Cooling Issues

hellraiser456

Dec 29, 2006
canada
Hello

I am currently trying to diagnose a strange but problematic cooling issue. I am running out of options and i think it is an early sign of a BHG but i want to check some other things first.

Background is that one day my car started to run warm under cruising (could be 60km/h or 120km/h). the engine was usually around 3k rpm when i noticed it happening and was under little load...meaning not under boost or accelerating. thinking it was the t stat i replace it but the problem is still there. strange thing is tough sometimes my engine will run cooler. this usually happens at WOT or under boost/high load. that said i can not make it run warm under any kind of load..only under steady cursing situations. I don't believe my engine is burning anything it shouldn't...i have had a friend drive behind me (he is the mechanic guy) and said i am burning nothing...though i am going to double check that tonight.

I have replaced the t stat with a brand new Toyota oem one. i am currently out in the garage doing a compression test. MY overflow tank doesn't seem to be behaving strangely (its not over flowing with coolant at all...infact it never goes an inch above the full line). MY mechnic friend suggested a possible clogged rad? after the compression test i am going to try and burp the system assuming the test results come back good. which i somehow believe they should..based on how the engine sounds and pulls.

Last but not last i think i have a vacuum leak. the car has a bit of trouble starting...and i looking around i think i fond it and from what i see it is the vacuum hose that goes to the vsv. would this somehow affect the cooling...what is the excact purpose of the VSV and where excactly is it located...

Sorry for the long post...and i know i had a previous thread somewhat regarding this issue but i couldn't remember the name of it.

I will post the compression results as soon as i have them..

Thanks in advance and if you want me to check anything else or have any further suggestions i would be very appreciative.

one a side note...if it is a coming BHG (YAY that would make me an official 7M owner) according to my research i should be able to use just a cometic or oem HG. I want no more than 400hp and i will probably get that from an upgraded ct as i don't really want to invest too much as this is my DD and i want to keep it that way. Just want to double check though.

EDIT: compression test is in...170psi across the board....see my post a few posts down for details

thanks

Last edited:

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
Get the radiator checked like you said just to be sure. An engine undertray missing can cause fluctuations in the temp too, especially at highway speeds. There are two VSV's, one of them can affect starting the car, I'll let someone more versed on VSV's fill you in on that one.

ATL88Supra

The Asshole
Jun 22, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
UNDEERTRAYYYYYYY !!!!! with out that the air just passes under the car and makes a little vacume in the front part of the car with out the tray you are geting almost no cooling well not enf to keep the system cool under highway speeds

go find a old junker supra with that undertray intact and jack it and that will most likely fix it

hellraiser456

Dec 29, 2006
canada
ok compression results are in.....170psi across the board with no more than 1-2 psi difference. I did this on a mildly warm engine with the TB stuck open.

hmm i didn't realize the under tray was that important...i do have an intact fan shroud however. i will look for a under tray.

anything else while the car is in pieces

hellraiser456

Dec 29, 2006
canada
ma7089 said:
could be your water pump. not flowing water through until you go in WOT

I though about that but that said wouldn't that mean the engine would run alot warmer under load....to me its not how much load for the water pump...its rpm. and at WOT there is a lot of heat to remove. plus it still doesn't explain why im running cooler....

however its an idea...how do i test a water pump?

im glad to see in not getting the usual "its a BHG"

OH and how much are vavle cover gaskets from Toyota usually?

Last edited:

ATL88Supra

The Asshole
Jun 22, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
hellraiser456 said:
I though about that but that said wouldn't that mean the engine would run alot warmer under load....to me its not how much load for the water pump...its rpm. and at WOT there is a lot of heat to remove. plus it still doesn't explain why im running cooler....

however its an idea...how do i test a water pump?

im glad to see in not getting the usual "its a BHG"

OH and how much are vavle cover gaskets from Toyota usually?

ITS A BHG