Have anybody mp3 of rodknock sound?

Mr. Y

Mar 31, 2005
80 miles away from Kremlin
Hello! I would like to listen how does engine work, whitch has rodknock. Can anybody record this sound on various RPM?
Also I think, that it will be useful for many newbies ;-)

Thank you.

7mgte3sgte

Wreckinyard scavenger
Apr 5, 2005
Boyd, Texas
home.earthlink.net
ok one if you cant designate a rodnock sound ur an idiot there is no other sound like it hmm imagine beating the inside of a cast iron bucket with a sledge hammer better yet ur head if you cant figure out if its the rod or not :wuteva:

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
dude not to mean either but, if you get a rod knock, YOU WILL KNOW, its like when something goes so wrong that you instantly know something went wrong, you have never heard the sound before but you just know somethings wrong. if you want to hear what a rod knock sounds like do what 7mgte3sgte said take a sledge hammer and slap it around on some cast iron. its sounds bad and if you have rodknock remember TURN OFF THE ENGINE.

supraaddict87

Apr 3, 2005
Morgantown WV
www.geocities.com
I dont know if a sledge hammer is the best analogy for every situation (though very possible). My N/A would rattle at startup, but once the oil pressure built up it went away, but eventually it did work up to a 12lb. persuader on the block.

hope I helped,
mike

TONY!

Habitual Supra Killer
Mar 30, 2005
Tonyland
If it will make you feel better, I have a file. rodknock.mp3

Now how do I get it to you?
Do you have AIM?

PM me or reply;)

tomjan87

Apr 18, 2005
Madison, WI
The other sound you would hear for the unexperienced would be either the valve train, it is noisy, or if you have improper clearance with the valve shims, which then need to be replaced with ones that give the proper clearance.

Dont worry, when i first heard the ticking of my inproper adjusted shims, i thought rod knock also, but i checked around, and it was not. its not that we are dumb, just overly worried!, and inexperienced.

for anyone else who knows alot, does leaving the engine with the bad clearance do anything bad, I have a ticking sound been there for about a year. doesnt get any worse, just fucken annoying. its a big job though to go about. May just wait till the head gasket blows to fix it, ill just turn up the music.

Thanks
Joe

Jayhall

WHIP THE PISS OUT OF THEM
May 7, 2005
Surrey BC
supraaddict87 said:
I dont know if a sledge hammer is the best analogy for every situation (though very possible). My N/A would rattle at startup, but once the oil pressure built up it went away, but eventually it did work up to a 12lb. persuader on the block.

hope I helped,
mike

the same thing is happening to mine these days, last time it did this i spun a main bearing about 2 months after it started. also it the motor knocks around 2000-2500 rpm. this problem came up 2 days after the car had been on the road after winter storage. i checked everything but the oil :icon_redf. so after reading this thread im wondering, is this sound related to the main bearing, or not :confused: the last time i heard this sound, one day on the way to work the bearing went and it sounded like someone dumped a bag of gravel into my cylinder.

ahmedootie

Camel Jockey
May 16, 2005
Vernon Hills, IL
you guys do kno that not all rodknocks are tha same rite? i had a 240zx with a rodknock that only made sound after 4100 rpms, and on my supra i had a rodknock from hell that was unnoticable...there are rodnocks that are sledge hammer on a metal bucket sounding, but there are alos rodnocks that aren't that noticeable...wit my 240, alotta people thought it was part of my engine, not a rodknock...u guys shouldn't b so full of urselves ;)
peace

kamil

87T Targa
Apr 4, 2005
Tucson, AZ
Not completely, but it should make it a little less loud. You're still spinning the entire crankshaft assembly when you disco a spark plug wire, its just that cylinder isn't getting fired so the force on that particular rod isn't as great anymore. Its still turning though -- so it technically should still knock a little, though if the knock is mild in the first place it may be inaudible afterwards.

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
Mr. Y said:
another question: should rodknock go out, if I will disconnect sparkplug wire (one by one for each cylinder)?

depends on severity of the knock, but 99% of the time @ idle pulling the spark plug will make it go away (no load on the rod then...).

BTW- mr.y feel like making a trip to the ukraine? some retard there ripped me off for $100....

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
hey man sorry about what i posted above just to me, i would think someone would know when they hard rodknock.

Mr. Y

Mar 31, 2005
80 miles away from Kremlin
drjonez said:
ah, no problem.

i sold some parts to a person in the ukraine. they didn't pay for them. i want my $$.
I see, man. Sorry, couldn't you tell his name? Isn't he Vladimir from Odessa? I'm gonna to buy some stuff from him, so if you have bad experience, I will not,

to D34DC311:
no problem, peace =)