cooking 7m's

Status
Not open for further replies.

traviswithaG

May 21, 2006
winnipeg
I have a friend whos just blown his second 7m this summer , , What happens , it starts knocking then gets worse n worse and blows over the coarse of a month or so
his mods - lexus afm ( with out the tunning screw)
-550's
-upgraded intercooler
- boost controller ( he pushes about 14 psi)
- now he just tells me that the 7m is crap and candle handle that hp stalk
his a/f guage says hes running really rich ,
-3 in exhaust and codl air intake
i did a search on this forum and found the post with the blown injector , maybe thats his problem?

i have no idea how much power he actually has , but i have stalk tuned but rebuilt motor with forged internals and metal hg with aprox 800k on it
and his car with the the kncoking motor pulls on mine like fucking crazy

now is the 7m just crap and cant handle these mods stalk ? or is he doing something wrong?
im really curious cuz i just dropped 6 grand into rebuilding mine and dont want to blow it up

Wills7MGTE

( . )( . )'s RULE!!!!
May 12, 2006
Jackson, MO
www.myspace.com
It's hard to say, I have seen several people in MO with between 500 and 800rwhp on 7M's all had MHG, and built bottom ends, he may be running the oil dry due to pump issues or something of that nature, could be fuel delivery, leaning out under boost = blown engine quick. If he has a detonation then could be his fuel or intercooler ineffeciency or a host of shit. If his car's knocking like you say and he still pushes it by racing you and shit then hes retarded and deserves what he got. 7M's need the HG done and if they got mileage gotta do bottom end too, but oil is a big issue on them, change it regularly, use good oil, make sure especially when you do a rebuild you get a new oil pump and theres another mod i cant remember has to do with the line or whatever that sucks oil out of the pan doesnt go in deep enough in the stock setup or some shit like that.

7M's if built right and taken care of and not abused are good engines and make big power. After a rebuild or engine swap you need 500 to 1500 miles of break in without racing if he didn't do that he may have had a small issue with oil pump or injecotrs and ignored it and its sign like the knocking and blown it being a dumb ricer. IDK for sure its a complicated issue you have, maybe someone else can add to what I told ya.

traviswithaG

May 21, 2006
winnipeg
what if the oil pump was not replace during the engine rebuild ? is my motor dumbed to blow?
can i change and upgrade oil pumps easily?

traviswithaG

May 21, 2006
winnipeg
okay one more question u said after a rebuild i shudnt race it for at least 500 k
welll fuck i was told it was good to go right away ? but its still running ? even though ive raced it like crazy ... should i drive it really nice next spring is it to late to start the nice driving?
by the way its tops out at 210 k's shudnt it be faster?

traviswithaG

May 21, 2006
winnipeg
yea i know its so hard though :( maybe when i bring it out next spring after being tore away from it for a long cold winter i willl have more will power not to step on it

traviswithaG

May 21, 2006
winnipeg
so im should get a new oil pump an dmetal hg i got i think i mentioned that
and i guess my motor is not going to blow like my friends if i make sure everything is working properly ?

MRSUPRA

Apr 11, 2005
Maryland
Nothing wrong with a 7M.. This has been talked about a hundered times; The knocking is likely casued by either oil starvation, or improper engine build. I am making 511rwhp on race gas and always making 400+rwhp on pump gas with my stock engine internals and stock oil system. And thats with over 3 years of heavy boosting.

But honestly, I would go with a 1JZ. It will fix all of your problems in life.:icon_bigg

Status
Not open for further replies.