FINALLY - Especially for JMDigital - LilMissMkIII's Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

LilMissMkIII

That Aussie Chick
Aug 18, 2006
Aussie Land
Can't do loud music, as we are only able to work on the car when bubby is sleeping ;)

----------------------

AND - it's off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not too bad... Definitely don't think it would have blown if we didn't send it to the workshop... bolts were torqued down properly, and it is in pretty good shape overall (considering some of the gaskets I have seen on here!)
sm_photo_missing.jpg

p1265704_1.jpg

p1265704_2.jpg

p1265704_3.jpg

p1265704_4.jpg

p1265704_5.jpg

p1265704_6.jpg

p1265704_7.jpg

p1265704_8.jpg

p1265704_9.jpg

p1265704_10.jpg

p1265704_11.jpg

Thank God we had a TSRM handy... Made the job alot easier!!!!

Also, Sam used one of our spare 3000 pipes over his wrench extension to help break the bolts... They were bloody tight!!!

Last edited:

LilMissMkIII

That Aussie Chick
Aug 18, 2006
Aussie Land
Thanks!

Yeah, our fingers are crossed it's all ok and ready to go back together on the weekend.

(4 weeks and counting till I need it running!)

LilMissMkIII

That Aussie Chick
Aug 18, 2006
Aussie Land
we have decided to go with a stock hg for now just so we can get the car back on the road as soon as possible.

We have started scraping off the debris with a razor, and will be doing some research on here as to what else needs to be done before we put a new hg on.

I am working on two big assignments all day today, so will probably tackle it later on in the week or on Saturday. (Sunday is out as we are going to Sydney for Sam to race some V8 utes!)

enjoi.this

Formerly ChrisC
Aug 18, 2008
Kelowna, BC
LilMissMkIII;1266038 said:
we have decided to go with a stock hg for now just so we can get the car back on the road as soon as possible.

We have started scraping off the debris with a razor, and will be doing some research on here as to what else needs to be done before we put a new hg on.

I am working on two big assignments all day today, so will probably tackle it later on in the week or on Saturday. (Sunday is out as we are going to Sydney for Sam to race some V8 utes!)

Nice 3.0GT you got there. Good idea on just doin the stocker hg without doin the prep for a MHG. If your not gettin the head milled before you slap the head back on, take a straight edge and feeler gauges to the milled surface and make sure its flat. It looks like you dont need anymore head aches :aigo:

LilMissMkIII

That Aussie Chick
Aug 18, 2006
Aussie Land
Thanks mate! :)

Will be getting the head checked and tested regardless of which hg goes on.

Stocker hg is just a quick-fix solution, as we will be tearing it all down again in the next few months - this is when the mhg will be going on.

We just desperately need it running right so we can get it registered and back on the road.

enjoi.this

Formerly ChrisC
Aug 18, 2008
Kelowna, BC
LilMissMkIII;1267009 said:
Thanks mate! :)

Will be getting the head checked and tested regardless of which hg goes on.

Stocker hg is just a quick-fix solution, as we will be tearing it all down again in the next few months - this is when the mhg will be going on.

We just desperately need it running right so we can get it registered and back on the road.

Getter done, and goodluck! :icon_razz

crisp

existentialincrementalist
May 25, 2007
Ohio
Kay, I can't remember if you had your ARP stud kit yet? Hope you are getting one... for sure when you do the mhg. If NOT, be SURE to THOROUGHLY clean those block threads out, chase them gently... (even if you have to use the CLEANED bolts to do it) and use proper lubrication and torque carefully when you put it back together. The STUD w/NUT is SUCH a better designed fastener joint than the TWISTED BOLT that also has to carry the tension of preload.:cry:

...truly, one of the fundamental design "flaws" that promotes the failures of so many of these 7M's...

Anybody local have those ARP's you can throw in now?

PS: I also spent a lot of time with a wire wheel (small Dremel tool) and cleaned the head and pistons with a shop-vac running constant to pull up the dust...)

G/L!

-crisp

crisp

May 25, 2007
Ohio
PS: Don't forget to fully FLUSH the oil before you even turn it over when it's back together! That AntiFreeze is definitely bad news when it runs with the oil... like liquid sandpaper to your bottom end.:cry:

-crisp

LilMissMkIII

That Aussie Chick
Aug 18, 2006
Aussie Land
Thanks for the tips mate! We will try and tackle it this weekend.

I have sourced some arps, so am fine on that regard.

I have been doing some research and compiling a list of all the tips & tricks from all the numerous hg swap threads on here so we can make sure we do this stock hg properly as the car will (hopefully) be coming to Dubbo for Toyota Nationals and will be given hell on the motorkhana (autocross for you US folk) :D

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
As per the MSN convo earlier, the best thing i've found to use for cleaning up the gunk, carbon and especially varnish on cylinder heads, is Mr Muscle Oven Cleaner.

Not sure if its the same all over the world, but ours doesn't have caustic soda in - and is in fact just a blend of petroleum byproducts and anionic surfactants & enzymes.

Shake can, spray on, leave it for 30 mins, then scrub it with a toothbrush before rinsing it off with petrol. You may need a few passes at this, but, its surprisingly fast acting and you can spray it on a surface, and start scrubbing seconds later, and the stuff just comes off.

For the really grimey stuff, ie, the inside 'wall' of the cylinder head & definitely the outside, i've discovered that a wet toothbrush, dipped in washing powder (the stuff for clothes) works wonders. Scrub away to your hearts content, just make damn sure you dont get any on the bearing surfaces, and don't leave it to sit - rinse it off straight away.

For steel/plastic parts (cam covers spring to mind) - Soak them in petrol, or xylene based cellulose thinners, give them a light scrub.....then bung them in a dishwasher. Srsly. It brought my timing cover up a treat, and removed 95% of all the gunk that had built up.

I'm sure IJ will chime in for any other handy hints :)

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
I defer to you on this one Kai :)

Most of my stuff is new or has been cleaned at the machine shop, it's been a long time since I've had to remove carbon and gunk.

I'll keep the oven cleaner thing in mind.

crisp

May 25, 2007
Ohio
LilMissMkIII;1267434 said:
I really appreciate you writing those tips up in here for me Kai! :)

We ALL appreciate such tips in the open eye of the forum! (Especially FAVORITE threads like Kristel's!)

Good stuff!:icon_bigg

-crisp

Status
Not open for further replies.