Exhaust System Question

kingfisher

May 13, 2009
St. Petersburg, FL
It really doesn't have anything to do with looks to be honest, were trying to be on the cheap :icon_sad:

There's a turbo version and N/A version of that Catback, that's why I was wondering if a N/A Catback would fit on a car that was originally turbo.

Spooner

Sep 25, 2009
Solana Beach, CA
You do not want to use an NA exhaust on a turbo car. The minimum piping diameter you want to go with for a Supra turbo is 3".

You don't have to settle for an NA exhaust just because you want to stay in the $500 range. I would also not consider a 1JZ project to be "cheap" by any means. If you want cheap, I'm afraid to tell you that you're asking for problems.

I'd suggest you take your time and save for good quality parts rather than jumping in and attempting to slip by with cheap parts.

kingfisher

May 13, 2009
St. Petersburg, FL
I was figuring a 3" N/A exhaust would be better than a system built by my local repair shop. Were already over our heads in this car, I need an exhaust guy. I'm just wondering, will it fit.

jmcboost

Mar 31, 2005
Missouri
Yes, it sounds good to me. It for sure performs better then the stock exhaust. I used 3" mandrel bent pieces on all of it and a 3" muffler.

Spooner

Sep 25, 2009
Solana Beach, CA
kingfisher;1421410 said:
Were already over our heads in this car...
I hope you're asking a lot of questions elsewhere in this forum or to others that know Supras. I can guarantee that you'll be sorry in the long run by what you're saying now if you continue on the path you're taking. Please take a step back and learn how to proceed logically.

I'm not trying to embarass or belittle you. I just don't want you to run into big problems down the road.

-Craig

kingfisher

May 13, 2009
St. Petersburg, FL
Spooner;1422302 said:
I hope you're asking a lot of questions elsewhere in this forum or to others that know Supras. I can guarantee that you'll be sorry in the long run by what you're saying now if you continue on the path you're taking. Please take a step back and learn how to proceed logically.

I'm not trying to embarass or belittle you. I just don't want you to run into big problems down the road.

-Craig

You've done all the above Mr. Craig. I'm not doing the swap, a custom shop is, I only asked if a simple exhaust system would even fit on my car, not it would be the "logical" choice, but thanks JMCboost, I have a Apexi muffler laying around someone, I'll just use that on a custom build.

Wills7MGTE

( . )( . )'s RULE!!!!
May 12, 2006
Jackson, MO
www.myspace.com
Do it once and Do it right, if you lack the funds then wait till you can buy what you actually need.

I know JMCBOOST personally and have riden in his 2JZ NA-T swapped MK3, his exhaust sounds good and performs much better than the stock turbo exhaust on the car so yes a DIY setup like what Jesse has done will be much better than a stock turbo exhaust system and a LOT better than that NA setup you're looking at.

Just a friendly FYI, Spooner is absolutely right, MK3's are not cheap cars (repairs, maintenance, mods, it all adds up). If you want cheap power buy a fox body stang or something, if you want a nice performing modified MK3, especially one with a JZ either build it correctly or purchase one from someone whose already built it correctly.

If you choose to ghetto engineer the setup it will perform poorly and break often if you even make it run to begin with.

Good Luck and choose wisely

Spooner

Sep 25, 2009
Solana Beach, CA
kingfisher;1422708 said:
You've done all the above Mr. Craig.
I've made mistakes in the past and the learning process was not an enjoyable one. Having learned these lessons, I wish to help others avoid doing so the hard way, if at all possible.

If you've taken this at all as a personal attack, I will not apologize, because it was nothing of the sort.

You're welcome for the help.