Hmmm, accident on friday.

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
I was at a stoplight going to make a left turn (it was a very sharp left turn. Sloped downhill and was sort of a u-turn-ish type thing). The light turned green, I accelerated (which I thought was light throttle...) and I lost traction and I hit some white SUV (couldn't tell what it was). Weather conditions were decently heavy rain.

The damage on my car is very minimal. A small dent on the front/leftside, but the SUV had a messed up wheelwell. Anyways, after the cops came, they just said "you'll recieve a summons on weds" and something about "careless driving". So, now what?

This was around my school, and the vice principle happened to see this. The vice principle said I'm just getting a ticket, but the cop said I'm going to court. I'm guessing the court thing is optional and if I go I have a chance at reducing/removing the pts and stuff? Tell me about this stuff, I'm not really familiar.

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
oscolivar1 said:
prolly said its careless driving cuz its a sports car and ur 17

Yes, I know that part.

EDIT: I was driving to school. This accident happened right before my school....also, the rain wasn't "HEAVY", it was in the middle of light/heavy but then it stopped in some areas etc.

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
Hmmm. I had someone with me during the ride. He's a friend of mine. Maybe I could bring him along, even though he's only 17?

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
Geezus, 3 mk2s have been totalled this past month, and at least 2 mk3s have been scraped up bad, WTF

WTFFFFF

PROJECT N00b

XBL: Mkiii DriFt3r
May 22, 2005
honolulu, california
www.myspace.com
not a good month perhaps...but next month shall be a great one! you will find out shortly. sorry to about that pare, i think you should bring up that the police officer was "profiling" you just because of age and the car.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
Thats called ignorance on the cops part, they see a 17yo with a nice car, Reckless driving.
but when a soccer mom in a fuckin SUV kills a family in a honduh. "hey accidents happen".

trucker

Feb 18, 2006
i'm bad, i'm nationwide
um....it's careless driving because he failed to maintain control of his car.

sorry if i'm coming off as cold, but if you cant maintain control of your car, in all conditions, you don't need to be driving it.

he could have gotten you for failure to mantain control, speeding for conditions, exhibition of acceleration, wreckless driving, wreckless endangerment, and several more things i bet, be thankful it's only careless driving.

not to sound like an asshole, but it is your fault, best thing is to man up, admit it, and "pay your dues",i don't think having your vp in for saying you wern't being careless isn't gonna work out too well for you, the facts as wou presented them show that you were being careless

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
Heh, that was like 4 years ago back in high school. The cop was like, "I could give you wreckless endangerment and it'd go on your driving record and your insurance would go up and I'll f$@# up your life" (he didn't really say that last bit). He ended up not giving me a ticket because he looked up my school record and saw that I was a 4.0 student. What can I say, I just like going fast... It's not my fault the girl walked into the road/parking lot without looking both ways...

exander

Anything but Lurker
May 23, 2006
colorado
I don't think legally that it could affect your driving record, but who knows, mayeb it can, I haven't stufy law so I dunno, but that would be pretty fucked up if that could affect driving records.

bobiseverywhere

bobb'n for money
Apr 1, 2005
Montreal
www.bobiseverywhere.com
Ma70.Ent said:
Hmmm. I had someone with me during the ride. He's a friend of mine. Maybe I could bring him along, even though he's only 17?

ask your VP if he would be willing to come and testify for you in court. that will have allot more pull then a friend saying everything was normal.

don't forget to mention to the Judge that the car is a rear wheel drive. Very easy to slide by mistake in the wet. I have done it many times by error. even have gone sideways lightly accelarating from a stop light with brand new tires on. Plus my car was basicly stock too.

racingtoyota007

Sep 16, 2006
Georgia
was it a manual you could claim you were just learning how to drive a stick shift car :) thats what i did when i ran a red light before lol. the cop pulled me over and i claimed i had just bought the car and was just learning how to drive stick shift and he let me off with a warning ftw!

trucker

Feb 18, 2006
i'm bad, i'm nationwide
bobiseverywhere said:
ask your VP if he would be willing to come and testify for you in court. that will have allot more pull then a friend saying everything was normal.

don't forget to mention to the Judge that the car is a rear wheel drive. Very easy to slide by mistake in the wet. I have done it many times by error. even have gone sideways lightly accelarating from a stop light with brand new tires on. Plus my car was basicly stock too.

testify to what? he was driving, and lost control....dosen't matter weather he was being "careless" or not

exander

Anything but Lurker
May 23, 2006
colorado
^^^

For being cited with "careless" driving it does matter if he was "careless" or not. He may still be at fault for another reason but that specific citation is invalaid IF he can prove that he was not being careless when driving.

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
I just get a little bothered when people blame the car all the time. He is not really blaming the car in this case but I have heard it before. If you didn't have a blowout or broken suspension component then it's your fault period. When it's wet slow down. We all know that at 17 you don't have the patience or judgment skills fully developed. I was in an fender bender too when I first started driving.