emissions please explain

rs4_supra

Sep 4, 2006
Wa
so will a stock ijz with stock 7mgte exaust pass emissions i dont know to much about that so somewon please help and explain if it does pass or what you have to do to make it pass and legal!

thanks _cory

LexusTech117

Sep 4, 2005
Pullman Washington
geocities.com
The place I go to in Redmond Washington doesn't even pop the hood on the car. As long as you pass the 5 gas emission test your free to go. Basically, they test your gas cap to make sure no gas fumes are getting by it (evaporative emissions, unburned fuel basically) and then they stick the sniffer in the tail pipe for the 5 gas. You get on the rollers and have you drive at like 25 MPH and also have you sit at idle for a bit.

Hope that helped,

-Dave

BigPants

Apr 12, 2006
Tucson, AZ
has anybody passed the visual inspection? i need to got get emissons done pretty soon and i was wondering the same question.

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
get a waiver from a "trusted" shop that sais that the cost to repair emissions is too high, i think over 600 or so (at least in CT its like that)

TurboFreak

NOBAMA
Jan 22, 2006
East Coast
foreverpsycotic said:
get a waiver from a "trusted" shop that sais that the cost to repair emissions is too high, i think over 600 or so (at least in CT its like that)
But he hasn't done $600 in repairs...:naughty:
I'm in the sorta the same predicament. My car failed emissions by haveing 5 times the amount of hydrocarbons it should. I came home hooked up the EGR wich the previous owner apprently unhooked and replaced a few vacumm hoses. Dont know if that fixed, I'm sure it helped bu probably not all the way. But Appernelty in MD if you get your car lowered and they can't get it on the rollers than they give you a 2 year exemption? I'll probably try that and then eventually get it fixed by a shop.

Slam your car!:evil2:

koulee

Oct 11, 2005
You assholes! Damn you for not living in California! Damn you all!

Oh, good luck getting a 1jz to pass in California. Almost any other state will pass. But not here :(.

xarewhyayen

276 whp - 324 tq @ 13psi
Oct 3, 2005
Philly
The only emissions problem i could imagine you would have is Nox emissions. Being im sure theres no EGR to reduce nox, the numbers will be a lil high. If the car isnt put under too much load, and its not running too close to stoich (14.7 AFR) it probably shouldnt produce alot of Nox(oxides of nitrogen produced when combustion reaches 2500 degrees fahrenheit)

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
xarewhyayen said:
The only emissions problem i could imagine you would have is Nox emissions. Being im sure theres no EGR to reduce nox, the numbers will be a lil high. If the car isnt put under too much load, and its not running too close to stoich (14.7 AFR) it probably shouldnt produce alot of Nox(oxides of nitrogen produced when combustion reaches 2500 degrees fahrenheit)

FWIW my 7m with no EGR had NOX levels well below the limit.

xarewhyayen

276 whp - 324 tq @ 13psi
Oct 3, 2005
Philly
not sure exactly what FWIW is, but i didnt mean that you definately will, i just mean thats the only problem that might arise. And its a good possibility that the car wasnt loaded enough to produce high nox levels and the car may not have been hot enough yet. now again, im not giving definates lagged, just offering possible reasoning... if you dont produce nox, good shit, but its basically a law that @ 2500 degrees fahrenheit, nox emissions are produced. If it so happens you are running rich enough to cool the combustion temps, not under enough load during the test, or your engine isnt up to operating temp, then you will not have alot of nox. Nox numbers below 1000 are good. Also, a three way catalytic converter adds rhodium to reduce Nox, but im pretty sure ours are just 2way.

lagged said:
FWIW my 7m with no EGR had NOX levels well below the limit.

becauseican

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Vancouver
www.bicperformance.com
LOL, I just passed emmissions testing with a single stock cat, twin gt28R turbo's, 750cc injectors, and an Emanage ecu. There was no visual insepction though, but 500 hp and passes emmissions is pretty good.

xarewhyayen

276 whp - 324 tq @ 13psi
Oct 3, 2005
Philly
Wills7MGTE said:
just make a set of 3 cats welded together and bolt them in for emissions tests. Or slip the guy some dough, or ummmmmmmmm steal a sticker

If you meant 3 cats makes it a 3way, youre sadly, yet humorously mistaken. 3 way means it has 3 different materials in it that react with the gasses to reduce harmful emissions... if your sole purpose was comedy, well done.. and as far as passing emissions with 500 hp, i dont see why that wouldnt be possible for anyone with proper tuning, but good job.