He Did It!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

siman

Lifetime Ban
Mar 31, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
www.cardomain.com
As some of you know, my brother has been working on a way to integrate the electromotive HICAS All wheel steering system from the R33 GTR/GTS-T into his N/A 2 seater Z32.

Well as of last hour, he/we did it! 2 months of him staying up 'till 2am drawing wiring diagrams and making a ONE OFF custom wiring harness and installation...its over. The only thing left is to actually mount the HICAS acutator...which is just metal fabbing...which is the easiest part!

Here is his thread on SkylinesAustralia.com
http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70832&page=1&pp=25

He is the only person to date in the world to do this integration. R33 HICAS control module and partial harness ( used as model), a 98' S14 HICAS Acuator, and a 96 TT300Z Steering angle sensor....and a bunch of other custom units.

Some of you may ask the question "WHY"?....."we have heard its for sucky drivers and people that cant counter steer quick enough"....

Why you ask? Its because he CAN do it....and plus that is does improve high speed handling and lane change manouvers and also countersteers for you.

Read every page..every question and answer is on there.

Pics will be up soon!

-Jonathan

siman

Lifetime Ban
Mar 31, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
www.cardomain.com
First, the 94' and up TT 300Zx's had the electric Hicas system, but it didnt have yaw rate feedback...it also used an 8 bit computer...the Skyline HICAS control module or rather the ECU uses not one, but TWO 16 bit computers...that is a WHOLE lot more controlability over the actuator.

he used an S14 Silivia HICAS unit itself (same part # as the GTR33-and GTS-T33), a R33GTR HICAS ECU..and also the skeleton of a R33 GTR chassis harness including the HICAS harness which he had to cut away and then model...

He bought all new connectors that were keyed so they would only fit one way just like OEM....also used teflon coated wire ....made his own fuse boxes with custom relays and even a control module to turn on and off HICAS as he pleases.

He is by far the only person in the world to do this....

Some of you dont care, and see no significance in this whatsoever...but in the Nissan geek realm, this is HUGE.

The whole problem with the Z32 HICAS unit was it had a slow 8 bit computer with minimal computability on actuating terms....it also was hydrualic in the first Z's before 94' which is even worse....

the GTR's unit had the yaw rate feedback which in itself is a HUGE bonus....the HICAS ecu can actually sense the yaw angle ( lateral G ) and speed and actuate the HICAS accordingly!

The best part again, is that he has the ability to turn it on and off as he pleases.

Next, since he has done this...we are planning to drop the VG30DETT swap ( the twin turbo swap) and go with a smaller motor with more of a aftermarket following...its name is the SR20DET....

One guy in Canada has done it. He has been in contact with my brother for some time regaurding custom motor mounts and transmission adapter plates for the use of the stock Borg-Warner 5 speed that comes with the car. I can say my brother will excell in the wiring harness for that...since if he can write up a CUSTOM one off wiring harness with no ties with the stock HICAS harness in 2 months from scratch...I think we can put together an engine harness.

Its very exciting to actually do something no one has ever succeeded in doing. Although it doesnt involve supras at all...I helped him quite a bit! And learned how to read wiring diagrams better and also learned alot of computer/wiring lingo! LOL

-Jonathan

siman

Lifetime Ban
Mar 31, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
www.cardomain.com
CtSupra said:
if your going to swap, why not swap the rb26 in??

as for the hicas swap, tell your brother good job for being a inovative techno freak!

RB26....well the parts are immensly more expensive and harder to get. Plus the length of the motor just makes it that much harder to fit in the engine bay...though people have done that power swap and actually one guy is here in the US that has an RB26 300zx....its dark blue...he was stationd in Japan, and actually flew his US 300zx over to japan to do the motor swap or something around those lines...flew it back and walla!

There is a guy on the 300zx forums that is putting a RB in his red convertable....he also made the worlds only single turbo'd VG30DET(T)...he had a thread on SF as well...

Me and my brother really dont want to get into custom fabricating a V mounting for the radiator and intercooler...the SR would give AMPLE tinkering room in that small engine bay...and also...keep the thing cooler! And taking off that much weight from the front can only do good! You just add some aero tidbits for some downforce and get some nice suspension settings....

Again, thats in the pre-doingit phase LOL...we still have alot of time, and alot of money to save up....

my 7m...well I have since changed my plans....I am just going to build up another 7m ( scrapping the 1jz swap idea)...for $3000 I could grab a nice turbo kit and rebuild it with 7.5comp pistons and new pauter rods and a nice knife edged crank with some better oil journals for higher rpm use.....

I am aiming at 600whp...with a nice .90A/R turbo. Maybe an HKS T51Kai could do it....they are pretty powerful and pretty obtainable...or just get a custom unit from a turbo store online....but BB it has to be.

The 450whp goal is just to easy to me....with the fuel mods and tuning devices I have planned...I can easily get 500whp....judging by numerous people on 7mpower. And I know who can run my wiring for the standalone... :icon_bigg

-Jonathan

p5150

ASE and FAA A&P Certified
Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
Thats cool man. I was worried about you at your first conception.... :puke: you have come around and I hope to see more positive, contirbutory and productive posts.... very good. :icon_bigg

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
cool!!
2 thumbs up for your bro. Now will everyone know his name because he is the first to do this?

L

lanky189

Orion ZyGarian said:
Kickass on teh HICAS, but I lost intrest after the SR20 swap part. Fuckin tired of SR20 this SR20 that

i hear ya man.... the sr is played the hell out.

siman

Lifetime Ban
Mar 31, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
www.cardomain.com
The reason is because its a affordable power maker thats super reliable and sounds good!

If you have ever ridden in a rebuilt fresh SR20'd 240sx....they are some of the most punchy little turbo motors out there! They remind me of the the b18's in integras the response is so quick!

Coming around LOL jester, I have always been this way...very intellectual....just sometimes It seems I figure "hey its the internet"....but when business is conducted on the internet I take it a step further to be more proffesional.

-Jonathan

Squid699

Manic Mechanic
Mar 30, 2005
Chesapeake, VA
siman said:
If you have ever ridden in a rebuilt fresh SR20'd 240sx....they are some of the most punchy little turbo motors out there! They remind me of the the b18's in integras the response is so quick!

I have. It's nothin to write home about. It's just different than the 7m.

siman

Lifetime Ban
Mar 31, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
www.cardomain.com
rpk2012 said:
Tell him congrats. Thats pretty wild!

Wild is not the word when you see like 100wires all going different directions and he(my brother) knows where each and everyone goes...and knows they work! He checked them like 5 times each with a multi meter! Hopefully if he shows his boss at Square D, he might promote him or something. That is the type of dedication and engineering skills they look for in the higher up positions.

-Jonathan

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
siman said:
Wild is not the word when you see like 100wires all going different directions and he(my brother) knows where each and everyone goes...and knows they work! He checked them like 5 times each with a multi meter! Hopefully if he shows his boss at Square D, he might promote him or something. That is the type of dedication and engineering skills they look for in the higher up positions.

-Jonathan

hah! if only my hobbies could get me jobs. they want papers and documented proffesional experience. good luck to him.

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
What pisses me off about the SR20 is that the 240 owners act like it's their last and final option in life.

Seriously, I believe it was Turbo mag who said that the 240 got the short end of the stick, and that all of the other Japanese performance cars were lucky because they don't need a swap to make big power. Everyone acts like the KA24[D]E is completely worthless. The magazine mentioned the Supra [among others that already come with a great engine], but they don't include the MkIII. The 240SX and MA70 have a bit in common, if you think about the engines.

They both come with engines that are referred to as a "truck engine"
The most common engine swap is for one that has the same configuration [I-4->I-4, I-6->I-6] and smaller displacement [2.4L->2.0L, 3.0L->2.5L], but more horsepower.
The bastardized engines have a longer stroke, and make a larger torque number than hp number stock, and are more than capable of making great power if they are built and managed PROPERLY.

They both are some of the best looking cars of "their time" [and still hold their own during these times]

MA70 and S13 Coupe :love:

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
The KA24 is properly labelled a truck engine though, as it came in a truck first, then was brought to the 240SX, the M engines were never used in trucks, and were always a performance type engine. The only time I hear people call them truck engines is when they don't know any better (ie: the uninformed). I guess the long stroke could constitute a truck'ish engine, but I don't believe so.

I do agree with most of what else you said, except I believe when the 7M-GTE is compared to a 1JZ-GTE, it fairs better than a KA24(D)E does to an SR20DET... but again, it could just be me ;).

(PS: The 300ZX always looked better than the 240SX ;) -- except the S15, it's a tough one on that :p)