Cut Springs?

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
I have heated springs, not cut and they're not as bad as one would think. I love the way my car sits and it rides just fine. Don't have any idea on cut springs tho

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
I see everything ;) <Sgt Shultz voice>
7708_113797605293.jpg

thechori

supra-deprived
Oct 3, 2006
houston
so i'm guessing cutting your springs = totally boo boo

i really wanted to just cut them and get the car lowered for next to nothing, but now i'm skeptical from reading all that information

tanya mentioned that she heated her springs and it lowered the car. do you literally heat the springs and the like compress them to make them small or something? ahHhHhhHhh

fiyota

I ♥ Boost
May 3, 2006
Kelowna, BC
I've got cut springs on my supra right now... and what I did was weld a colar around the top hat to keep the spring from slipping out... Holds it in place, no danger of anything coming loose = safe...

The ride is considerably stiffer than before, not bouncy at all (cut, and liquid cooled while cutting not to add any heat to the spring).... and she sits a lot lower... I'm really happy I did cut them.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
fiyota said:
I've got cut springs on my supra right now... and what I did was weld a colar around the top hat to keep the spring from slipping out... Holds it in place, no danger of anything coming loose = safe...

The ride is considerably stiffer than before, not bouncy at all (cut, and liquid cooled while cutting not to add any heat to the spring).... and she sits a lot lower... I'm really happy I did cut them.
You need to drive something with properly sorted matched suspension so you can see the difference ;)

fiyota

I ♥ Boost
May 3, 2006
Kelowna, BC
haha, yes I know i wasn't comparing it to a proper suspension.. I was comparing it to my crappy 19yr old stock suspension :)

Proper suspension is waay better than cut springs... but as far as a free uprgade over stock... I'll take it!

It's like the SOGI modded shifter... I'll take it over stock, but is it as good as a proper short shifter? No

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
thechori said:
tanya mentioned that she heated her springs and it lowered the car. do you literally heat the springs and the like compress them to make them small or something? ahHhHhhHhh

::I:: did not heat my springs, they were like that when I got the car.

fiyota

I ♥ Boost
May 3, 2006
Kelowna, BC
heating springs, not so good, cutting them making them stiffer by removing coils, nice stiff, lower ride... as long as you don't mess with how the spring functions.

willfish

been here since 2003
Apr 23, 2005
Pittsburgh, Pa.
Big Wang Bandit said:
I'm cuttin the springs on my cadillac on saturday :dunno:

like joe said,, pretty ghetto,, an IJ,, aint going to be properly balanced...

your ride mite be leaning more to one side an shit..:biglaugh:

Will

da89soup

World I Am Gay Blue!!!
Dec 2, 2005
Fargo ND
Scotty PM sent!!!!

Guys I got this, my car is all apart so I can take pictures of what he needs to do really quick to help him out.

Big Wang Bandit

You Can't Quit Me Baby
Feb 21, 2006
San Ramon, CA - 925!
Yeah, I'm utting them with some guys in this car club, The guy whos gonna be helping me said he could do it in a white suit hahaha.

Gotta remember, cutting springs in a 42 year old american car is way different than cutting the springs in a 20 year old Japanese sports car, They acchive the same effect, but its tooootaly different,.