Getting lots of Poly bushings

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
Well I took my car to get an alignment today. All bushings are seized. I have now ordered poly bushings to replace the stockers and the shop has started to rip it all apart. This is going to be one VERY LARGE BILL. lol

On the upside, the car will handle better, stop better and get better traction. :) Also, I'm having them throw on my LIPP traction bars while it is all apart. I would have preferred to do this myself and save some money but I haven't the time and my hoist is WAY too far from an alignment rack.

There goes all my money for my rebuild. :(

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
The labour is definitely the most expensive part. They estimate 15 hrs for the full job. Compare that to your local shop rates and it isn't cheap. The bushings are relatively cheap compared to the price of the labour. I would have liked to do this myself but it really wasn't possible. I'll just have to work some more Saturdays to pay for it.

Now I do have a question for those who have been running poly bushings for a few years. Are they squeaking yet? Did you use just the grease supplied or did you add in grease nipples?

EDIT: I'm using the Super Pro bushing kit. It was around 200 for the front, upper and lower. The rear's I am still awaiting pricing and availability.

tte

Breaking In - in progress
Mar 30, 2005
Northern California
Poodles said:
thinking it's the one on suprasport that's like $600...

guy that makes them is on the forums here...

RonnieK on here makes them. Ian (1J) uses them too so you know its not cheap stuff...Ian does not build a fast car with cheap useless shit.:icon_bigg

Cheers,
Roy

Syris

Need Rust Repair
Aug 24, 2005
Bryan, OH /Lima, OH
tte said:
RonnieK on here makes them. Ian (1J) uses them too so you know its not cheap stuff...Ian does not build a fast car with cheap useless shit.:icon_bigg

Cheers,
Roy

Wow is that a Vacuum cleaner I'm hearing?.....cuz something is sucking up:biglaugh:

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
nylon actually will give...some while a heim joint doesn't give at all...

IJ will come in here and say that heim joints don't belong on a street car...

suprageezer

Aug 27, 2005
Southern California
Nylon does not compress so there is no vibration deadening, they will rotate with the suspension geometry smoothly. I will also say heim joints dont belong on a street car from experience. I made all the trailing arms and lateral sway bar for the rear of my fiat 124 back in the seventies, they were toast in less than three months and I'm lucky I didn't have a nasty accident.

prsrcokr

Motörhead
Apr 3, 2005
Richmond
Just came across this thread. Did the shop finish the job yet? I've got the nylon bushings and I'd say 15 hrs. could be a great deal depending on the car. All of the rears had to be cut out, took some time to not damage the subframe while doing this. Luckily some of the fronts came out without cutting them.

At first I installed fittings everywhere, then thought it wasn't a good idea on the Al. arms so I replaced the arms when the ball joints went bad. I'd recommend against using this type of bushing (at least nylon) in the rear camber arm. I snapped one recently and after checking around found another person that had snapped several until replacing the bushing with the stock piece. Also, be aware that the rear #2 arm uses a pivot bushing, not a normal bushing. The purpose of this piece is to vary toe to give stability under acceleration and braking. I run close to zero toe in the rear but the car still feels stable, I'm imaging not replacing that bushing helped.
They've been in for a while now and see some fairly tough use ;)
I grease the ones with fittings at each change but have not yet noticed squeaking. I did use a dremmel to add a grove to each bushing as a valley to hold grease, I'm thinking this helped.

Hope this helps someone.
Brian

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
We had availability problems with the rear bushings so just the front is done and the car is in storage till next year. The guys at the shop have done this alot lately and never ran into the problems you metioned. Maybe the Poly were just a little more forgiving and helped the install.

I was very surprised how much rougher the ride became since the install of the front bushings. On the drive home from the shop on the highway the car felt great but you felt every single bump. If the car were a daily driver I would hate it. It's just a bit much to live with all the time. I don't know how people can stand anything harder than these. To me, that would remove all driving comfort from the car and I wouldn't want that.

I hope the addition of rear bushings doesn't increase the harsh ride too much. If it does, my future plans for coilovers will most likely never happen. Losing the progressive springs in favour of a stiffer, linear coilover might push it over the edge.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
better dampeners and springs would help.

the stiffer you make everything else, the more supple something else has to be to restore ride quality...