Heat "cloth" under hood.

eman2289

Noob..but not incompetent
Feb 23, 2007
Jersey
Ok... maybe there is a problem. But 10 people telling me that there is a problem doesnt help. I need suggestions. It has a new thermostat, water pump, 50%-50% water to coolant. Would overfilling the overflow bottle cause it to spit out coolant? Does the coolant flow into it that freely?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Is your only symptom that the resevoir spit out coolant?

The resevoir fills up to the hot mark on the resevoir when you drive the car It is called thermal expansion. When it cools, low pressure pulls it back in. This is why there is a hot and cold mark on the resevoir.

Ric

Setting the standard
Feb 22, 2007
Central Florida
www.1jzgte.us
Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE said:
Doesnt the seal thing in the back under the hood keep the exhaust gases from coming in through the vents if set up for outside air on climate controls?

Would suck if you had an exhaust leak and die from CO poisoning.

Yes, the rear rubber seal is what keeps the exhaust gasses and heat from entering the cabin vents.

Yes, I know by experence. :nono:

(first 5 mins of that seal removed, sniff sniff cough cough... must.. open... windows.. before i pass out...)

eman2289

Noob..but not incompetent
Feb 23, 2007
Jersey
Doward said:
Yeah, are you sure you didn't overfill it in the first place?

I said in a previous post that i did, but thge only thing that i had a worry about is that i drove the car before it spit coolant, and it didnt do it while the car was off... I will just see if it happens again.

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
I pulled my hood cloth out because it was falling apart. I had clumps of the stuff all over my engine bay. A few months later and the paint under the hood is turning grey. Outside paint is still fine and no other issues without the cloth.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
I'll leave mine there for 2 reasons a) it helps protect the paint and b) more importantly it gives you a few seconds to get the extinguisher happening before the car burns to the ground. (we ALL carry an extinguisher now don't we)

I had a Turbo feed line bust on my old 77 Lancer and the pad gave me the time I needed to get it under control with very minor damage to the car (towed it home replaced the hose pressure washed the bay and it was fine)

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
IJ. said:
I'll leave mine there for 2 reasons a) it helps protect the paint and b) more importantly it gives you a few seconds to get the extinguisher happening before the car burns to the ground. (we ALL carry an extinguisher now don't we)

I had a Turbo feed line bust on my old 77 Lancer and the pad gave me the time I needed to get it under control with very minor damage to the car (towed it home replaced the hose pressure washed the bay and it was fine)

Im not sure what type of extinguisher you used. I hope people read up on using them in/on cars and the after effects of them. Theres alot of different types out there which can do just as much damage in the long run as the fire.

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
eman - if you had come back earlier it would have been even hotter. Before I put in my e-fan I would easily see 115-120C 10 minutes after I shut the car down on a hot day. Totally normal.

PS - 1 min 30 is WAY WAY overkill to let the car idle.

bountykilla0118

In Pursuit of 500rwhp
Jul 16, 2005
Atlanta GA
How old is your radiator? Check your fan how much free play does it have? Change the rad cap and you might as well change the thermostat while your at it. If those things dont solve your overflow issue ............ My friend you have a bigger problem::bhg::