Electric fans problem

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I was fixing to look on ebay or somewhere for some electric fans. My waterpump just went out today and I have to go with an electric fan setup so I can use the 2jz waterpump. The 1jz waterpump cost $800.00..............:aigo:

I was going to post and see what type of fans everyone was using.

turbogate

Life is Boost
May 18, 2005
South, FL
was it working fine, and not working anymore? or did you just install them recently and have not been able to make it work yet? let me know as I installed that set-up 2 weeks ago.

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
They had been working fine till today. The previous owner installed it.

I kinda forgot to put my oil filler cap back on after added oil earlier this week. I'm not sure if that would be related though...

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
So my fans came on this morning for a little bit, and hence I didn't take my car into the shop. However once the car was warmed up the fans didn't kick back in... The water temperature was about 105 degrees Celcius when I got home and shut off the engine.

So obviously the fans themselves are fine, they just aren't being told when to turn on. Maybe I need to re-program the SPAL controller?

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Sounds like you either messed up programming the controller, or fried it running too much current with multiple flex-a-lites.

turbogate

Life is Boost
May 18, 2005
South, FL
How did they set it up? The Spal controller should only control on fan with the variable speed, and the second fans while also controlled by the spal controller is on/off only, so it needs its own relay. Just making sure the previous owner did'nt the spal controller to control both fans with variable control. Besides that, the controller might have lost its settings.

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com

turbogate

Life is Boost
May 18, 2005
South, FL
I think its very important that the spal only controls one fans(variable) and the other fan with just an on/off switch. There should be a relay for the second fan. The Spal should only switches the second fan on when it reaches the high setting, thus full blast only for the second fan. If the previous owner connected both fans to the spal's variable output, the fans may be overloading the controller. From the spal specs, the controller is good for about 30amps, and it seems that the FAL duals draw more than that, which why they recommend a relay for the second one. follow the wiring of both fans to see where they lead. One of them should take you to an external relay. Let us know

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Looking at those pics (that basically say nothing important BTW) I would also be curious as to whether or not the controller is being over heated. It already obviously builds a lot of its own heat if there is a necessity to have a heat sink like that. Mounting it in the flow of very hot air probably was not the best idea.

This of course is on top of the fact that multiple fans are plugged straight into it.

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
The fans had been working fine since February when I got the car. Even in 100+ degree weather. It was low 80's out when they stopped working.

I got some more time today to look at them. The controller is definitely going directly to both fans. There is no relay for the second fan. The SPAL manual says the relay is optional (if I'm reading it right).

I've started the reprogramming process, now I'm just waiting for the car to cool down so I can test it. I'm going to check if it has cooled down enough in about 15 minutes.

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Probably overloading and overheating it has something to do with it, LOL. And I quote:

"A dual fan set-up requires a Fan Relay Harness (SPAL part number FRH) to power the secondary fan."

"Mount the Fan Controller away from high heat sources"

turbogate

Life is Boost
May 18, 2005
South, FL
mkIIIman089 said:
Probably overloading and overheating it has something to do with it, LOL. And I quote:

"A dual fan set-up requires a Fan Relay Harness (SPAL part number FRH) to power the secondary fan."

"Mount the Fan Controller away from high heat sources"

Definitly, I would re-wire it, what Mkiiiman quoted is directly from the manual. Of course, you dont need their "FRH" any 30amp relay will do the trick. it will prolong your spal's life

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
So where would I get a relay? Any auto parts store?

Also, I have practically no electrical tools except for a wire stripper. Is there anything else I need? Will I need any other electrical components (wire, connectors, etc.)?

Thanks for the help guys. :)

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
So they cut out again.... This time I reprogrammed it and only plugged one fan back in (I haven't installed a relay yet). It worked for a while and just today even that failed. So there's another problem besides just needing a relay... :(

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
I don't need a controller that's going to do a low/high speed thing on one fan. I'd rather just have off and high for both fans (and I'd rather not have to spend $60...). What do I need to get to do that?