Computer help needed

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Tanya: It can short shit out if you're sloppy applying it! ;)

Bit of splooge in the wrong place = ZAP and dead CPU :(

JaV: Yep that's the critter!
(In another life I was a Mega PC nerd)

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
IJ. said:

Ohhh ok, I applied mine with a business card and was pretty anal about it. Glad I was now, heh

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
JaV: It's a panel that goes into a bay and has a bunch of temp probes that readout the temps of components and run fans based on your settings!

Think of my car build then apply that to PC's ;)

I get a bit OCD when I take on a project/hobby!
(Had the 2nd 3ghz P4 in the country the 1st being an engineering sample they wouldn't let me have)

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Built this about 4>5 years back and haven't bothered upgrading since as I no longer game but back then it was a hammer! :)

Sys specs
Intel P4 3.06 Ghz/533
1Gb Pc1066 Rdram
Asus P4t-533-c
Mitsubishi 22"DiamondPro Monitor
Audigy DE
Dt 2200 5.1 speakers
Leadtek A350 TDH 5900U/256Mb 44.90 Det driver
Apaptec 2100s Scsi Raid card
U160 Scsi 15000rpm Raid0 18Gb Seagate Cheetah X15 x 3 drives
Swiftech MCW 462u Cpu water block
Ehiem 1048 pump
Blackice Extreme2 Radiator/Dual 120mm fans
Digidoc5
Adaptec 2930c Scsi card
Plextor Scsi Cdrom
Plextor Scsi Cdrw
Intel Pro/100 nic
WinXP pro sp1

520w Topower PSU
520w Topower PSU
650 APC Ups
700 APC Ups

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
SupraDerk said:
Back when I was rockin the P4 I had a Thermalright SP-94 heatsink and this mofo
Vantec Tornado

I had a P4 2.6c overclocked to 3.3ghz and the thing ran at like 18*C idle and no more than 23*C under load, it was awesome, but the fan was sooooooooooooooooooooooooo loud!

wow, that's crazy

I ordered a Nexus PHT-7750 CPUfan/heatsink and I can hardly hear the damn thing, of course, as previously stated, still runs at 45-55*C
but I dont overclock, dont know how, nor do I know what it means, LOL

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
IJ. said:

Actually the stuff is supposed to be non-conductive. You should still apply carefully. You only need enough to ensure good contact between the processor and the heatsink. Too much thermal compound and it will make it worse...

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Swag: Correct they've changed it somewhat from the original formula!

Even though Arctic Silver thermal compound is specifically engineered for high electrical resistance, you should keep the compound away from processor, memory, and motherboard traces and pins. There is a possibility that dust or metal particles and/or shavings carried by airflow inside the computer case could contaminate the compound and increase its electrical conductivity.​

NgoFcukinWay

Formerly Got Boost?
Apr 3, 2005
Houston, Tx
anyone know how i can wipe out windows XP from one of my hard drives? the bastard ended up getting installed on both of my hard drives. i've no idea why it did it though....maybe my sister did it....I want it to go back as my storage drive and not as my main boot drive.

NgoFcukinWay

Formerly Got Boost?
Apr 3, 2005
Houston, Tx
i ran the seagate disc wizard instead. but yeah, i tried that earlier and it didn't wanna leave, so i ended up reinstalling windows on my main drive and had it boot from there then ran the disc wizard.

NgoFcukinWay

Formerly Got Boost?
Apr 3, 2005
Houston, Tx
fdisk? you mean floppy? no tengo un floppy drive. thinkin' bout getting the mitsumi floppy/card reader drive though.

anyways, i got my storage drive totally cleared. now i have a slight problem with my master drive. i installed xp again onto the main drive so i'm guessing i now have two accounts on it. the admin, and something else. At the DOS lookin' start up part, it'll ask me which XP Pro to start from. I just wanna clear this stuff out so it was like new again. BTW, it's an OEM raptor drive so no CD came with it.

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
You don't need a floppy drive to use fdisk... I usually use the Linux version of fdisk which is easier to use and works better anyway (doesn't matter if you're planning on installing Windows). All you have to do is boot to a Linux LiveCD (instead of a Win98 floppy boot disk). Then the WinXP install will give you the option of formatting whatever partitions you made with fdisk.

Cravin Boost

MMMM Smells like coolant
Nov 8, 2005
Eugene OR
Well yes if you use the WHOLE FREEKING tube of AS on the CPU your prolly gonna have a problem even if its not electrical. and weather you use water cooling or air/fan based cooling you still need TIM (Thermal Interface Material) I use AS my self along with Watercooling. The thing is too much TIM will act as an insulator and keep all the heat at the CPU and not pass it along to the heat disapation unit (what ever that is) so thew idea is to get just enough to make sure you have the maximum contact with the heat dissapation unit your useing (water block or fan block). and BTW the little blue/green/pink/orange piece of plastic is not TIM (said but have seen people not remove that and fry the CPU and or Mobo). and yes you really need to clean out the case a couple 3 times a year dust coated parts = heat = parts meeting an early demise. OK rant off