Computer Questions: Memory Issues

robeats91t

237lbs. of Ballast
Jun 4, 2005
Tampa, FL
I've been running the most janky memory configuration for about 6 months now and I've had enough. 1 x 512mb PC2700 and 1 x 256 PC2100 DDR'd. The memory sticks are about the same age but aren't playing together nicely. I had to loosen the memory timings for the system to be stable - SPD timing of CAS Latency @ 133MHz for both sticks is 2 clocks, but I'm at 2.5.

I'm running Windoze XP on an overclocked Athlon XP Thoroughbred 2200+ at 2600+ and I'm stable, all current drivers. I get lockups though when encoding to Xvid (anything 2-pass or longer than 3 hours and it'll lock) and I've recently noticed stuttering from Winamp's playback when scrolling through albums in Picasa. I'm not a gamer and I don't need the fastest/best PC, but if possible I'd like to smooth things out a little bit without upgrading my cpu/motherboard.

Does it make sense to buy a matched pair of PC3200 DDR memory? I figure it's going to be $150 to $200 for between 1GB & 2GB of anything worthy, and it's memory that I can't carry over to a new board if I do upgrade.

Any ideas? I've been using Newegg pretty much exclusively for my pricing; I've always been satisfied with them. What are you all running and what do you suggest? As always, thanks! :icon_bigg

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
check price watch? why not just back down the OC some? If you arent gaming and really giving things a work out and dont need to be pushing the system so hard. if your board can support it go with some ddr2 but i dont think matched sets are really needed. Just get a stick of 1gb and be done with it.

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
Sometimes running two stick of unmatched DIMMs can keep you from reaching the advertised CAS latencies.

What's your front side bus (FSB) overclocked to? PC 3200 isn't going to help unless you're actually running a 200 MHz FSB. Latency is much more important. However, spending extra money on fast RAM is generally not worth it. I'm not saying go with the cheapest available, I just don't think you'll see any benefit from going with "performance" memory.

I run two sticks of matched 1GB OCZ memory. Whatever you do, make sure you stress test your computer and do memory checks to make sure you won't be corrupting your data with memory that isn't working correctly. I highly recommend using Memtest86 (http://www.memtest86.com/). Run it overnight and if you get any errors then there is something wrong with your memory, it isn't compatible with your motherboard, or you are overclocking too much. Memory errors could be the cause of your XviD encoding locking.

PimpiNJ253

Supraless
Sep 15, 2006
Kent, Washington
www.myspace.com
my memory is like 3 years old. I have 2x 256mb mushkin black 3200's or something along those lines. never really let me down. And I game alot. I also have my barton 2500 over clocked to 3200. I have had this setup for YEARS and havent fried my ram or CPU. I just got a really good cooling setup.

Syris

Need Rust Repair
Aug 24, 2005
Bryan, OH /Lima, OH
its about 100$ for a 1gb pair for instance of corsair pc3200. IMO it would be worth it in your case for you are running two different speeds of ram, the 2100 slows the 2700 down to run at 2100 speeds.

SupraDerk

The Backseat Flyer
Sep 17, 2005
Tallahassee
swaq said:
Sometimes running two stick of unmatched DIMMs can keep you from reaching the advertised CAS latencies.

Yeah, you should really try to match your sticks of RAM if you're going to go purely off of the manufacturers Specs. Mismatching isn't done at the factory when they come up with those numbers, and PC's will "de-tune" your hardware in order to get everything to play nice, so you're not really helping yourself out.

What's your front side bus (FSB) overclocked to? PC 3200 isn't going to help unless you're actually running a 200 MHz FSB.

That's EXACTLY what I was going to ask as soon as I saw you dropping numbers. You want the FSB and RAM frequency to be the same, or you want the RAM frequency to be higher than the FSB (mainboard turns down the RAM frequency to match the FSB). If you go out and just buy RAM with a greater frequency and leave your CPU with the same FSB, you're not making your system any better.

cwapface

Supernerd
Mar 30, 2005
Eugene, OR
www.dylanwiggins.com
depending on how long it will be before you buy a new system, consider just taking out the stick of 256. it sounds like whatever performance gain you may get from having it in is offset by it ruining your stability

robeats91t

237lbs. of Ballast
Jun 4, 2005
Tampa, FL
Awesome info guys, thanks!

I pulled the 256MB PC2100 DIMM out and am running the 512MB PC2700. My bus speed is 166MHz and my FSB:Ram speed ratio is at 1:1, which isn't really exciting. It almost booted at 200MHz; not sure if it's the RAM that can't do it or the CPU. This processor is a Rev B Thoroughbred which was redesigned for 200MHz clk/400MHz FSB, but I'm not sure if this particular chip will do it, being rated at 333MHz FSB.

So the general consensus is to find a matched pair at 166MHz/PC2700? I wish I had a PC3200 stick I could throw in here to see if this CPU would hold 200MHz...

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
robeats91t said:
Awesome info guys, thanks!

I pulled the 256MB PC2100 DIMM out and am running the 512MB PC2700. My bus speed is 166MHz and my FSB:Ram speed ratio is at 1:1, which isn't really exciting. It almost booted at 200MHz; not sure if it's the RAM that can't do it or the CPU. This processor is a Rev B Thoroughbred which was redesigned for 200MHz clk/400MHz FSB, but I'm not sure if this particular chip will do it, being rated at 333MHz FSB.

So the general consensus is to find a matched pair at 166MHz/PC2700? I wish I had a PC3200 stick I could throw in here to see if this CPU would hold 200MHz...

If you're trying to overclock to 200MHz, then you would want PC3200. Also, I want to reiterate that you should test your memory with Memtest86 every time you change your overclock or change what memory sticks you have. If you're getting close to the point where your computer won't boot then it is very likely that your computer can boot, but you're still getting memory errors. You should also use Prime95 to stress test your CPU once you've determined your memory speeds are stable.

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
Man, you need to bite the bullet and upgrade RAM. Also, what is your cooling config on that processor? If stock cooling, I'd suggest an Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro 64 or equivalent. They are the best buy for a match of cheap, quiet and cold. Occasional glitches are usually the memory's fault, but if you are overclocking, the CPU may be trying to throw in the towel.

robeats91t

237lbs. of Ballast
Jun 4, 2005
Tampa, FL
Cooling config on the cpu is stock. *ducks*

Heh, I've treated this computer like far too many people treat their Supras: Overclocked with an inadequate cooling system... :nono:

That Freezer 64 looks pretty slick, with heat pipes and that very unique fan design...I'm not too worried about noise, but if it works (and it's still available somewhere) then I may have to jump on it.

I would like to be able to run the memory as fast as possible, so I'm going to find some PC3200.

*jots down shopping list*

And I've downloaded a bootable iso of memtest86. I'll start playing with it once I get things stable. I did an Xvid test and it would've completed...if I didn't open Winamp. For some reason Winamp locks the system; it's the only prog I use regularly that has been an issue since I've been tweaking settings today.