fuel tank removal Walbro install...

Eriol

Mar 31, 2005
Indianapolis
shaeff said:
i soaked my fuel lines in PB blaster for 2 days, then put a little muscle into it. (i do mean a LITTLE muscle, i'm a small dude, at 130lbs) they came right off.

mine's an 86.5, that's always lived in the north east... (salty)

-shaeff

/me 142 lbs at the time I did it :)

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
i have an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and ss braided lines, so when i dropped my take to change out the fuel pump i just got some rubber fuel line and ran it from the fuel rail straight to the gas tank of my daily driver and jumpered the fuel pump terminals underthe hood to drain the tank.

westonboege

May 25, 2005
providence RI
I am about to do this same thing... my tank is nearly empty.. once i get the tank down and off is there a good way to clean the interior of the tank? What about prepping and painting the tank... good/bad idea?

Eriol

Mar 31, 2005
Indianapolis
westonboege said:
I am about to do this same thing... my tank is nearly empty.. once i get the tank down and off is there a good way to clean the interior of the tank? What about prepping and painting the tank... good/bad idea?

Well, when I cleaned mine, I just poured some kerosene in there, stuck my arm in, and wiped down everything I could reach. Probably not the best technique. :)

For prepping and painting -- I'd recommend trying to find a place that restores gas tanks (like for classic cars and such). And if you find such a place closer than the east coast, let me know -- I've been wanting to find such a place myself to restore the original gas tank that came with my Supra. :)

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
id think you probably wont even have to clean it. my supra is an 86.5 and my tank was SPOTLESS. no dirt, sludge, nothing. the inside of the gas tank is probably the cleanest part of my car.

westonboege

May 25, 2005
providence RI
i didnt know they stayed that clean... when i got my supra the previous owner nearly demolished it.. im still finding stuff wrong with the car from them.... probably put some jello or something in the gas tank... but anyways...

the car is no longer my daily driver... so it will be sitting alot... except for on the weekends... etc... i just want to be sure its clean in there if im gonna have gas chillin in my tank for an extended period of time...

blackout_89t

King of the roll
Apr 25, 2005
Toronto
Gasoline is a great solvent/cleaner. You will NOT have to clean the inside of your tank.

The only circumstance where you would need to is if you always drive around with less than half a tank. Keep the tank full and you won't ever need to...

I cut the fuel feed line off at the fuel filter, left the fuel filter there and made my own -6an fuel lines with an earls fuel filter located next to my brake booster. I drilled out the stock pump mount so I could run my lines/fittings right into the tank to the pump.

Probably time for a dual pump setup this year, oh how much fun that will be to setup.

theDon

The Don
Mar 31, 2005
Med-City, USA (Rochester, MN)
I just replaced the fuel filter and line because mine was so stuck and after hacking at it for a while I figured in the interest of saftey just replace it all. Then it's the last time I'll need to go under there again :)

becauseican

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Vancouver
www.bicperformance.com
One word of wisdom, use a 6 point line wrenches when trying to loosen the lines, regular open ended wrenches will flex a bit causeing it to round off the nut. LIne wrenches are basicly like a boxed end wrench with a small section cut out so you can get it over the line.

ross1

Jul 14, 2005
va
becauseican said:
One word of wisdom, use a 6 point line wrenches

^^^ definately use these, if you don't have any pick up a small set at the parts store with the pb blaster it's really the only good way to know that the fittings are still good when your done

later,
ross

Eriol

Mar 31, 2005
Indianapolis
blackout_89t said:
Gasoline is a great solvent/cleaner. You will NOT have to clean the inside of your tank.

Unless it's full of rust like mine was. :( I got to drop my tank twice -- once to change the fuel pump, and once to change the tank. Heh.

But yeah, there wasn't a spec of dirt in there.

tsuper92

supra addict
Apr 7, 2005
mass
you might want to unplug the harnesses for the gauge and pump.there is a plate in the hatch with three screws holding it down.you can get at the wires for it.you don't have to pull the filler neck.you can open up your gas lid door and take off the little plastic boot off under the cap.i'm doing the same now myself.i kinda want to replace the skinny ass metal line's.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
yes, as randy said, use line wrenches. (flare wrenches) doing this job gave me a good excuse to get some. :)

-shaeff

blackout_89t

King of the roll
Apr 25, 2005
Toronto
If you have rust then the tank must have sat with no fuel for a while, not cool. :aigo:

And I second the notion to remove the four screws for the plastic bracket around the gas cap so you don't have to remove the filler neck. Just remember to put the gas cap back on after you remove the plastic bracket so you don't get crap in the tank.

ojonesjr

Boost Hungry!!!!!
Aug 30, 2005
PA
Thanks to everyone and all advice!...Turns out the PB Blaster was a charm. It did not have to hack off the line. I shot with the PB, let it sit over night and it came off with no prob!...Walbro is in! Ready for tuning!

Eriol

Mar 31, 2005
Indianapolis
ojonesjr said:
Thanks to everyone and all advice!...Turns out the PB Blaster was a charm. It did not have to hack off the line. I shot with the PB, let it sit over night and it came off with no prob!...Walbro is in! Ready for tuning!

Excellent! Glad to hear it, man.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Justin727 said:
thats good news. PB blaster is ur friend and I bet it was also easy to find. arent u glad i told u 1st before shaeff. He would have swore WD40

:wiggle: haha, good one, justin! (except for the fact that i've been using PB blaster for years!):)

-shaeff

Last edited:

7M-GTE

ROCK$T@R
Apr 2, 2005
KC
I'm doing my walbro also and I'm wondering what all has to be disconnected in order to be able to drop the tank... I've already disconnected all fuel lines that run to the front of the car... is there anything else I need to disconnect...