Holset turbo on 1jz?

ToyoHabu

Jun 25, 2005
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
The Reaper said:
so how did he make so much power on 12 psi where he couldn't get traction in 3rd???? if trucks have them stock and dont make more than 300whp on 27psi??? makes no sense

Its down to the fundamental differences between diesel and petrol engines. there making 300 whp but thats at 3000 rpm so its making 700 ft-lb torque :aigo: diesel thrive on turbo chargers its criminal not to have one you get better fuel economy and more power win win :naughty:

SLO89MK3

Aug 2, 2006
Mesa, AZ
definitely in the motor design and fuel. if you get a turbo that can push a diesel motor to 500 hp you have a mean turbo. plus dont think of it as how much it can make on a motor. look at wheel sizes and housing sizes. also think about flow.I bought the turbo because of the flow rate it was said to have, and to try something new. bought the turbo for 463 and bought a new exhaust housing. got it looked at and it was in PERFECT condition. sat in my garage for 8 months. threw it on my car and went with it. within the first 5 minutes of starting my car i was drifting around a parking lot haha.(car sat for a year, had to have my fun).

i would slide all over in the rain in 3rd it hit kinda late. but that was at 10 psi. shitty tires, but 5k in the rain in third meant no traction. i was too afraid to find out if 4th did it or not.

aphxero

Jul 4, 2006
Seattle, WA
okay this thread got big haha.

Ive decided to try out an hx35 12cm^2 twin scroll t3 turbine housing. Tial 44mm ext WG and the manifold I got from evilempire (thanks dude!).Same compressor as the hy35. I have nice piping everywhere. Also gonna fab up a 4" dp. Gonna tune for anywhere from 14-18 psi.

If it doesn't meet my spooling needs I'll toss it for an hy. Ive heard that the 12cm^2 twin scroll will spool a little fasterthan an hy (9cm^2) if you use it correctly. We shall see :) I mean what do I have to lose? $200 that's what.

I'll update when ever.

The Reaper

Single, and lovin' it!!
Jan 10, 2006
Florida
ok does anyone have dyno graphs of these turbos on a 1J or normal car other than a diesel????

why dont more people use these then instead of the shit ebay turbos if they are soo good??? is it worth it to use these?

aphxero

Jul 4, 2006
Seattle, WA
I think it's because people wanna be able to say "I got the greddy t88 yo" or what ever. Every time I tell someone I'm using a holset they have no clue what it is.

People also equate cost with quality. The $$$$ turbos might be a ittle better. Durability I'm not sure about yet. I am sure a nice BB turbo will outperform a holset any day. but not for $200 :) We'll see what happens.

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
MDCmotorsports said:
They are cheap on ebay because the stock dodge guys don't want them, and depending on the compressor housing location, you'll have a funky internal wastegate setup.

I know on my old hy35, I had to cut the wategate flange on the compressor housing off, and re-weld on a new one in the right location so I could clock the housing correctly.

Reaper: Read my post up top. This is why most people dont use them. Also, there is still the myth that a diesel turbo won't work on a gas engine. NEWS FLASH. 90% of all turbos on cars today started off as a diesel design.

Cheers.

BTW, Id be happy to help any body going Holset with any problems you may have. I'll be starting my second Holset supra project here in a few months.

MDCmotorsports

SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
aphxero said:
I think it's because people wanna be able to say "I got the greddy t88 yo" or what ever. Every time I tell someone I'm using a holset they have no clue what it is.

People also equate cost with quality. The $$$$ turbos might be a ittle better. Durability I'm not sure about yet. I am sure a nice BB turbo will outperform a holset any day. but not for $200 :) We'll see what happens.

Ive got a DBB holset here. We'll see how it performs. I also have hx/hy exhaust flanges for making down pipes. LMK if you need one.

SLO89MK3

Aug 2, 2006
Mesa, AZ
i think its cost. and maybe a little to do with its hard to find any info on holsets. theres a lot of dsm guys that are using hx35's and hx40's. i think my next turbo will be an hx40 with a 12cm housing. i just cant ditch the fact that these turbos are so cheap yet so reliable and can flow so much. only thing that im worried about is spool. which with the correct setup should not be an issue. also everyone will give you shit for using a diesel turbo, cuz it came off a diesel. screw those guys, its tried and true my friend, and the hx series is better than the gt, just not the ball bearing ones.

aphxero

Jul 4, 2006
Seattle, WA
SLO89MK3 said:
i think its cost. and maybe a little to do with its hard to find any info on holsets. theres a lot of dsm guys that are using hx35's and hx40's. i think my next turbo will be an hx40 with a 12cm housing. i just cant ditch the fact that these turbos are so cheap yet so reliable and can flow so much. only thing that im worried about is spool. which with the correct setup should not be an issue. also everyone will give you shit for using a diesel turbo, cuz it came off a diesel. screw those guys, its tried and true my friend, and the hx series is better than the gt, just not the ball bearing ones.

Yeh totally. And as far as the hard to find info thing. Make some info and try shit out. People are such pussys it's only a few hundred dollars! If it turns out shitty I don't care. And if people rag on me for having a diesel turbo then fuck em. I can laugh at them for wasting their life savings on a "kit" or what ever, only to make the same power.
I already get a lot of shit for having megasquirt. They usually shut the fuck up when they see it running well.

Sorry I'm not saying I'm fast as hell or anything. But I can embarass $60,000 audis and BMW on the highway. They hate my $500 piece of shit.

For me it's about economy. At the beginning of this car it took me $2000 to make 300whp. Now it will take me another $1000 to break 400. Still good. this way I can spend my money on things that are important to me. Better suspension components and tires.

sorry for the rant. And mdc I might need to get that flange fom ya buddy.

Btw, here's n HY35 on a 2.0l honda:
faxon.png

aphxero

Jul 4, 2006
Seattle, WA
It says he351c. That's the front facing outlet version of the hy35. In other words, this guy
sm_photo_missing.jpg

here:
wMTI0NDQ5NTZzNDEzZGZkMzF5NTQx.jpg

Last edited:

irocznissan

May 28, 2006
nj
well ive put one one a sr20 and it hauled ass. but the lag was rediculous.. 5000 spool lol. but yeah its possible especially if a sr can do it.

The Reaper

Single, and lovin' it!!
Jan 10, 2006
Florida
damn 5000 spool time??? thats retarded if they spooled faster it'd be worth it i dont want to sit around waiting for boost to kick in.

SLO89MK3

Aug 2, 2006
Mesa, AZ
theres more than just one exhaust housing man. you can go with a bunch of different sizes if you go with the hx series it seems like.

And i know my supra with the 7m would do 18lbs which was full boost right around 4k. im not too sure because it was hard to pay attention to all that at once. my dumbass did 18 psi on two pulls went lean and poof. byebye 7m. stock block, stock injectors. not intelligent. i learned my lesson haha. the car was rediculous tho.

i raced my buddy that had a bone stock mk3 7m and i literally thought he stopped in the middle of second. i finished 4th gear well before a half mile. my buddy that was in the car with me said he had never been in a faster car. the turbo was so loud that you could only hear it and not the open turbo elbow or the dumping to atmosphere wastegate. and that was only at 18 pounds. imagine 28.

Ive been tossing the idea of a diesel turbo around for about 3 years now, and i decided to just do it. the hot side was way too big but i did order a 14cm^2 one but never got to use it, i sold the turbo, had to pay for another ticket. number 9. and make car payment.

the week i got my supra running i raced my audi s4, bone stock, against my supra at 5 psi. my supra walked my s4 lol. so i got to see the expensive car vs the cheap supra haha. Audi is the daily anyway haha.

Red7m

Oct 16, 2005
Hollidaysburg PA
Bulleye Power also make Exhaust housing for the HX series to bolt onto DSM's, which would help spool time over the Holset exhaust housings.

aphxero

Jul 4, 2006
Seattle, WA
The Reaper said:
damn 5000 spool time??? thats retarded if they spooled faster it'd be worth it i dont want to sit around waiting for boost to kick in.

That dyno is on a little 2.0l honda motor. And yeah you can get the t3 housings for it down to 9 cm^2 (.63 equivalent).

I'm not worried. If I fail to meet my goals at least other people will have some solid info.

The Reaper

Single, and lovin' it!!
Jan 10, 2006
Florida
true

so you guys think its worth it?

i just dont see how it can be so fast at 18 psi if its equal to a 57trim.

i want to do this turbo upgrade but im not sure what exhaust housing to get

where's another place other than ebay to get them CHEAP???

SLO89MK3

Aug 2, 2006
Mesa, AZ
i had an h1e which is considered an hx40. which is able to flow 72 or 75lbs/min. which is more than a gt40. the compressor wheel inducer and exducer are the same exact size on the turbos but my h1e had an antisurge inlet and a bigger compressor housing.

The Reaper

Single, and lovin' it!!
Jan 10, 2006
Florida
i've been reading about these turbos all damn day and i dont see any one making huge power with these turbos to the point where they can't get traction in 2nd or third gear

hondas at 10 psi on the Hy35 are getting traction in 3rd so it can't be making THAT much power

MDCmotorsports

SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
You're looking in the wrong place.

There was a supra over in Holland IIRC that was running a hx50 making massive power.

Also, look at the Ford 2.3 ltr guys for more info. They LOVE the hx35,40 and the hy35.