Heat "cloth" under hood.

eman2289

Noob..but not incompetent
Feb 23, 2007
Jersey
I dont know exactly what it is called, but has anyone removed it in order to allow more heat to get out of the engine bay? I just went outside about 20 mins after shutting my car off, and there was coolant from the overflow. I looked at my aftermarket temp guage and it was at 230! I have a turbo timer that kept the car running for a minute and 30 seconds.

Thanks in advance,
Eman2289

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
i would never remove that...its saved my car before.

its a fire blanket....if theres an engine fire the tabs on the blanket melt and it falls onto the engine bay supposedly suffocating the fire out.

it saved my hood and quite possibly my car once.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
That sucker can save the paint on your hood from being cooked by the radiating heat of the engine bay, but the most important function is it's a fire blanket, don't remove it.

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
eman2289 said:
I dont know exactly what it is called, but has anyone removed it in order to allow more heat to get out of the engine bay? I just went outside about 20 mins after shutting my car off, and there was coolant from the overflow. I looked at my aftermarket temp guage and it was at 230! I have a turbo timer that kept the car running for a minute and 30 seconds.

Thanks in advance,
Eman2289

ya like everyone said keep it.

wut i did to help w/ the heat soak boiling over thing is let it idle like your doing. And i removed the rubber weather stripping behind the engine between the hood and the car. Its got like 8 clips but it really brought down my temps and i dont have to worry about rain because i live in a desert valley.

wuts your coolant/water mixture like?

Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE

SF what a waste of supras
Jun 22, 2006
SoCal
www.myspace.com
Doesnt the seal thing in the back under the hood keep the exhaust gases from coming in through the vents if set up for outside air on climate controls?

Would suck if you had an exhaust leak and die from CO poisoning.

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
Downey, California, United States
Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE said:
Doesnt the seal thing in the back under the hood keep the exhaust gases from coming in through the vents if set up for outside air on climate controls?

Would suck if you had an exhaust leak and die from CO poisoning.

That's exactly why I put my weatherstripping back in. If your cooling system can't operate properly with it there "blocking" airflow, then there is a problem, and it needs to be fixed.