fuel tank removal Walbro install...

ojonesjr

Boost Hungry!!!!!
Aug 30, 2005
PA
I searched the threads for information on the easiet way to remove the fuel tank. I saw some good information, however, I have been unable to remove the fuel line. I have sprayed liquid wrench, used all of my strength but it will not come lose. It appears I will need to cut it off...Of course I am thinking fuel and sparks!...Any ideas how how to clip off the fuel line? Next question: Where can I get a fuel line to replace what I have demolished? Do I need to go to the dealer? What size do I need? 1/2, 3/8 or what? I need to get the line quickly. I am putting in my Walbro. Thanks.

Justin727

T-virus infected
PB blaster. spray some and let it sit over night.. Have u tried both sides of the fuel filter?
We just unbolted the straps.
Tank filler neck.
let the tank down with a jack making sure everything was unplugged(wires)
then took the tank and pressure washed the SOB then drained it and washed it out with gas real well and put the fp assembly back in.

ojonesjr

Boost Hungry!!!!!
Aug 30, 2005
PA
Yea, I am considering just unbolting the straps...As long as I don't pop the line. Was there enough play in the line when up removed the straps?

becauseican

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Vancouver
www.bicperformance.com
I could not for the life of me get the hard lines apart near the fuel filter. I tried everything. I ended up cutting the hard line with tin snips/ shears, if you are carefull you wont distort the roundness too much. I then bought some 5/16" fuel injection hose the expensive stuff, not you regular fuel line, its not rated for high pressure. I used a 300zx fuel filter which you can slide a rubber hose on the inlets and outlet. I slid the rubber hose over the stock hard lines labout 1-1.5" and used two hose clamps on each end to prevent it from ever comming off. Now the filters are super cheap and easy to replace.

Eriol

Mar 31, 2005
Indianapolis
I had the same problem on mine when I changed my fuel pump. 180,000 miles and many salty midwestern winters -- yay!

My advice would be to keep working at it. Lots of penetrating oil and time to soak. Try several different angles, or have a strong friend try it. If you can find some, try some Kroil on it -- it's a penetrating oil that my g/f's dad's machine shop uses, and it's some potent stuff.

I got mine loose after about 4 hours of trying it, spraying it, doing something else for a while, trying again, etc.

ojonesjr

Boost Hungry!!!!!
Aug 30, 2005
PA
What's PB?...I will look for some Kroil...Hopefully one of these shops parts stores will have some...Last thing left to do...Thanks for all the advice...

Eriol

Mar 31, 2005
Indianapolis
ojonesjr said:
What's PB?...I will look for some Kroil...Hopefully one of these shops parts stores will have some...Last thing left to do...Thanks for all the advice...

I'm not sure if you can get Kroil on the consumer level, as it's some pretty toxic stuff. Would probably have to buy it somewhere that caters to industry.

PB is another penetrating oil that is probably the best you'll find at an auto-parts store -- it's much better than WD40. (WD40 wasn't even designed to be a penetrating oil -- it was designed to repel water from the space shuttle!)

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
i soaked my fuel lines in PB blaster for 2 days, then put a little muscle into it. (i do mean a LITTLE muscle, i'm a small dude, at 130lbs) they came right off.

mine's an 86.5, that's always lived in the north east... (salty)

-shaeff

7M-GTE

ROCK$T@R
Apr 2, 2005
KC
is there some way to drain the tank before lowering it... c\ I have at least... and I mean at the very least a half tank... it could be 3/4 full...

staticpat

Supra Chair!
Mar 30, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Theres a inverted square nut (sorry don't know technical name) on the bottom of the gas tank. Just put a 3/8" socket extention in there and turn it out. Prepare to be soaked in gasoline.

My advice:Wear safety goggles when messing with the lines, I know this from experience.

7M-GTE

ROCK$T@R
Apr 2, 2005
KC
staticpat said:
Theres a inverted square nut (sorry don't know technical name) on the bottom of the gas tank. Just put a 3/8" socket extention in there and turn it out. Prepare to be soaked in gasoline.

My advice:Wear safety goggles when messing with the lines, I know this from experience.

is it under that plastic cover? and which side... I went out to take a look at it the other day but didn't see anything... maybe I just wasn't lookin hard enough...