Dual stage single turbo

sk6471

Quietly Lurking
May 28, 2005
Texas
That Porsche vid was off topic, but it's very nice.:icon_bigg Too bad for Porsche, a new Z06 will still kill it for half the money.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Ok, just throwing some general information out -

VNT (Variable nozzle turbo) uses vanes to re-direct the exhaust flow over the exhaust turbine, to change the velocity of the exhaust flow.

Putting a flange that block half the turbo (even if only temporarily) would seriously increase the backpressure in the exhaust manifold (and behind the exhaust valve)

Further, I do not question that the velocity of the exhaust THROUGH the flange would increase, but I wonder how effective this would actually be? Yes, you'd have a higher velocity of air, but you'd have 1/2 the mass of air working for you.

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
doward- sure it would increase the back pressure. but usually this is meant for large housings. it blocks half to increase spool, then in higher rpm it will open for full flow. marshall did this on his 1.15 housing, except he didnt have the fancy gate so to speak. he just blocked his off w/ a plate. he said it worked quite well. i would just get the housing i needed. but, for the variable one it would be kinda cool. you could set it up on a hobbs switch to open at a particular boost level for full flow. how it would perform or what the benefits would be over the approriate size housing, i dunno.