Crash Safety Ratings on the MKIII

suprageezer

Aug 27, 2005
Southern California
Anyone besides me notice there is no such thing as an 82-90 Supra, so if you ask me that alone makes that chart meaningless drivel. The weight of a Supra speaks for itself, the weight of the doors, the channel down the side of the car, do you realize the strength this channel alone adds to the sheet metal in a side impact. I've seen so may pics on here where the drivers showed their Supras got nailed and what happened to the other car. I realize no car makes you 100% safe in every situtaion, but I chose my import for the beef it really is.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
foreverpsycotic said:
I feel safer in the supra than i do in any other vehicle, even my dads F150.

lol...is that because you are aware that an F150 (previous generation) will fold and crush its passengers in a large frontal impact?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
the Supre has a STRONGER front frame than the F-150's had. It's fully boxed on the supra while the F-150 is a C...

trucks are NOT safe. SUV's are NOT safe. I get into arguements all the time about asshats in their H2's saying "I'm allowed to have the best protection to my family." When your SUV runs a car over, killing the people inside, and you flip that thing and get crushed, come back to me...

Sadly I've seen it happen all too often :(

turbo_gg

Jan 30, 2007
OC
suprageezer said:
Anyone besides me notice there is no such thing as an 82-90 Supra

Yeah, what is up with that, they're combining the MK2's, and MK3's. What about 91-92? Kind of weird.

2543arvin

Moving to Japan!!!
Nov 30, 2006
Jacksonville, NC
The supra is a tank, I wrecked mine a few months back and went off the road and ran over two trees that were about 9 inches in diameter and uprooted one of them, yet only popped out my passenger foglight.

2543arvin

Moving to Japan!!!
Nov 30, 2006
Jacksonville, NC
Doward said:
Am I the only one that HASN'T wrecked his/her supra? :(

Okay before everyone starts with the cheap shots, this was the first and only time I've wrecked my supra. Long story short, it was wet and tires were bald and ran off the road, wasn't speeding, actually was doing about 20 mph, but going up a hill in 3rd gear, and it kicked sideways and went off the road. But lesson learned and ordered tires that same day! ;)

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
Doward said:
Am I the only one that HASN'T wrecked his/her supra? :(

Nope you're not the only one...

I've never caused a crash.
Been rear-ended once (in a Jeep GC) while I was taking my 7M to the machine shop, the trunk got smashed in, the bumper pinched it up, and I couldn't open it to get the block out :icon_evil Had to muscle it out of the rear doors, all this while I was stopped at a red light...

But shit does happen, so I'm glad I drive a tank, I feel alot safer than in many other larger cars... Love my Supra!!!

flubyux2

Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
Apr 2, 2005
st. pete, fl
www.myspace.com
im accident free in my Supra, havent wrecked any of the 4 previous supras either! but im very confident that if i do get in an accident w/ the supra, someone is going to be goin home missing an ear or not bein able to fuck! nah, im just kidding... i just hope nothing happens to my car while the top is off, thats all i ask.

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
TurboWarrior said:
We're airbags in the 91 Supras?. That would make sense as to why it says 82-90. The pop up light thing i dont really get.

Ill search for a better test. But it was hard enough to find anything. Most of these sites lack the Supra of all generations.

Yup, in the US, 90-92 had airbags, but it certainly could be different in Australia. You can tell the test isn't that precise though, 82-90 assumes MKII and MKIII are going to behave exactly the same in an accident, which is completely wrong....

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
As I recall there are some subtle differences on the Mkiii as far as door reinforcement etc, depending on what market the car was sold in (US, UK, AUS, JDM etc...) ...I can't quite remember. I would venture a guess that it would affect test results.

Also, sport roof has to be a factor.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
sport roof should be stronger in an accident because of the extra bracing...

now if the top is off... I dunno

but I'm not scared when the top is off, if it rolls the back roof area is the strong point...

Jayhall

WHIP THE PISS OUT OF THEM
May 7, 2005
Surrey BC
Supra saved me

p790186_1.jpg

p790186_2.jpg

p790186_3.jpg

i hit
p790186_4.jpg

and those nasty pop up head lights, proved that when the other guy said " He didnt have his head lights on and i couldnt see him coming" that he was a scum bag liar

p790186_5.jpg

atleast i took a brand new bmw with me. His suspension was beyond fucked, i pretty much hit his wheel