Dielectric Grease

Obsessionw/Boost

Sep 28, 2006
Albany, NY
I went to Advance looking for Anti-Sieze grease. I didn't want those small packets thought. I asked for a tube. They gave me Dielectric grease. Would it be ok to use Dielectric grease on my exhaust manifold studs? I just helicoiled a stud and I'm putting it back together now. Just wondering if I can use this stuff as an anti-sieze. It says it's for use with electrical components but would it would for an exhaust stud?

-Ryan

Last edited:

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
It comes in a little plastic jar with a brush cap.

IDK how much the packets cost, but the jar will last you pretty much forever.

SMP142

BOHICA
Jan 5, 2006
Tacoma, WA.
if you go to NAPA you can get a whole container/jar of it for like $8. stuff will seriously last you a lifetime. i use it on everything.

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
^I actually would up losing mine somewhere while moving before it was even close to empty. I think the lid would rust to nothing before the container would be empty, and I too like to use it on nearly everything thats exposed to the elements/dissimilar metals.

suprageezer

Aug 27, 2005
Southern California
Here's some typical Anti-Seize Specs, so you can see Nickel is the way to go with anything exhaust. I use it on everything, that way nuts and bolts always come loose next time I work on them. It's very rare a nut, bolt or screw should go on dry. One cool thing I discovered on a build was I bought these expensive stock mopar cast iron manifold's and I wanted them to have a dull gray color so I coated the entire manifold surface, except the gasket face with Nickel Anti-Seize, once the oils burned off they kept the dull gray color for years and never rusted.

Copper Anti-Seize
Service rating: -65° F (-54° C) to 1800° F (982° C);

Nickel Anti-Seize
Service rating: -65° F (-54° C) to 2600° F (1427° C)

Apr 1, 2005
WA
mkIIIman089 said:
... I think the lid would rust to nothing before the container would be empty, ...

lol. i read this and pictured the lid rusting to the can itself. oh the irony, the can of anti-sieze with a lid that is itself, siezed.:biglaugh:

Skam9685

1992 Honda Prelude SI
Jun 22, 2007
Oldsmar, Florida, United States
Not to jack up anyones thread....but someone said I can use dielectric grease to lubricate the fuel injector o rings before installation and that it was better than fuel or vaseline......is that true?

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Gasoline (petroleum) and Vaseline (petroleum jelly) will both definitely be compatible with something that spends its entire lift spraying gasoline. Why would you use something unknown?

suprageezer

Aug 27, 2005
Southern California
For Oring lube it depends on the material, if they are buna rubber Parker Oring lube is the way to go, vaseline will just help them dry out and crack faster, but if you replace the cheap buna rings with Viton, and use Parker oring lube your set for a very long time. Same as if you can ever replace buna rubber hose's with viton, thats the way to go.

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
Poodles said:
anyone else see the irony in this comment? :biglaugh:

injector o-rings....use gas like it says too...

I was wondering when someone would say it (both points)...I would have, but I'm too unpopular already, and God knows I want to be popular (not really).

Halsupramk3

Apr 4, 2005
Mississippi
the dialetic grease is good for sealing up harness connectors ( dont put a bunch in the pins holes but around the seal). i also use a coating on the spark plug tip before putting on the plug wire. that helps to keep the plug from corroding up in the plug wire. if you wash off your engine or get water in the plug wire boot it wont corrode. i pulled the clip out of a wire that was corroded onto the top of the plug and had to buy a new plug wire set.

zachm611

Beauty In Disguise
Apr 15, 2006
new mexico
i see the irony in Ckandersons post. i went to checker auto for some vacuum line i had it in my hand. it went like this

clerk: can i help you?
me: i need some vacuum line..*hands her the line i had*
clerk: ok what type of vehicle
me: 87 toyota supra....turbo
clerk: alright and were does this piece go...
me: uhmm im pretty sure you can just cut me a foot of this size from that spool over there...
clerk: oh ok come on over and we'll match it up.
me: ok thanks sounds great
clerk: im sorry none of us really know anything about cars when we first start.
me: oh no its cool...."thinks to self...thats really not something you should admit when working at a parts store"