Forged pistons for $350 new

suprapower1221

Jul 5, 2006
pa
I cant get enough hours while i go to school. This build might take awhile.
Ive been working more hours everyweek then im scheduled just to make extra cash. And now i recently found gas going into my oil. I hate blow by So now its time for a rebuild

suprapower1221

Jul 5, 2006
pa
Thanks for all the info you guys gave me. Its late and i have school tomorrow and then work. 5.5hrs of sleep should be plenty. Thanks guy, Steve

bwest

Drafting, not tailgating
May 18, 2005
HippieTown, CA
its too bad no body has ever heard of Probe(Industries). maybe some of you should read a little before bad mouthing their products. Had I known they made pistons (earlier) I would have bought a set. Still thinking about having them make some custom wrist pins...

http://probeindustries.com/index.htm

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
The Probe prices are what a set of 6 forged pistons SHOULD cost. Consider that you can get a nice set of forged pistons for a v8 for <$450, so take off 25% for a I6 set, right? Wrong, add 50% just because they can. There is no more materials or machining that goes into a Toyota piston then a Ford or Chevy piston, yet the Toyota pistons sell for a lot more. We were actually looking into using a Chevy application piston for a 1jz or 2jz, there are models that are almost an exact fit and would require very little machining to work, and if you buy three v8 piston sets you end up with one 6 cyl set for free!

Last edited:

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
He was going to buy them before he started the thread, he just wanted someone to say they are good so he felt better. :icon_wink I lol'ed how the thread was about the cheapest pistons available possibly anywhere, but we need to start a group buy to make them cheaper. hahaha

They look good to me, and the price is attractive. I didn't see anywhere on the site that said the rings and pins are included in that price though. The "chromoly pin upgrade" is something you would probably want for a turbocharged engine. They don't list the rings available, and they said "stock size ring lands", meaning you would probably need to buy a set of stock rings. They also say "TBA" for the weight so these might not be available yet.

Last edited:

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
Probe is decent company, but even if Keith Blackhawk started making pistons for the 7m, I would still wonder about them because they are un proven. And about the cost?? Yes a forged piston does only cost so much to make, but we all know that when it comes to the 7m, that any part like the pistons are made in such short production runs, that the cost goes way up. Chevy pistons are made thosands and thosands at a time. Another reason our stuff cost more is that retailers have a higher markup on minumal market item than magor market items. A set of weiscos for the 7m only cost around 490 to 500.00 with rings and pins at the wholesale level. They sell for 620 to 700.00 That is a huge markup. If I tried to sell chevy pistons with a 20 to 25% mark up, I would never sell one because a thosand other people sell them for only a 8 to 10% mark up.

suprapower1221

Jul 5, 2006
pa
bigaaron said:
He was going to buy them before he started the thread, he just wanted someone to say they are good so he felt better. :icon_wink I lol'ed how the thread was about the cheapest pistons available possibly anywhere, but we need to start a group buy to make them cheaper. hahaha

They look good to me, and the price is attractive. I didn't see anywhere on the site that said the rings and pins are included in that price though. The "chromoly pin upgrade" is something you would probably want for a turbocharged engine. They don't list the rings available, and they said "stock size ring lands", meaning you would probably need to buy a set of stock rings. They also say "TBA" for the weight so these might not be available yet.
I was reading a thread on here where some guy was interested in starting a group buy with them. It was only metioned one time but i pmed him and he said he has 10 set of pistons and 10 sets of rods and he might start a group buy. So it wasnt for my benenifit on the cost just his. I'm willing to pay 1000 for forged pistons and rods but if i can get them cheaper then thats more money to other mods.

Bigdough666

Picture Me Rollin
Apr 4, 2005
Corpus Christi, TX
I was just about to chime in and say Probe makes some good stuff for Fords and Chevys. A forged piston is a forged piston. I know there are differences in design, weight, etc, etc, but when it comes down to it, its pretty much a matter of preference. I went with Ross because they were WAY cheaper than the JE's I was considering. If I had known about Probe making 7M pistons, I would have gone with them because they are even cheaper.

oscolivar1

Supraism
Feb 8, 2006
Virginia beach
if the company has good feedback then yea someone try it, but to me its not worth it
but still i will trust the bigger names until i see these pistons be pushed to its limits.

suprapower1221

Jul 5, 2006
pa
Bigdough666 said:
I was just about to chime in and say Probe makes some good stuff for Fords and Chevys. A forged piston is a forged piston. I know there are differences in design, weight, etc, etc, but when it comes down to it, its pretty much a matter of preference. I went with Ross because they were WAY cheaper than the JE's I was considering. If I had known about Probe making 7M pistons, I would have gone with them because they are even cheaper.
Thats the way i always thought about pistons. If there forged im sure the can take a good amount of power. People are putting down 400+whp on stock 7m pistons. im sure with a good tune they will be able to hold power. I guess time will only tell though unless someone here has them all ready.

turbodhbar

Sep 9, 2006
Bainbridge, N.Y.
I don't have any experience with the 7m pistons , but have used them in chevy 350's for circle track racing. Never had 1 problem with them. they as a piston company would be very comparable to Ross ,Wiseco. Arais. If you go to www.probeindustries.com you can find out more about them.
I have also used Ross, Wiseco ,Manley and Cosworth in the past and feel Probe is just as good . I didn't know that they made 7m pistons, haven't checked theirs catalog in a couple years. That's My $.02

mattgo

Oct 15, 2006
Anacortes, WA
hmmm...since I'm taking out my engine and tranny to replace all the gaskets, I might want to add these in too. I checked out there site, just need to see if it comes with rings and such.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Sounds like somebody needs to set up a GB.. I'll be looking for a spare 7M to rebuild here in a couple weeks - I'd be down for a forged piston GB ;)