Computer help needed

Yellow 13

Lurker
Apr 4, 2006
Fairfield, California
Today I took my computer apart to get the dust out. There was a bunch on the CPU cooling fins and caught in the fan so I took those out and blew all the dust off. while doing that I noticed some silicone type stuff between the processor and the cooling fins. I didnt think much of it since I didnt remove any. I put it all back together and it worked fine for about 10 hours and then ten minutes ago it suddenly crashed and started beeping. I waited a few minutes and started it and it said the processor overheated, so im guessing its because of that silicone stuff. I need to know what its called so I can pick some up, right now Ive got a room fan on full blast air cooling the computer.

Quick answers would be appreciated because I dont want to run my comp like this for to long.

Cliffs: processor overheated, need to know what the silicone stuff between the processor and cooling fins is called.

Yellow 13

Lurker
Apr 4, 2006
Fairfield, California
Never mind I think I found the problem, the genius I am forgot to plug the heatsinks fan in. Im gonna let it run like this and see if any thing happens.

Go get it hot playing some Civ IV and see if it starts to lag like it was.

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
I used Arctic Silver 5 compound from newegg.com, works great. Ive heard nothing but good things about it which is why I ordered it.

$6.95ish

if you removed the heatsink from the socket there, you're probably going to want to get some more goop on there or it may overheat

steven89

Jul 8, 2006
Houston, TX
Arctic Silver 5 is the way to go, it usually drops about 10C off from normal heatsink compound(did for my old setup). What kind of processor do you have? Depending on what kind of processor you have you can almost just get a new heatsink that will improve temps a lot.

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
From what I have read about P4 processors, they run pretty hot. Dont know if you have one or not, but I think it takes a lot for them to overheat.

I have a brand new CPU fan and heatsink with the Arctic compound and I occasionally check my BIOS, usually runs from 45-55*C... I've looked up P4 specs and most of them run from 65-70*C

When my PC started overheating (due to a cracked fan bracket) temps were getting up to 117*C

o_O

steven89

Jul 8, 2006
Houston, TX
Tanya said:
From what I have read about P4 processors, they run pretty hot. Dont know if you have one or not, but I think it takes a lot for them to overheat.

I have a brand new CPU fan and heatsink with the Arctic compound and I occasionally check my BIOS, usually runs from 45-55*C... I've looked up P4 specs and most of them run from 65-70*C

When my PC started overheating (due to a cracked fan bracket) temps were getting up to 117*C

o_O

Yea, P4s with Prescott (the cpu core they used) run really hot. They also have a built in safety feature that makes em shut off before critical temps. A new quiet/efficient heatsink and AC5(arctic silver 5) would do it good. My AMD Athlon 64 X2 runs at 34*C but im liquid cooled..lol

Edit - running all the way up to 117*C is REALLY bad for your processor.

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
steven89 said:
Yea, P4s with Prescott (the cpu core they used) run really hot. They also have a built in safety feature that makes em shut off before critical temps. A new quiet/efficient heatsink and AC5(arctic silver 5) would do it good. My AMD Athlon 64 X2 runs at 34*C but im liquid cooled..lol

Edit - running all the way up to 117*C is REALLY bad for your processor.

yeah well it shut down shortly after, like 2 minutes later, lol

apparently that's the shutdown point for the P4s, or my P4 anyway...

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Not a big fan of AS it's very conductive and can cause HUGE issues if you're not careful in the application!

Been watercooled for 4>5 years now and would never go back to air cooled!

JustAnotherVictim

Supramania Contributor
IJ. said:
Not a big fan of AS it's very conductive and can cause HUGE issues if you're not careful in the application!

Been watercooled for 4>5 years now and would never go back to air cooled!
Better hope your pump doesn't stop running.
That happened to my brother's computer and luckily he had a cpu temp monitor running. Noticed it before it did any real damage.
Sounded a little prison break alarm lol.

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
IJ. said:

please explain for computer retards such as myself