Dual stage single turbo

sk6471

Quietly Lurking
May 28, 2005
Texas
A few months ago, I was searching the web for information about variable vane turbines and I ran across a web site selling a kit to make Holset turbos on Cummins diesels spool faster. What they were selling was a spacer between the turbo and the manifold that would block one side of a twin scoll housing and force all of the exhaust through the other side. That would effectivly halve the A/R for faster spool up. Then it would open up and let the exhaust flow through both sides like normal. I don't know if they set it to open based on load, RPM, boost level, or all of the above. It looked a lot more durable than the traditional variable A/R turbine housing and since it wasn't part of the turbo looked like it could retrofit any twin scroll turbo. BTW, this isn't related to the actual Holset variable turbine turbos. I was going to research if such a set up could be used on a gasoline motor. My problem is that I can't find the website that sells them any more. Has anyone else seen anything like this?

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
i know what you are talking about. i thought they were for T6 flanges tho. i have seen where people permanently block off one side.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
honda's design is far more simple and almost as effective...

the exhaust housing closes up into a smaller AR, then with a wastegate style acctuator, opens up to a larger AR...

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I've always wondered why companies didn't try blocking half the twin-scroll for faster spool-up before. If you ever find the link to the company selling those for T4 flanges, I might just try it.

89turbosupra

Jun 10, 2006
oxnard
Thats the same style turbo they use on the powerstroke 6.0. I was playing around with how to make them work on a gas engine but I cant find a test subject.

tte

Breaking In - in progress
Mar 30, 2005
Northern California
Back at university I wanted to design my own variable vane turbo.
I drew it all up and put it in cad...
But when I found out that the materials used were a special alloy and would cost alot of money. I stopped thinking because I could not afford to throw my money at my projects.

I had another better idea to achieve the variable A/R . I still remember it...
Might try it one day.

Cheers,
Roy

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
betcha it's the same as Honda's...

can't find pics of their setup they're using on their turbocharged SUV though, I saw it in a magazine with pics...

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
89turbosupra said:
Thats the same style turbo they use on the powerstroke 6.0. I was playing around with how to make them work on a gas engine but I cant find a test subject.
Yeah, a lot of diesels use variable vane turbos. They don't work well on gas motors because the EGTs are too high for the materials used. The only company taking the plunge with exotic materials would be porsche :)

Force Fed

Jun 12, 2007
Campobello, SC
annoyingrob said:
Yeah, a lot of diesels use variable vane turbos. They don't work well on gas motors because the EGTs are too high for the materials used. The only company taking the plunge with exotic materials would be porsche :)

Chrysler had them in the early 90's ;) Came on Shelby CSX-VNT's and Shelby Daytonas. They were called VNT (Variable Nozzle Turbine) turbos.

89turbosupra

Jun 10, 2006
oxnard
annoyingrob said:
I beg to differ. I work at a ford dealership and I see a lot of the banks and other performance parts on them with egt gauges. They will easily peg out a 1600* gauge. Diesels make a lot of heat from there exhaust. The 6.4 makes so much heat it can burn off paint and shoot 10 ft flames when in regenerative mode.

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
did you guys go off topic or miss the original intent of the thread?

he was talking about a spacer that goes between the turbo and the manifold that blocks 1/2 of the turbine inlet to increase spool.