Cut Springs?

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
p825818_1.jpg

I bought this car as a parted out shell. As it nears completion, I realize that it is on cut springs. I love the way the car sits, but have yet to ride in it. And, quite frankly am scared I won't even be able to get the exhaust out of my driveway.

Coilovers are in the cars future. But, my question is.....Is there any way I can safely add a couple of inches od height back until then? My question is pertaining to the current springs. I don't yet want to buy anything else.

BorHor

2JZ-GZE
Jan 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
I have free stock springs if you want.. but you need to pay for shipping haha. I am sure you an find some one local.

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
ForcedTorque said:
I am a Christian man..............Stock is of the Devil
Well, you want to raise the ride height a couple inches and you want to spend little to no money.

How else are you going to do it other than putting stock springs back in?

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
Here's the thing....I'm not at all knowlegeable on suspension. I thought there might be some sort of "riser thingy ma jiggers". And, once I have what ever I need, I'd need some good advise on how to use it.

I do have some stock springs on a parts car in the yard. But, again, I'd need coaching on how to remove them, and swap them into the car. Paying shipping on a set rather than pulling one is tempting. hahahah I know, I'm a dumb ass!

Johnysupra

Rhenerie
Nov 7, 2007
Michigan
rhenerie.spaces.live.com
One thing to remember Decreaseing a springs length (Cut coils) increases the springs Rate (Pounds per inch traveled) so if you put "Riser thinga majiggys" or whatever on your car the springs will still be significantly stiffer because there is less spring material to flex.

To replace them, just rent a spring compressor set at a local Auto parts store, the cut ones should not have any preload so you can remove them. then compress the new (used) springs and put the top back on.

once you look at one outside of the car it will be quite easy to figure out.

TurboWarrior

Apr 1, 2005
Canada
Its not that hard. if the bolts are siezed it can be at the bottom of the shock. The whole tower with the shock and spring comes out in one piece front and rear. Theres not a lot to it.

Just swap out the whole thing you don't even need to dissassemble the towers. As long as the shocks are ok.

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
ForcedTorque said:
Here's the thing....I'm not at all knowlegeable on suspension. I thought there might be some sort of "riser thingy ma jiggers". And, once I have what ever I need, I'd need some good advise on how to use it.

I do have some stock springs on a parts car in the yard. But, again, I'd need coaching on how to remove them, and swap them into the car. Paying shipping on a set rather than pulling one is tempting. hahahah I know, I'm a dumb ass!

Just jump in there and do it.

It's not too bad.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Johnysupra said:
One thing to remember Decreaseing a springs length (Cut coils) increases the springs Rate (Pounds per inch traveled) so if you put "Riser thinga majiggys" or whatever on your car the springs will still be significantly stiffer because there is less spring material to flex.

To replace them, just rent a spring compressor set at a local Auto parts store, the cut ones should not have any preload so you can remove them. then compress the new (used) springs and put the top back on.

once you look at one outside of the car it will be quite easy to figure out.
Bingo!

Good post Johny welcome to SM! :)
(not to mention the dampers WILL be mismatched for the new spring rate from the cut springs)

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
Consensus is that of the evil:icon_evil stock springs. I see it being more time consuming than difficult. If it's only temporary, I don't see how stock is all that bad.

BTW, you are not a dumbass. At least your car is running. All I did the other day is I finally got the drivers side motor mount loose.
Don't tear your underside up just getting out of you driveway.

Johnysupra

Rhenerie
Nov 7, 2007
Michigan
rhenerie.spaces.live.com
IJ. said:
Bingo!

Good post Johny welcome to SM! :)
(not to mention the dampers WILL be mismatched for the new spring rate from the cut springs)

Very true i forgot to even mention that. Cut springs will blow out stock strut/shocks to :D ..

And thanks for the welcome, I thought i'd just slid in unnoticed :)