber just isn't gonna do the job.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Hello, my name is Suprahero and I too suffer from wheel hop.................Hello Suprahero (everyone says in unison)

I'm definately going to upgrade my swaybars and traction arms this winter. Thanks for making me feel O.K. with my problem. This therapy crap really works............:biglaugh:

Tun_x

Built to do the NASTY!!
Apr 1, 2005
Utah
replace the bushings with a stiffer one put some trac bars in as well as a decent tire and it should solve your problems

Jason

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
*sigh*

you guys are letting me down... am I the only one that worries about suspension and going in more than a straight line?

Seems like the only time you guys touch the suspension is cause it's too high, it makes noise, a balljoint falls apart, or you get wheelhop...

Mr. Y

Mar 31, 2005
80 miles away from Kremlin
Well, there are a lot of advices here (bushings, sway bars etc), but they all are theoretical =(
So, have anybody solved wheel-hop problem? If yes, then post full list of parts changed please (including brand names and catalog numbers).

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
Most people go with the LIPP if they are serious about traction/performance/reliability. The LIPP traction arms are a lot beefier than the A-1's.

Ian, you've got traction now, stop trying to fool these people thinking they can beat you from a dig ;)

viper92086

Jan 12, 2006
NJ
i guess i will be the first to say no wheel hop during dry weather (wet sometimes)... st sways and tein coil overs, my tires are 245's.. maybe i'm running a skinnier tire than everyone else?

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Be careful about buying the aluminum LIPP arms off places like eBay...LIPP no longer makes the aluminum arms due to cracking issues at the mounting holes (because of improper installation). The aluminum arms require spacers/washers on each end to relieve stress when they are tightened down.