differential ratio's

7MGTEsup

Formerly 'Down but not out'
Jun 14, 2005
England
ZoomZoomZoom;959339 said:
Is there such a thing as an accurate speedometer on a Supra? :)

My speedo is only 4mph out at 100mph, but I recalibrated it by pulling the needle off and rotating it a bit counter clockwise. Its dead on up to 50mph but then starts to go out after that. 70mph speedo is 68mph gps so its pretty good.

ZoomZoomZoom

On the road again..
Dec 9, 2007
KY
IJ.;959347 said:
ZZZ: Even if you have it calibrated it'll only be accurate at that speed, the odometer should be accurate no matter what as it has a mechanical link to the cable the speedo doesn't.

Good to know !

Down but not out;959897 said:
My speedo is only 4mph out at 100mph, but I recalibrated it by pulling the needle off and rotating it a bit counter clockwise. Its dead on up to 50mph but then starts to go out after that. 70mph speedo is 68mph gps so its pretty good.

I know my speedo is off by how fast the trees go by. I need a more scientific method, haha. I will have to get my car out on the road and compare its speedo to another car. It may be off by a fixed amount, but it doesn't seem like it, according to the trees. If it is a fixed amount, then the recalibration trick will work. Maybe I'll do it regardless for 65 mph so I don't have to do math while driving :)

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
The axle code in a MA70 will be Gxx4 or Gxx5.

The xx determines the axle ratio. This will be, as I recall, 28, 30, or 31, which is (By memory, I may be wrong) 4.300:1, 3.727:1 and 3.909:1 respectively. My car's axle code is G285, and it came with a 4.300:1 limited slip.

The G indicates an 8" ring gear.

The last digit of "4" indicates that it's a 4 pinion open differential, or a "5" indicates a 4 pinion limited slip. (2 and 3 are open and limited slip for a 2 pinion differential.)