How do i stop this crazy wheel hop business??

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
Just that, i get lots of wheel hop even in wet conditions! My friend told me its really bad for the car, i had no idea. What do i have to do to stop this??

FYI i searched and searched and couldn't find anything productive/helpful

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
Sway bars transmit suspension movement from one side of the car to the other, keeps the car flat(er) in the corners by forcing the suspension to stay level. Would have negligable effect on traction issues I think.

They do make traction bars for independant suspension apparently, I don't know where to get it from or anything, but they're out there.

rumptis

나는 제프가 당신을 사랑
Aug 16, 2005
North Vernon, IN
Do you still have stock shocks and springs?

If so I'm sure changing that new shocks will help out a lot if they are junk and stiffer springs will help as well.

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
BorHor said:
What is actually wheel hop? Is it a slight hop when turning or something? If so I got rid of it after alignment.
I'm pretty sure it's when you spin the tires under acceleration and the wheels "hop" on the ground instead of spin more smoothly.

A1 has traction bars I think.
[edit] A1 Racing trailing bars discussed briefly here: http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14479
LIPP traction arms: http://www.suprasport.com/LIPP-Rear-Traction-Arms_p_67-145.html[/edit]

buldozr

Jan 9, 2007
North Texas
IwantMKIII said:
Just that, i get lots of wheel hop even in wet conditions! My friend told me its really bad for the car, i had no idea. What do i have to do to stop this??

FYI i searched and searched and couldn't find anything productive/helpful

easy and beneficial solution, take your foot off the skinny pedal on the right. Gas Mileage FTMFW! J/k, sounds like your getting up their in power, I would start considering some suspension mods, possibly some poly bushings for the rear would help out a bit, those adjustable arms are pretty cool but i havnt gotten to play with those yet(not enough power). Either way, have fun!

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
rumptis said:
Do you still have stock shocks and springs?

If so I'm sure changing that new shocks will help out a lot if they are junk and stiffer springs will help as well.

Ibelieve the struts were replaced by toyota dealership rather recently by previous owner, suspension is still very stiff.

Thanks for the tips guys, im always open to more if anyone else has input...

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
FYI- Wheel hop is axle bind up.
Due to excessive unsprung weight, shot traction bars, poor shock dampening, ect....

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
on our cars it's usually 3 things...

-way too much power/traction that is actually bending the traction bar (yes we have these stock)

-bad shocks

-bad bushings

There are more issues that can cause it (tires, diff, and a million other things), but I'd focus on those first...

There are some GARBAGE shocks out there for our cars, tell us what they look like or have written on them as that could be the issue , even if they are new...

(struts are for a MacPherson strut setup and they are actually a main part of the suspension and take side loads, ect, unlike our cars)

hottscennessey

DONT BE A BITCH!
Jun 3, 2005
Richmond, VA
I get really bad wheel hop.. blah I hate dropping money on suspension (typical MKIII owner outlook, and the same reason a lot of us have this problem).