Custom cams came in....*pics*

Slow66

I think with my dipstick
Apr 3, 2005
Newington, CT
group a supra said:
slow those are about as big as my group a cams that i have in mine fair play

Nice! You know what duration the Group A cams spec out at? And just out of curiosity, what thickness HG are you running? Did you happen to check the piston to Valve clearances? Ill be checking mine in the next couple days, but it woudl be nice to have something to check my numbers against. I'm sure i'll be OK, even if i have to advance/retard the cams a few degrees to get a little extra clearance.

chevyeater

wastegate hose is pulled
Mar 30, 2005
Long Island, NY
The TRD cams give the car an evil, untamed sound @ a choppy 1100 rpm idle. A vacuum canister for the power brakes would be a good idea, especially with an automatic transmission. Also, you may want to consider some studs or a girdle on the camshaft journal caps.

I'm shopping for some replacements for my TRD cams and would like your opinion on the TED ones once you have them installed and degreed Slow 66. I had more valve clearance than clay with a 2mm headgasket, virgin head deck, standard size valves and standard Ross pistons.

aljordan

LEADED FUEL ONLY
Jul 14, 2005
Indianapolis, Indiana
www.apeserver.com
How are you doing the underbuckets? Is it 2 4ag sets pooled together?

I'm guessing you had the head ported and polished, and then flowed. Max flow should be around 12.5mm (orwhatever number it was) of valve lift, since thats what you got those cams at. Any more lift than that and its just a waste of time, and rpms.

I would assume that HKS did this on a sock head, and found max flow to be at their lift specs.

Can't wait to see how this thing does. Should be killer.

Slow66

I think with my dipstick
Apr 3, 2005
Newington, CT
Not yet, the $$ has been tight lately due to my new truck, btu she will be out and about in a couple months, and vids and pics will be posted as soon as i do, you can count on that.

On a side note, anyone who wants to run cams like these also know that even ferrea springs dont have enough seat or open pressure for these bad boys, and the trd ones just barely have enough i believe. I had to learn the hard way :)

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
Slow, your cams look lumpier than a set of stairs. To increase the psi of the spring I have installed shims on them before, if you have the clearance. I wish I could remember the name of the place that made custom springs for my pro fuel bike, not too bad on price. We run Red Shift 310 duration .725 lift

Slow66

I think with my dipstick
Apr 3, 2005
Newington, CT
suprarich said:
Slow, your cams look lumpier than a set of stairs. To increase the psi of the spring I have installed shims on them before, if you have the clearance. I wish I could remember the name of the place that made custom springs for my pro fuel bike, not too bad on price. We run Red Shift 310 duration .725 lift

True, i could shim for more pressure, but then i would start to worry about coil bind. It would probably be ok, btu i think im just gonna get the right springs the 1st time around, ive went this far, i suppose i shouldnt cut any corners....

Slow66

I think with my dipstick
Apr 3, 2005
Newington, CT
IJ. said:
How close do they come to coil bind full open?

IJ, unfortunately, i have not put them in the head yet. The furthest i got was pressure testing the ferrea springs and finding out they didnt have enough seat or open pressure. I then set the project aside for a few weeks until i could get the new springs, which i should be gettign soon. Once i get the springs, i will fully document the assembly of the head with pics, etc, so that hopefully others who may not know can see how involved it it.

Bullz_EyE

ToP DeaD CenTeR
Jan 26, 2006
San Diego, CA
Slow66 said:
...But i gotta do what i gotta do to reach the goals im aiming for...

Those cams are freakin nuclear! I just sifted through the whole thread. I'm surprised no one has asked...What are the goals for this vehicle?
I hear stock cams are good for over 600HP.

7MGTEsup

Formerly 'Down but not out'
Jun 14, 2005
England
Bullz_EyE said:
Those cams are freakin nuclear! I just sifted through the whole thread. I'm surprised no one has asked...What are the goals for this vehicle?

I think he's going for the big 1K RWHP

Dziuggy

eurotrash
Mar 31, 2005
san francisco, ca
dziuggy.com
Bullz_EyE said:

it is not the point stock cams are good or not. you can have 800+ with stock cams. cams are done to take advantage of top end power not becaue stock ones are bad

and cant wait to see your car in action Brian, is it going to tx2k6?? or just vegas

Slow66

I think with my dipstick
Apr 3, 2005
Newington, CT
IJ. said:
Slow: Cool!

Was thinking you may need to drop the Spring seats a bit Longer Stems and thinner Buckets to make room!

Very impressive set of Cams there! :)

IJ the buckets i got with the cam are very thin :) I really cant wait to get it all together. :evil2:

My goal for the car, in all honesty, is 1200whp. I'd like to bury the dyno in vegas. TX2k6 is too soon unfortunately for me to get the car there, btu im thinkin of flying down there for it to chill with some of those crazy texans!

group a supra

SPAWNING AN INTERCEPTOR
oneandgone said:
I can't seem to rip myself away from this thread! lol! Very impressive Bryan, you never cease to amaze me!

I'd really like to see a detailed components and specs list from Bryan, Brian, Steve, and Ian! C'mon guys!! This would all be great info for the FAQ section!

grant when you say steve did you mean me :)