Crash Safety Ratings on the MKIII

TurboWarrior

Apr 1, 2005
Canada
These are results from Australia and New Zeland.
It seems our cars are a danger to ourselves and others in a collision. Mostly others.

Taken from this article: http://www.monash.edu.au/news/assets/includes/UCSR-media-release.doc

The Mkii and Mkiii are listed under these categories:
-Vehicles much more likely than average to seriously injure other road
users in a crash
-Worse than average crashworthiness and aggressivity

Here is a comparison
p786130_1.jpg

XX is the worst rating X is second worst
0 is average
checkmarks are better than average
Blank means no rating

KicknAsphlt

Occasional Peruser
I can vouch for the saftey of a MkIII to the driver.....

CRW_3487.jpg

CRW_3488.jpg

CRW_3489.jpg

CRW_3490.jpg

CRW_3491.jpg

CRW_3492.jpg

CRW_3493.jpg

The other car was worse off. T-boned the lady doing about 40, was a Nissan/Infiniti SUV. She was OK personally, but her car was destroyed. Aside from that front-end damage, only cabin damage structurally is the spiderweb down by my bas sticker on the windshield.

TurboWarrior

Apr 1, 2005
Canada
brutal man :( we're you hurt at all?

Notice that most of the vehicles on the bottom list in the article are trucks? lol What a tank

KicknAsphlt

Occasional Peruser
Nah, not seriously. My neck gets really stiff and sore still at times, but aside from that I'm good. They weren't kidding when they said these cars are tanks, that's for sure. I made out pretty good in the deal though, Ins. totaled the car for more than I paid for it, plus I got a settlement from the other co. for bodily injury (although, in hindsight, I should've gone for more...). It allowed me to get my current car, which hasn't been the greatest, but decent. And now, with this one totaled, I made out again...LOL! After the buyback, they cut me a check for $6589, and I paid $6200 for it....heheh. So gonna fix 'er up, put a JDM motor in it (7M again), freshen up the Trans, and it'll be a killer DD with no issues.

TurboWarrior

Apr 1, 2005
Canada
Don't you love it when it works out like that. Same deal happened to me. My old supra was stolen and wrecked in a police pursuit. The car only cost me $2000 and i was paid out $6500 in insurance. Needless to say I have a better one now.

Glad you got that settlement paying for healthcare must suck

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
These studies need to be taken with a grain of salt, to say the least. The folks in Canada doing these tend to rank you worse because you don't have an airbag, whether you need it or not. They also tag our cars for pop up lights.

If you can find a study done where it's cars against cars (not concrete walls - how often do we hit those, anyway?) and they measure the damage done to the dummies in both vehicles, you'll see very different results IMO. Nobody seems willing to run that kind of study, though.

TurboWarrior

Apr 1, 2005
Canada
We're airbags in the 91 Supras?. That would make sense as to why it says 82-90. The pop up light thing i dont really get.

Ill search for a better test. But it was hard enough to find anything. Most of these sites lack the Supra of all generations.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I have only seen ONE wreck where the passenger cabin was deformed enough to injure the people inside...

Forgot who it was, but he saw the accident coming and pulled his friend in the passenger seat pretty much out of his seat and saved their legs...

I feel a HELL of a lot safer in my supra than I do in nearly any other car. If you ever get a chance to REALLY look the car over and then look at most modern cars, you'll see the difference...

We have a VERY stiff chassis compared to what you'd expect, and this helps a lot in a crash...

89TurboPC

May 10, 2007
Beach Cities, SoCal
There is NO WAY I trust the Prelude than in the Supra.
My friend crashed his 87 a long time ago. Rear tire blew up and sent the rear left to the median divider. It then bounced and sent the front left to the divider as well. The result is a broken front wheel and the car basically bent like a letter C. Smashed the windshield and driver side window. He walked a way with 1 cut from broken glasses when he try to pushed the door open.
After seeing that result, I bought the 89 to replace my 85 instead of buying a 90 cressida.

flubyux2

Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
Apr 2, 2005
st. pete, fl
www.myspace.com
the mk3 does very well in head on and frontal offset collision. rear collision isnt as good but pretty sufficient. the side impact, not too sure.

ive had a friend who had an early 87 turbo and took a tree to the passenger frame rail at about 45. both doors opened and they walked away. the driver had a broken collarbone i think, thats it. it pushed the frame rail back a few inches.

trydrew

Suprafied
Nov 4, 2005
Earth
Poodles said:
I feel a HELL of a lot safer in my supra than I do in nearly any other car. If you ever get a chance to REALLY look the car over and then look at most modern cars, you'll see the difference...

That reminded me of this article, one which I found quite interesting, about new Subarus. The sourced link for the second page was broken but... here's the first:

picture0999se.jpg

Not to say I don't feel safe in the Supra...

flubyux2

Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
Apr 2, 2005
st. pete, fl
www.myspace.com
actually, Subaru derived that from their rally stuffs. its an integrated H-pattern roll cage. the car can support its entire weight sitting upside down on the roof. few cars, if any, in that class have an integrated roll over protection system like the subarus do. going from the GC-series Impreza to the GD series impreza, the chassis received 200% improvement in structural rigidity yet still weighs in at barely over 3000lbs