A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
black89t;1368123 said:
mine must be magic or something....:dunno::biglaugh:

The one in my 91 supra ran for over 3k miles, I guess mine too

bluepearl;1368425 said:
To the best of my memory John Lunsford was running 18 lbs. of boost with a CT26 60 trim, LEX afm and 440 injectors without any type of fuel control.

I'm just want to increase the diameter of the piping so that air can get in and out easier, turn up the boost, and get it tuned. No fuel upgrades.

Kckazdude;1367854 said:
If you are planning on running anything over stock boost I recommend using a MHG with proper block and head surface prep. Its a PITA job enough to do it once. The second time doing it is just a kick in the nuts for not doing it right. Then again, there are a few people that are doing some nice HP out there with a composite gasket. Then again they did the proper surface prep and proper tuning to get there.

When I googled info on supras and bhg's a long time ago to learn about it, a lot of pages promised that simply replacing the hg, resurfacing the head, and torquing it down wouldn't give you problems again. Also, the hg's seem to last ~80k miles (84k til hg blow on the 91, 89k on the 90 and still sealing...kinda) without the additional torque, so I figure that 11-12 psi would last a few years. But if the risk increases exponentially with increased boost, I'd like to know what those who are running composites did to get around this.

Zumtizzle;1367895 said:
Okay okay,

Fail Pro is crap.
Only go with stone, ishino, or toyota.

bulge1.jpg

The following pictures are of a Felpro installed about 800 miles ago. I installed it with ARP pro bolts and torqued to 80 ft/lbs. with ARP moly lube. Obviously, Felpro stock type gaskets just don't hold up. It should be noted that there were absolutely none of the usual signs of detonation.**

MHG isn't needed. Ask if he sells Beck-Arnely

Citation: **John B. Lunsford.
Kckazdude;1367178 said:
I dont know what parts store he works at but they are full of shit. Rock and Ishino are both cheaper imported gaskets that are not close to the same quality as a Fel Pro or Victor Reinz.

so who's right?

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
I'll look into the pricing on the oem kit, but it could be a while until I get it because I just found out that my head needs a rebuild, but that's another story. Anyways thanks guys

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
Zumtizzle;1367895 said:
Okay okay,

Fail Pro is crap.
Only go with stone, ishino, or toyota.

bulge1.jpg

The following pictures are of a Felpro installed about 800 miles ago. I installed it with ARP pro bolts and torqued to 80 ft/lbs. with ARP moly lube. Obviously, Felpro stock type gaskets just don't hold up. It should be noted that there were absolutely none of the usual signs of detonation.**

MHG isn't needed. Ask if he sells Beck-Arnely

Citation: **John B. Lunsford.

A felpro works fine for 350 hp and under. That deformation is caused by exceeding a composite gaskets cylinder pressure holding capacity.

I call that "pushing" a gasket. When you push out a gasket, you overcame its ability to hold the pressure in the combustion chamber. Be it from detonation, too much boost, or too much nitrous, or a combination of all three.

You won't see obvious signs of detonation on a "pushed" gasket motor's pistons because the gasket has already absorbed the punishment. I got a bunch of composite gaskets hanging on a wall that all look like that from over powering the setup.

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
mkIIIman089;1369868 said:
~$260 from Champion.

Thanks, that doesn't sound bad at all

SupraDupra907;1369927 said:
HKS metal head gasket for sure. Get the head plained, get some arp bolts, or studs. That is my input.

Getting a mhg is not an option for me, I'm not going to take the block out of the car. I'll turn the boost down before doing that. It's just that I've been waiting too long to drive a supra and I want it back on the road as soon as possible.

suprarich;1370647 said:
A felpro works fine for 350 hp and under. That deformation is caused by exceeding a composite gaskets cylinder pressure holding capacity.

I call that "pushing" a gasket. When you push out a gasket, you overcame its ability to hold the pressure in the combustion chamber. Be it from detonation, too much boost, or too much nitrous, or a combination of all three.

You won't see obvious signs of detonation on a "pushed" gasket motor's pistons because the gasket has already absorbed the punishment. I got a bunch of composite gaskets hanging on a wall that all look like that from over powering the setup.

350 at the wheels or crank? Can you translate that to psi perhaps:icon_bigg?

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
livinasask8er;1373470 said:
350 at the wheels or crank? Can you translate that to psi perhaps:icon_bigg?

I would say crank, and I can not relate that to psi as psi is not 100% spot on with your HP level. PSI and HP do not equal each other.

20 psi on a high flow head with a gt45 turbo is one HP level and 20 psi on a stock head with an upgraded ct is another. If you have anything more than a stock CT, then expect a composite head gasket to blow out someday.