Cut Springs?

Wiisass

Supramania Contributor
I knew people were cheap, but this is really cheap.

You can cut springs and get away with it if you know what you're doing. Cutting off an active coil will raise the rate of the spring. So if you put some thought into and figure out what rates you will get by cutting what amount of spring off and make sure that the spring will stay seated, it's not totally horrible.

Heating your springs to lower the car is very stupid. You're putting a lot of heat into something that was already heat treated so it would behave properly. Expect problems in the long run even if it works alright for a little bit.

But I really still can't understand why people still do this and think it's a good idea.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
Wiisass said:
So if you put some thought into and figure out what rates you will get by cutting what amount of spring off and make sure that the spring will stay seated, it's not totally horrible.

hahahaha........Thought?

Wiisass said:
I knew people were cheap, but this is really cheap.

I posted this because I did not know if there was anything i could do to temporarily patch it. I would never have done it myself.

Wiisass

Supramania Contributor
Well really your best bet is stock springs or some random lowering springs. I would go with stock.

You could try spring rubbers, they'll go between the coils and they might help raise it up a little, they might not. I've never used them and I'm not sure how much they compress. Circle track places should have them.

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
Don't think I'm keeping this heated springs forever or anything. As I said, I did not do it, some previous owner did. I do plan on lowering the car properly when I have the money. Coilovers for the front, ST lowering springs in the rear... someday

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
btw...most of the aftermarket springs are cheap quality and suck. :3d_frown: Eibachs are ok but I wouldn't call 'em great.

Coilovers are the answer if only you could get them dialed in, it's hard to get them adjusted just right.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
I had a set of ST springs in Lucy when I sold her, but a problem arose when I tried to ship the car. It sat lower than 4 inches to the lowest point on the car. I bought some spring spacers (the rubber kind) and by using 2 pairs per spring I got the ride height up enough for it to go on the truck. It felt wierd driving it that high but behaved normally. Short of just putting stock springs back in you could give the spacers a try.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
IJ. said:
I see everything ;) <Sgt Shultz voice>
7708_113797605293.jpg

I love Hogans Heroes....................Scott, I have a set of stock springs and of course they're yours free of charge, and you can tell everyone that they came off of my car and you'd be surprised how much talent you'd get................OH that's right, you're married. I can't help you then............:biglaugh:

da89soup said:
Scotty PM sent!!!!

Guys I got this, my car is all apart so I can take pictures of what he needs to do really quick to help him out.

Here he comes to save the day......Mighty Gay Blue supra is on his way...........:biglaugh:

da89soup

World I Am Gay Blue!!!
Dec 2, 2005
Fargo ND
^^^^Mocking my gay blueness is not so nice Jay!!! And I already offered him my stock springs. I told him I would pay for shipping and give him $100 if he takes them. I figure paying someone off is the only way to get rid of stock springs!!!:biglaugh: Now if I could just pay someone to take the GE that came out of my car.:icon_wink

Seriously I PM'd him and took a bunch of pictures for Scott tonight. His cut spring days are going to be behind him soon!!!

Last edited:

MK3.0dudeman

brian L.
Mar 12, 2007
North Jersey
I have stock springs sitting in a eibach spring box ready to ship out you give me 20$ plus shipping there yours or if you have a hard pipe from the 3000 pipe to the next pipe with some cuplers I'll do a even trade.pm me if you want them